Strava abroad

by skitza   May 30, 2013  

Probably a stoopid question but can i use Strava or map my run on the i phone abroad for free?

13 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

you can use it to map stuff, then use free wifi to upload to strava and match up to maps etc.

But using strava with data turned on your phone will use up data which will cost money.

All you need is your gps turned on and strava running

posted by mikecoffee [29 posts]
30th May 2013 - 19:55

1 Like

As I understand it, the GPS tracking bit is built into the app so won't eat up any data allowances or incur charges, but the uploading/downloading of routes/results would, so record things, and then wait till you've WiFi to sync if want to do it for free.

Post-hitting save edit: Yeah, what Mike said. Smile

posted by ped [168 posts]
30th May 2013 - 20:01

1 Like

Ok sounds promising next stoopid question how do i do that?

I get that i can have Strava on without mapping a ride (guess thats what you mean) how do i turn on the gps? (excuse my ignorance)

posted by skitza [16 posts]
30th May 2013 - 20:56

1 Like

Ensure you don't have data roaming enabled on your phone. That ought to do it.

posted by bashthebox [647 posts]
30th May 2013 - 21:00

1 Like

Simple as that!? Really ? ta

30th May 2013 - 21:09

1 Like

what phone do you have ios or android?

30th May 2013 - 21:26

1 Like

ios i phone 4

30th May 2013 - 21:47

1 Like

skitza wrote:
ios i phone 4

Sorry android user can't help with any specific instructions

30th May 2013 - 22:27

1 Like

Lol cheers anyway Smile

30th May 2013 - 22:33

1 Like

For a recent trip to Mallorca I used MotionX GPS app (a couple quid I think). It works without the sim installed, so on my rides I'd remove the sim (but take it with you and the pin to get it in and out in case of emergencies!), tracked the ride and then uploaded the gpx files to the strava site when I got home. Zero data charges but tracked every mile.

I'm so lazy I'd rather order something off Wiggle than go to the shops for Haribo...

posted by Mr Jono [100 posts]
31st May 2013 - 11:16

1 Like

In IOS if you go settings - general - cellular and switch Cellular Data to off as soon as you get abroad, all GPS related functions will work will no chance of a massive bill.

All GPS based apps I have used all work mapping, then use wifi to upload and download maps.

Just remember to turn it back on when you get back to UK.

posted by andycoventry [120 posts]
31st May 2013 - 13:01

0 Likes

The iphone has data roaming switched off by default these days. Someone with the first gen iphone complained about an £8k phone bill or something after watching youtube vids on holiday.

So you shouldn't have to do anything.

Last night I would have considered trading a very loud baby for a really nice bike.

posted by notfastenough [3320 posts]
31st May 2013 - 15:17

1 Like

Thanks folks much appreciated

31st May 2013 - 20:51

1 Like