Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Alpe d' huez for the Tour in July.

My wife and I are traveling to grenoble in July and hopefully catching the pro's on the alpe d' huez. Travel arrangements to get from grenoble to the stage are hard to come by. Had hoped there would be shuttle buses or summit. Had hoped to travel up early doors and catch a bus back at night. Any info or experiences welcome. Any one else heading over?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Alek | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies.

We have booked a self catering apartment in Grenoble for the week. Just need to arrange transport to the base of the climb and we'll walk the rest.

Will contact tourist information and try to book tickets on a shuttle bus or similar.

Cheers

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Once waited all afternoon in 38 degree heat for the tour on the lower slopes of the Alpe in 2003. Waited and watched the caravan nearly running people over and throwing Haribo and wheels of cheese out to a lucky few. Then the riders finally whizzed by in thirty seconds, led out by the infamous 'blue train.'

Anticlimatic is an understatement. Cycling is for participation or the TV, avoid one of the most boring days of your life (not as interesting as the white water kayaking based in Briancon, bad decision; oh for just one more day on the river, so long ago.)

chiv30 replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Once waited all afternoon in 38 degree heat for the tour on the lower slopes of the Alpe in 2003. Waited and watched the caravan nearly running people over and throwing Haribo and wheels of cheese out to a lucky few. Then the riders finally whizzed by in thirty seconds, led out by the infamous 'blue train.'

Anticlimatic is an understatement. Cycling is for participation or the TV, avoid one of the most boring days of your life (not as interesting as the white water kayaking based in Briancon, bad decision; oh for just one more day on the river, so long ago.)

That's your problem .....lower slopes , however this year with two ascents in the same stage they won't be going as quick nor as bunched up 2nd time round plus the day is what you make of it , talk to ppl have a laugh enjoy the caravan and just remember theseguys are why ppl want to climb those huge mmountain passes ....in fact you can ride them before they do on the same day and get fantastic support .....feel like a pro for a day  1

Farky | 10 years ago
0 likes

You will find it tough to get camping in Bourg for less than a week if even thats still available. No council site either.
Head further up the valley to Le Grave and the council site should have a pitch open even late in the day for next to nothing.
Id hire a car myself...no idea about buses as we always hire.
Roughing it is the way to go but the campers mightve taken all the roadside spots a few days earlier and the dutch taken over the climb.
Try looking for a friendly hotel/selfcaterling lodge owner that will allow the use of garden...most do so for the race only and again may already have been booked but email prior and you might get lucky.

Liam Cahill | 10 years ago
0 likes

Loads of bus information here  1 I recommend as early as possible! http://www.transisere.fr/ftp/FR_Lignes/3030%20%C3%A0%20partir%20du%201er...

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

You may want to think of getting into bourg about 9am , so I'd suggest your best bet is to drive yourself there , majority of campsites and hotels were fully booked by December 2012 and having followed the tourlast year it pays to get a spot early if you want a good one.

II'm based at the bottom of alpe dhuez for this year so it's up out the campsite and start walking up about 8ish  4

As for traveling in , it's a surprisingly longish journey from grenoble to bourg and I only saw main buses coming through last year

farrell replied to chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

majority of campsites and hotels were fully booked by December 2012 and having followed the tourlast year it pays to get a spot early if you want a good one.

II'm based at the bottom of alpe dhuez for this year so it's up out the campsite and start walking up about 8ish

We've still not sorted a campsite as we couldn't find anywhere that didn't want to charge for a full week, we're only in Bourg from Tuesday to Friday so we're hoping that if we turn up on spec someone may sort us a space out for 3 nights. If not, we are roughing it, I can see it being more fun and more comfortable than kipping in Euston and St Pancras.

*edit*
And warmer and less windy than the platform at Sheffield.

chiv30 replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:
chiv30 wrote:

majority of campsites and hotels were fully booked by December 2012 and having followed the tourlast year it pays to get a spot early if you want a good one.

II'm based at the bottom of alpe dhuez for this year so it's up out the campsite and start walking up about 8ish

We've still not sorted a campsite as we couldn't find anywhere that didn't want to charge for a full week, we're only in Bourg from Tuesday to Friday so we're hoping that if we turn up on spec someone may sort us a space out for 3 nights. If not, we are roughing it, I can see it being more fun and more comfortable than kipping in Euston and St Pancras.

*edit*
And warmer and less windy than the platform at Sheffield.

Just be aware that if you are roughing it a lot of the area around bourg is covered by the ecrins national park and camping there is frowned upon unless it's a recognised spot.

As mentioned above le grave isn't a bad idea but again it's the traveling in on the day that you may suffer with the only other option I guess is get upto dutch corner a day or so before the stage , get friendly with the dutch and see if you can pitch a small 2 man tent next to one of the camper vans , as long as you have beer or wine they should welcome you in  4

Latest Comments