Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Strava abroad

Probably a stoopid question but can i use Strava or map my run on the i phone abroad for free?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks folks much appreciated

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

The iphone has data roaming switched off by default these days. Someone with the first gen iphone complained about an £8k phone bill or something after watching youtube vids on holiday.

So you shouldn't have to do anything.

andycoventry | 10 years ago
0 likes

In IOS if you go settings - general - cellular and switch Cellular Data to off as soon as you get abroad, all GPS related functions will work will no chance of a massive bill.

All GPS based apps I have used all work mapping, then use wifi to upload and download maps.

Just remember to turn it back on when you get back to UK.

Mr Jono | 10 years ago
0 likes

For a recent trip to Mallorca I used MotionX GPS app (a couple quid I think). It works without the sim installed, so on my rides I'd remove the sim (but take it with you and the pin to get it in and out in case of emergencies!), tracked the ride and then uploaded the gpx files to the strava site when I got home. Zero data charges but tracked every mile.

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

Lol cheers anyway  1

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

ios i phone 4

mikecoffee replied to skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes
skitza wrote:

ios i phone 4

Sorry android user can't help with any specific instructions

mikecoffee | 10 years ago
0 likes

what phone do you have ios or android?

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

Simple as that!? Really ? ta

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ensure you don't have data roaming enabled on your phone. That ought to do it.

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ok sounds promising next stoopid question how do i do that?

I get that i can have Strava on without mapping a ride (guess thats what you mean) how do i turn on the gps? (excuse my ignorance)

ped | 10 years ago
0 likes

As I understand it, the GPS tracking bit is built into the app so won't eat up any data allowances or incur charges, but the uploading/downloading of routes/results would, so record things, and then wait till you've WiFi to sync if want to do it for free.

Post-hitting save edit: Yeah, what Mike said.  1

mikecoffee | 10 years ago
0 likes

you can use it to map stuff, then use free wifi to upload to strava and match up to maps etc.

But using strava with data turned on your phone will use up data which will cost money.

All you need is your gps turned on and strava running

Latest Comments