help and advice

by mikecoffee   May 28, 2013  

Hi guys and Girls

I've been riding for the last few months and have a GT GTR series 2 2010 and looking for advice about upgrading.

here are the specs

Specification and Features of GT GTR Series 2 Road Bike

Rear Derailleur - Shimano 105
Front Derailleur - Shimano 105 Compact
Shifters - Shimano 105 STI 10spd
Chainset - FSA Gossamer Mega EXO Crank 50/34 2 piece design
Bottom Bracket - FSA Out Board Sealed
Chain - Shimano HG-73 10 spd
Freewheel - Shimano 105 10 spd 11-25
Handlebars GT 6061 alloy, black anodized
Front Brake Tektro "Skeleton" Forged Dual pivot
Rear Brake Tektro "Skeleton" Forged Dual pivot
Brake Levers Shimano 105
Rims Mavic CXP-22., black anodized with silver sidewalls
Front Hub Shimano 105 precision sealed
Rear Hub Shimano 105 precision sealed 10 speed casette
Tyres Vittoria Rubino II 700 x 23 C
Saddle Selle San Marco Ponza

Been thinking of upgrading either the bike or the parts, so looking for advice from some more experienced bikers, should i upgrade the bike i have, and which parts should I upgrade? and what are the benefits?

I've not done anything with the bike, apart from a service and of course cleaning after every ride.

here my strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1079803 since i bought my garmin, i love climbing (not that good at it, but improving).

thanks in advance!

14 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

You could spend a fortune upgrading, but I think you've got a decent set up there.

Save your money they you might have spent on upgrades and get another bike....

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8825 posts]
28th May 2013 - 16:06

like this
Like (2)

Tyres.

Good service replacing cables.

Bar tape.

Your bike will feel like new Smile

posted by thebungle [115 posts]
28th May 2013 - 16:18

like this
Like (1)

thebungle wrote:
Tyres.

Good service replacing cables.

Bar tape.

Your bike will feel like new Smile

I second that. Whilst it wouldn't necessarily make your bike lighter, upgrading the brakes to something like Shimano Ultegra (allegedly better than last years Dura Ace) should improve descending and hopefully your average speed as a result. I had some tektro brakes once and the difference is significant.

arrieredupeleton

posted by arrieredupeleton [551 posts]
28th May 2013 - 16:26

like this
Like (0)

Usually the wheels are the best upgrade to improve your riding. However I would echo the above sentiments. Maybe have the bike serviced then start saving for a new bike next year or when this years models get reduced in the autumn.

posted by Psycling [49 posts]
28th May 2013 - 16:31

like this
Like (1)

hi Thanks for the advice, i've been looking at upgrading my brakes, i replaced the brake pads the other day, and they already feel better than stock pads, but will keep my eye out for some Ultegra brakes.

I've been looking at wheels, but quite expensive but i guess they will transfer onto other bikes.

Its booked in for a full service in a few weeks when i'm on holidays.

posted by mikecoffee [29 posts]
28th May 2013 - 17:12

like this
Like (1)

GF rides this exact bike. It's a good frame, arguably let down by the wheels. The Vittoria's are perfectly fine, but you would see improvements getting a light pair for good weather.

For info, she recently upgraded the wheels to shimano RS80 C24, and tyres to 25c Vittoria open corsa cx, now quicker uphill, also faster on flat, likely due to improved rolling resistance. Though she still doesn't drop me on the hills! (much).

So I would disagree about getting a whole new bike, as unless you spend a fortune you won't see great improvements over what can be achieved with a sensible wheel and tyre upgrade.

posted by 700c [556 posts]
28th May 2013 - 19:10

like this
Like (1)

Posts like this are interesting as its often a case of wanting to upgrade but for no stated reason. In what other area of life would you ask as question like that? eg "I'm thinking of upgrading my house - which room would you suggest and what would the benefits be?"

This absolutely isn't a criticism of the post (or poster) as I've asked similar questions before - its just an observation.

TheHatter's picture

posted by TheHatter [810 posts]
28th May 2013 - 19:38

like this
Like (1)

TheHatter wrote:
Posts like this are interesting as its often a case of wanting to upgrade but for no stated reason. In what other area of life would you ask as question like that? eg "I'm thinking of upgrading my house - which room would you suggest and what would the benefits be?"

This absolutely isn't a criticism of the post (or poster) as I've asked similar questions before - its just an observation.

Hi

The reason behind the upgrade of things was that my GF will let me spend some more money on the bike!

At the time of purchasing the bike, i only had £800ish to spend, and got the best bike i could, since having the bike i have really got the cycling bug.

Its that time after winter to replace the chain and full service etc, and thought well i might as well spend a few quid more on upgrades if it was worth it, or wait it out and buy a new bike come august.

If i'm not going to upgrade to a new bike, from advice so far i'm going to buy new brakes, as the tektro one that came on the bike are crap.

I'm also thinking about new wheels......

posted by mikecoffee [29 posts]
28th May 2013 - 19:52

like this
Like (1)

Hi 700c

thanks for the advice will have a look for some RS80's i know planet X have them for £339 at the moment.

posted by mikecoffee [29 posts]
28th May 2013 - 20:18

like this
Like (1)

Fair enough Mike. Totally agree that upgrading brakes makes sense though the pads are crucial as cheap ones are terrible. Other than that I think you'd have to spend big bucks to make any serious difference to your average speed or 'liveliness' of the ride. In my opinion 105 is the optimum value groupset - anything above that is getting into diminishing returns for you cash.

If you really want to spend I'd suggest looking at a workstand and tools if you don't already have them or if its about fitness then get a turbo or if its about feeling good then getting good clothing.

TheHatter's picture

posted by TheHatter [810 posts]
28th May 2013 - 20:26

like this
Like (1)

@MikeCoffee, that's exactly where we got them from a couple of months ago! Prompt delivery.

Assume you also bought the bike from JE James originally?! The £830 mega-deal available at the time was the most bike available for that kind of money.

Disagree with any assertion that this is upgrading for the sake of it - the wheels will make a difference with that frame, but don't forget tyres too..

posted by 700c [556 posts]
28th May 2013 - 20:29

like this
Like (1)

TheHatter wrote:
I think you'd have to spend big bucks to make any serious difference to your average speed or 'liveliness' of the ride.

I can't agree. (although it depends on definition of 'serious difference'). Having had experience of this exact bike both pre and post upgrade, spending a few hundred pounds on wheels and tyres makes a difference to both ease of climbing and flat rolling speed.

Agreed about the groupset though- 105 to ultegra would be a fairly pointless exercise given the cost and hassle of the work required.

posted by 700c [556 posts]
28th May 2013 - 20:47

like this
Like (1)

TheHatter wrote:
Fair enough Mike. Totally agree that upgrading brakes makes sense though the pads are crucial as cheap ones are terrible. Other than that I think you'd have to spend big bucks to make any serious difference to your average speed or 'liveliness' of the ride. In my opinion 105 is the optimum value groupset - anything above that is getting into diminishing returns for you cash.

If you really want to spend I'd suggest looking at a workstand and tools if you don't already have them or if its about fitness then get a turbo or if its about feeling good then getting good clothing.

Hi

I've have a turbo but at present its an expensive bike holder, or an excuse to have the bike in the house!

I've got a basic tool set, and keep adding to the set each payday, god they are expensive!

I've been riding all winter/spring and and swear by my rapha hardshell (maybe should have bought something cheaper and invested the difference in some wheels)

but the general feedback will be upgrading brakes and wheels, now all i have to do is find some good deals!

posted by mikecoffee [29 posts]
28th May 2013 - 21:07

like this
Like (1)

700c wrote:
@MikeCoffee, that's exactly where we got them from a couple of months ago! Prompt delivery.

Assume you also bought the bike from JE James originally?! The £830 mega-deal available at the time was the most bike available for that kind of money.

Disagree with any assertion that this is upgrading for the sake of it - the wheels will make a difference with that frame, but don't forget tyres too..

Yeah got it from JE James, got it on bike to work as well so saved extra on it! which was a bonus.

I am definitely getting some wheels come payday! just double checking all cycle stores prices to get best deal!

posted by mikecoffee [29 posts]
28th May 2013 - 21:15

like this
Like (0)