Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best race frameset under £2k?

My current race bike is developing a crack in the carbon frameset which will soon make it unrideable. The warranty has elapsed so I'm reviewing what framesets under £2k are recommended for Crits and Road racing.

I'm seeking something race specific with a decent length warranty and crash replacement discount. All advice welcomed.

My current shortlist includes:
* Wilier Cento 1 - 2012 framesets are being offered under £2k with a 5 year warranty

* Condor Leggero - I think I can get a discount on the £2,100 and it has a 3 year warranty and 30% crash replacement

* Parlee Z5 - I'm trying to see whether a UK dealer will reduce asking price from £2,750 because the lifetime warranty is appealing.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

/\

DylanChurchill | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was going to point out isn't it in Raleigh's contract to advertise VO2 Bikes !!!!!!  19

Old Cranky | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Ashley - I've just cut and pasted your suggestions onto my list. I'm going to be busy this weekend  3

Ashleyhoaken | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi. Old Cranky.

Bianchi Semper – 5 year warranty on frames
Blue RD1 105 – Limited Lifetime Warranty and Crash Replacement Policy
Cannondale super six 5 -
eddy merckx emx-1 or 3 - Limited Lifetime Warranty
Felt F5 - Limited, Lifetime Warranty
Felt Z5
Fuji SL 2.0 - limited lifetime warranty
Fuji SL 3.0
Giant TCR Advanced 2- Limited, Lifetime Warranty
Giant TCR Composite
Jamis Xenith comp - limited 5 year
Litespeed M1 - Limited, Lifetime Warranty
Scott CR 1 team - five years
Specialized Roubaix -
Specialized Tarmac
Trek Madone 4.7 – Lifetime frames
Most Warrants are only on frames some are also including forks

Old Cranky | 10 years ago
0 likes

Great suggestions and comments.

I have added a few framesets to review/testride including the Giant TCR Advanced SL ISP which I hadn't previously considered.

Keep going...any more?

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Raleigh started racing for the VO2 Dev Team, so that's understandable.

Ah, I missed that. Good luck Raleigh!

Raleigh replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:
notfastenough wrote:

Raleigh started racing for the VO2 Dev Team, so that's understandable.

Ah, I missed that. Good luck Raleigh!

Cheers, it's going pretty well actually  4

Always think about starting a blog, but have never really gotten round to it.

A lot of sponsors have pulled out this year; eg. Met (Helmets) and Holmes Couriers. (Don't buy any of that stuff.)

I've got an affiliation to the Wheel manufacturer PHIAN. (Buy that stuff).

Also I think Cervelo's are simply fantastic. (Also buy that stuff).

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Very true, and that TCR looks like a reasonably-priced option for my next bike.

It's like washing powder, new Daz whites are so much whiter that you'd think last year's Daz whiter-than-whites were dull grey. Alwight?!

Anyway, Raleigh started racing for the VO2 Dev Team, so that's understandable. However I do think he should have to change his username every time he changes his mind...

Whereas I am fickle, my head is turned by something else every few days.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

We should just have a page where our biases are listed, and you'll have the opinions before you even start!

Super Domestique - Spesh
Raleigh - VO2
etc...

Agree with 700c though, if I had a frame that was 'developing' a crack I wouldn't be riding it at all, I'd be worried about the effect of cobbles, potholes or just the stress of throwing the bike around when riding hard.

Super Domestique replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

We should just have a page where our biases are listed, and you'll have the opinions before you even start!

Super Domestique - Spesh
Raleigh - VO2
etc...

Agree with 700c though, if I had a frame that was 'developing' a crack I wouldn't be riding it at all, I'd be worried about the effect of cobbles, potholes or just the stress of throwing the bike around when riding hard.

Lol me biased! Never  3

Anyway I ride a Pina!

Simon E replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

But isn't that a given when requesting opinions on an internet forum?  39

At least I linked to a road.cc review of the TCR, and I've read good things about Trigon frames.

Otherwise you're at the mercy of the marketing bollocks, where each brand touts this year's frame as stiffer, more compliant, lighter, more aero, better, betterer and EVEN MORE betterer than the best from last year.

Does that mean bikes from 5 or 10 years ago were made of cheese? And who of us really stresses a bike's headset enough to warrant a bigger, heftier one? Not me, for sure!

Anyway, I thought Raleigh was a Cervelo fanboy. They is fickle, them yoofs...

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nowt wrong with aluminium:
http://road.cc/content/review/79975-giant-tcr-sl-2-2013

If you still want one made of carbon then how about Trigon?
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-trigon-...
http://www.trigon-cycles.co.uk/frames
They manufacture for some of the big name brands including Pinarello.

jamesfifield | 10 years ago
0 likes

S-Works Tarmac as stated above. Spesh's warranty is amazing, and you can get insurance for those non-warranty-related "incidents"

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Vo2 Pro:Carbon

Really, really pleased with mine. Buy British!

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

And if you've just cracked a carbon frame, would you want another made out of that material?

If you do, then as you say, warranty terms / customer service / reputation of the company is the most important factor in your choice..

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have to say I don't know anything about carbon frames but I wouldn't ride anything with any crack in it, rideable, or otherwise!  13

MattT53 | 10 years ago
0 likes

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/frames-c6/road-frames-c112/cannondale-c...

And you can afford to replace it nearly four times .....

colinth | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a Planet X n2a which is worth a look.stiff as anything and great handling for crits etc. £700 so won't be heart breakin if you wreck it

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
homercles | 10 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments