Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Torque Wrench ? Which one for Home use?

Looking to buy a torque wrench for home use; as I do most of my own maintenance on the bikes.

I'm looking for an inexpensive torque wrench.

Can anyone give me some recommendations and maybe a link to a decent inexpensive torque wrench.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

jimc101 | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you want a wrench for most parts, a 1/4" drive with a range of 3-15Nm will cover most jobs, but these aren't cheap, The only time you really need a higher torque range is for cassette lockrings, which need a 40Nm (Shimano) or 50Nm (Campagnolo) setting.

Good all in one alternates are becoming available, like the Ritchey Torqkey described above, and the Topeak Combo Torque set, which cost £14.99

DavidG | 10 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for Norbar. Has the right range for most bike jobs, feels really nice to use and its made in England.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Norbar-TruTorque-certificate-calibration-England/dp/B002ASZHAS

Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your replies Gentlemen.

Could you post some links to your recommendations? They all sound very suitable for bicycle mechanics.

andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

Depends entirely on what you want it for, but for bars/stems you really can't go wrong with the Ritchey Torqkey for around a tenner.

Al'76 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Rather pleased with my Norbar; not cheap but torque products are the only thing that company makes....and it comes with a calibration certificate.

Relative to the cost of my frame it's a bargain!

crash144019 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Class and Olsen sell a good range of tools. Decent quality at a reasonable price. That's where I picked mine up. Also make sure you get sockets to fit!

crash144019 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Class and Olsen sell a good range of tools. Decent quality at a reasonable price. That's where I picked mine up. Also make sure you get sockets to fit!

jimmo62 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Got mine from Screwfix, much cheaper than a "cycling specific" one from a bike shop but does exactly the same job. Just make sure it goes down to low settings (5Nm or so)

Latest Comments