Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Last Day Transfers and Transfer Strategy Discussion Thread

Ok, boys, today's the last stage of the 1st grand tour, the Giro.

Obviously Standard Players like myself can't play much of a strategy game by banking transfers, so, we can only bring in 4 sprinters without incurring any penalties... And, of course, at this stage, well, the playing's been done...

What's your verdict? Is banking transfers worth it? Did you find yourself struggling to bank?... Is it a matter of just playing counter-strategy? Do you wish you had used your transfers differently?... And, of course, how may transfers were you able to bank for today?  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

the rules are what they are, enrique. they won't be changing. if you want to bank unlimited transfers, then the premium game allows you to do that. there won't be any third option. we're not really getting anywhere here, because there's not really anything to discuss. save it for the big suggestions thread for next year sometime after the vuelta, eh?

enrique replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

the rules are what they are, enrique. they won't be changing...

I know...  3

Dave Atkinson wrote:

...save it for the big suggestions thread for next year sometime after the vuelta, eh?

Of course :)...

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

I'm just asking for a chance to "play as Premium", that is, with non-expiring transfers... and not (!) take any of the prizes! Like I said above:

God this is boring, premium isn't all about winning prizes, if you want to play premium, pay like everyone else has perhaps.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Enrique.....you are NOT going to get anything changed this season and the four of us running the game are fairly settled with the rules as we have them.

So things may change, but not alot, the more you piss people off, just read the comments above. The more people will be against changes.

I think you should STOP making new threads and covering old ground. PLEASE, QUIT, multi quoting, that's a personal bug of mine.

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Enrique...the four of us running the game are fairly settled with the rules as we have them...

It's not really a change in the rules that I'm asking for, really... It's just an option to play "as Premium" as a Standard Player...

Remember when dr first opened up the discussion in March 2012 about having a paid game? The "Extra races, extra features thread"?:

drheaton wrote:

... My suggestion... would be some kind of premium membership that included extra... events...

If I remember correctly then, when the Premium game was introduced, the bikes were not a a prize Standard player could win...

I'm just asking for a chance to "play as Premium", that is, with non-expiring transfers... and not (!) take any of the prizes!  1 Like I said above:

enrique wrote:

... ... I think offering Standard Players the choice of whether to:

a) play the game for the prizes with expiring transfers or

b) play the game just for fun with non-expiring tansfers is a good one!  1

Obviously, I prefer Option b!  1 It's not a change in game rules I'm seeking...  2

I'll gladly forfeit a chance at the prizes, which surely I wouldn't win anyway, I'm just wondering if other Standrad Players feel the same way!  1

Gkam84 replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

It's not really a change in the rules that I'm asking for, really... It's just an option to play "as Premium" as a Standard Player...

BOOM....

That is why everyone is sick of your threads. You can't simply just change the game like that.

It would take a lot of background work and would require having three different sets of players. Premium, Free Premium and Free (prize winning)

That is NOT going to happen. If you want to play as a premium player...even if you don't want to win the prizes...you pays your money.

If you don't pays your money, you can still play, whether you are playing for the prizes or not is irrelevant.

I CAN'T win certain prizes, because I run some of the races. Lets just say, I won the Giro. I've had nothing to do with running it or any of the background work on it.

BUT, I wouldn't go taking the prizes for it. Yes, a stage prize of a pump. I'd have one. But it wouldn't be right for me to take any of the big prizes.

So what I'm trying to say is, I DON'T play for prizes....Nor to most players. They play for the challenge, enjoyment, love of cycling, to enhance their viewing of cycling and a multitude of reasons.

I can tell you now, take away the ALL the prizes. MANY of us would still be playing the game, just for bragging rights until the next stage. If I could create a poll (Maybe Dave can) and get a simple YES/NO....would you still play without prizes....I think it would be a 80/20 split  3

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

...You can't simply just change the game like that... It would take a lot of background work and would require having three different sets of players. Premium, Free Premium and Free (prize winning)...

Well, crap... I thought it'd be easy!  7 ... Real (!) easy!  1 Just a couple of lines of code and BOOM!  1 It's done! Otherwise I wouldn't be harping on it so much... Ok, then just take into consideration for the future, please... It'd be nice!... I won't harp on this anymore  1  39  3 Maybe!  4

Now this is what is crazy, in a twisted way, I've thought so much about this that I feel one could argue, in fact, that, because (!) winning the game Standard-Style is harder (!), arguably (!), then maybe Standard Players deserve not only their own (!) prize but a better (!) prize!  1 Nuff said!  1

Thanks!

chiv30 replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

...You can't simply just change the game like that... It would take a lot of background work and would require having three different sets of players. Premium, Free Premium and Free (prize winning)...

Well, crap... I thought it'd be easy!  7 ... Real (!) easy!  1 Just a couple of lines of code and BOOM!  1 It's done! Otherwise I wouldn't be harping on it so much... Ok, then just take into consideration for the future, please... It'd be nice!... I won't harp on this anymore  1  39  3 Maybe!  4

Now this is what is crazy, in a twisted way, I've thought so much about this that I feel one could argue, in fact, that, because (!) winning the game Standard-Style is harder (!), arguably (!), then maybe Standard Players deserve not only their own (!) prize but a better (!) prize!  1 Nuff said!  1

Thanks!

Thought you just said you don't play for prizes?
DON'T BE SO TIGHT AND SHUT UP!

enrique replied to chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

Thought you just said you don't play for prizes?... DON'T BE SO TIGHT AND SHUT UP!

37 Let me clarify something which you may not care about...  4 The fact that I think it would be nice to have a separate prize for the Best Standard Player, doesn't mean per se I would play for it, it's just a little recognition to the Best Standard Player... just like there's a prize for the 3 Italians game... Chill out! Grab a beer! Today's a holiday in the USA! Have a beer! Enjoy life!  1 Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SPK58-8LXk

Sing along with me!  1

enrique wrote:

... It's just a game and just a forum  1 Life is good! :)... I'm not here to battle it out with you  3

Life is good! Enjoy it!  1

0 likes
enrique wrote:
chiv30 wrote:

Thought you just said you don't play for prizes?... DON'T BE SO TIGHT AND SHUT UP!

37 Let me clarify something which you may not care about...  4 The fact that I think it would be nice to have a separate prize for the Best Standard Player, doesn't mean per se I would play for it, it's just a little recognition to the Best Standard Player... just like there's a prize for the 3 Italians game... Chill out! Grab a beer! Today's a holiday in the USA! Have a beer! Enjoy life!  1 Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SPK58-8LXk

Sing along with me!  1

enrique wrote:

... It's just a game and just a forum  1 Life is good! :)... I'm not here to battle it out with you  3

I'd enjoy it so much more if you didn't whine so much!

0 likes
enrique wrote:
chiv30 wrote:

Sing along with me!  1

enrique wrote:

I'd enjoy it so much more if you didn't whine so much!

0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

... I'd enjoy it so much more if you didn't whine so much!

Chiv, you sweet, sensitive soul... I would do it for you, if it means that much to you, but you have to ask me nicely!  1  3  4

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyMggFe9WRQ

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh and just to add , 50% of the top 40 players are standard players ,surely if they can compete for the top spot then so could you if you spent as much time thinking strategy as you do whining!

0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

... surely if they can compete for the top spot then so could you if you spent as much time thinking strategy as you do whining!

... the truth hurts... still, I think offering Standard Players the choice of whether to a) play the game for the prizes with expiring transfers or b) play the game just for fun with non-expiring tansfers is a good one!  1

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Enrique, seriously listen to the good Dr , you are whining again and it's grow old .
Pay up or shut up

I'll make a point here , all of your prior postings have stated you can't afford it which some people could accept , however this post you have openly admitted you are unlikely to ever pay for it so in my eyes from now on , any suggestion or moan you may have becomes null and void and will be replied to with the following:

DON'T BE SO TIGHT AND SHUT UP!

JAndrewHill | 10 years ago
0 likes

I did not bank any transfers over the four std players can use. Profiles change So Much Evey Other race I find you need To Use xfer To Have a Chance Of The Win.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's amazing how much you're trying to labour this point enrique, what is this now, the third or fourth thread on this topic? I thought the issue had been cleared up after you saw that half of the top 25 are standard players, I thought it had been cleared up weeks ago when we went through it then, I thought you might have realised by now that you're complaining about something which nobody else has a problem with and is a non-issue.

How many transfers you managed to bank for today is largely irrelevant because I can't see many people making more than four or five. Most of the GC guys are still worth 10-15 points so are better picks than the mediocre sprinters so really you're only trying to bring in the top four which at this point, after losing so many sprinters, are Cav, Nizzolo, Viviani and maybe Mezgec to make it work on budget.

So, it has been proven that banking transfers doesn't weight the game heavily in favour of premium users and doesn't put standard players at a disadvantage. Can we drop this?

And a suggestion, if you got a paper-round or something and put the amount of time into it that you put into the forum you'd be able to afford the premium membership in no time  4

enrique replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

...if you got a paper-round... and put the amount of time into it that you put into the forum you'd be able to afford the premium membership in no time  4

Fascinating...  39

drheaton wrote:

...How many transfers you managed to bank for today is largely irrelevant because I can't see many people making more than four or five...

Granted. Probably right.  1 I realized this, though,... which I wouldn't put above 'obvious' to most people...

There are two things at stake in this game, at least for me... 1-winning the game and 2-winning the grand prize...

I, well, don't really care for the grand prize really...

So (!), I'd be happy  1 to play just for fun... or excitement! and all the heart palpitations I feel when I do well or the panic attacks when I fail miserably :)...

But... I wish it were on a level playing field, for free, granted, with the rest of you... The key word here is, for free, whether I deserve it or not...

I just wish I could play for the Top Spot, not for the bike, without paying for it, just for free...

Granted, the game organizers have the right to decide who plays for what and how... It's their game, so, in essence, though it may not matter, I want to play the same game as you are for free...

Will I? Probably not, but, it's not about the transfers per se, but about playing the same game... It's just that the transfers are the only thing different about the game experience right now... I can do without all the extra races and the extra rider information, of course, but, were it up to me, which it obviously isnt...

I would offer a free version of the game where one could play with unlimited banking of transfers, even if I never got a single prize out of it...

In fact, one could argue that because (!) winning the game Standard-Style is harder maybe Standard Players deserve not only their own (!) prize but a better! prize  1

Thanks!  1

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Banking transfers CAN be worth it....BUT I used them on the wrong guys.

Its good if the couple of stages before a rest day are similar and you have a decent team. It means you can store transfers to change the whole team.

I only saved 5 for tomorrow. But I was well out of the running after the first couple of stages  19

Latest Comments