Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Where are the younger riders

Yesterday 25-5-13,I road my cycling clubs,open 10 mile Time Trial,in Nottinghamshire,and where were the younger riders?I know the course used is hard and not a drag strip,but out of 55 riders from as far away as Bournemouth,43 of them were Vets,me included at 66 years old,the youngest rider was 31yrs old from the R.A.F CC,and he had made a good journey to get to Notts.Makes me wonder what is happening to the Sport,I suspect some of them,buy the gear get a carbon machine and toy with cycling,and possibly post on sites like this talking a great ride,and claiming to be mechanic of the year!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

Charlie96 | 10 years ago
0 likes

There's no shortage of youths and juniors where I am! You can usually find plenty of us at the circuit of a Wednesday evening doing some proper racing... Y'know like in a bunch.  3

Simon E replied to Charlie96 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Charlie96 wrote:

There's no shortage of youths and juniors where I am! You can usually find plenty of us at the circuit of a Wednesday evening doing some idle drafting... Y'know like in a bunch.  3

FTFY

There's no hiding behind a stronger rider when you're racing against the clock, a true test of both mind and body.

But cycling's not only about competition. All disciplines and means of riding are enjoyable, you don't have to pin a number on to be part of a great scene.

Charlie96 replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

FTFY  3

There's no hiding behind a stronger rider when you're racing against the clock, a true test of both mind and body.

But cycling's not only about competition. All disciplines and means of riding are enjoyable, you don't have to pin a number on to be part of a great scene.

It's true, TT's do have an odd appeal, even though they're just a set distance of hell. I'll always prefer bunch racing, though. But you're right, if you ride and you enjoy what you do, no one can knock it!

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wow, just wow.

I honestly can't see why more people aren't out riding with foxyloxy, regaling the young uns with his stories from down the coal face and how steel bikes used to really taste like steel bikes, doing a time trial in black and white.

"You call that a bike? We used to call them velocipedes back when we were a lad..."

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sportives are pricey! Esp when you travel - I'm doing etape cymru so entry+hotel+petrol=not a very cheap cycle ride. Which is why I think its great when clubs do there own (Peterborough for ex. sure there's others) Alongside the club runs. Only just started doing some TT's there fun but the interest certainly isn't placed there. We have some of the worlds best road riders, thats who the young people (like me) are inspired by. I'm not saying you can't handle work, family and training but I'm saying it isn't easy, cycling for the majority isn't going to be priority number one. Me and my friend ride 2-300 miles a week, but during uni we only manage about 50-100 because were in 9-8 and then get home and work more. Its easier at summer, I usually wake up at 6 and am out for 45mins before uni. At the end of the day were more invested in our chosen career paths than dreaming of being a pro cyclist. It's the same as the 10 year old boy that wants to grow up and play for Man U - he realises that its unlikely and he focuses his efforts on other things. My sister is knee deep in revision at the min so she doesn't have time to do her running that she'd usually be doing but come summer hols she'll be out running and cycling. And anyway like I said seen plenty of young people out, actually I was really surprised about how many young people were out with there parents over Easter. Far more than last year.

foxyloxy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi Simon E,we were debating the road bike issue after our tuesday eve 10,this week.Obviously I rode all TT,s on a road bike,and many stiil do,I find it takes me back to the days,when a 57 for 25 miles was tough,I know because I did one,on a steel road bike.Nothing finer than to put decent wheels in the road bike and ride a 10.Nobody stops anyone riding a RB in our TT,s.10,s cost £3 including the levy,and we usually get 30+ riders.To answer the chap who was on about working,ok I,m retired,but was a Coalface Chargeman down the pit on 3 shifts,but still trained,raced and brought up a family,so I think committment comes in there somewhere.As I stated in another post it all goes round,Sportives are nothing new,they are the modern name for Reliability Trial,and sportives are not cheap to ride, so the cost of things argument goes out the window.Happy cycling,I,m off out.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

TTing isn't an attractive sport for most 'young' people under 31, though those that take part understand its enduring appeal.

I'd like to see more riders in time trials on standard road bikes instead of feeling the need to spend £2k on a bike plus fancy wheels and all the other gubbins to ride 10 miles once a week in the summer.

Lots of kids and young(er) folk are into circuit racing, cyclo-cross, du/tri, sportives etc etc as BC's significant growth in membership of late may indicate. The number of rides in club TTs has been on the rise in recent times, prompting the levy increase for club events. People like the casual nature of just turning up of an evening and I can't say I blame them. Having said that, entering open events is great too.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I is a yout'

I'm sorry but that'a just prime gas.

Regularly get turned away from National Junior start lists of over a hundred.

What we normally do is just wait at the top of hills.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Who says I don't know road craft, I could easily ride you off my wheel, on my carbon mean machine that I've just been tinkerin' with - cus I'm known as the king when it comes to mechanics. Now to put on m'rapha gear and go train.

chrismday | 10 years ago
0 likes

They're at the Bowl in Milton Keynes.  1

Team MK's Wednesday evening and Saturday afternoon youth training/racing regularly has 50 or more between the ages of 6 and 16.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

They DO and WILL ride with the older generation, that's how they test their legs and get into it. But the days of short 10 mile TT's are coming to an end with the younger guys.

Because they all want to be the next Wiggo or Cav, they go testing their legs on longer Sportives and rides.

Its not until you actually start racing and trying to get points for licenses that many turn to TT's for some prep.

Being as your in Nottinghamshire, I'd guess there are Sportives on most weekends within a reasonable distance, that's where everyone seems to head now.

foxyloxy | 10 years ago
0 likes

When are you going to wise up?Young members are the future,and they are welcome in any club.Dont be fooled into thinking that younguns dont want to ride with us.On the subject of Sportives,we ride them too,they are the modern name for reliability trials,so if young uns dont want to ride with us oldies,how are you going to learn,roadcraft?here endeth the lesson!!

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, and other people have jobs - when it comes to crunch time things such as cycling and what not are the first things to go. Prices are relevant, but perhaps people don't have the money these days, most young people are going to have to either rely on mum and dad or save - if your parents are from a poor background your saving, it took me a long time to save up for my wheels. To be honest you answer your own question -17 y.o cyclist don't wanna go out riding with 60+ year olds they want to be out with people there own age, maybe clubs should be worrying how to attract younger riders rather than saying "back in our day". Maybe that's wrong but it seems to be your perspective.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Exam time and young riders are not into "old skool" TT 10's are the weekend.

They are off riding centuries  3

foxyloxy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Stirred you lot up a bit,but you seem to think that us oldies,did not have Tech College,plenty of exams,but still found time to train and race,dont forget prices are relevant to the time,and my first Holdsworth,cost me plenty,when I first started.Hopefully the youngsters riding today will have,the years of cycling,that we oldies have had,and we are not so slow!!

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes

They're all at the North West Youth Tour. It's a Bank Holiday weekend - more competitive events than you can shake several sticks at.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

As has been said before, cycling isn't cheap - a football, rugby ball or what ever cost as little a £10 (or even less) where as a good road bike plus relevant gear is going to set you back £400-600 so that may be part of the answer.
Also, people are in school - I'm at uni, just finishing and having time to get out. My sister is still in school and doing exams, someone like her wouldn't be able to get out that much! Just wait till summer roads will be swarming, seen quite a few riders out this weekend inc some people my age. Saw some 3 riders yesterday my age and we had a chat for a bit.

In summary, your wrong.

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

The younger riders are at competitive tt's,not at ones with slower,older riders

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

The younger riders are at the crit.

Jaltham | 10 years ago
0 likes

Exam season has put a full stop to my riding until it is over. Early July I'm sure will see a spike in "younger" riders as we all finish stressing and start training again!

pirnie | 10 years ago
0 likes

It is exam time for a lot of younger riders, both at school and uni so that might explain lower numbers right now

Some Fella | 10 years ago
0 likes

Plenty of young riders in and around Manchester as far as i can see.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

The weird inverted snobbery in your post is, frankly, bizarre.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I strongly disagree.

The rise of great British road cyclists, the increasing numbers of sportives, and the general high uptake of people going out for weekend rides has probably shifted the focus from the traditional British preoccupation with time trials.

I'm off out in a minute and I can guarantee the roads will be swarming.

THere are fewer real youngsters though - cycling's a relatively expensive hobby, and its lack of competition attracts people who are a little older, I suppose. The kids like their ball sports, in the main.

Latest Comments