Which multitool?

by indyjukebox   May 25, 2013  

Hi, I am new to the site and could use some advice. I had a rather simple multitool which I lost a few weeks ago and was looking to replace it. I seemed to have narrowed my choices down to the Topeak Alien 2 or the Tern tool.

The Tern has a more useable pedal spanner. But I cannot see it having a slot I can use to break the excess pin off after a chain repair.

The Alien 2 has a pedal spanner, but is much smaller in terms of effective leverage. but has niceties like a slot to break the excess chain pin with and also a chain hook.

Any real life experience with either of the above? Or any other suggestions?

7 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Topeak Hexus II.

The Alien has too many tools (spanners) that you'd probably never use.

I don't follow trends. Trends follow me.

posted by BBB [187 posts]
26th May 2013 - 6:11

5 Likes

How do you guys break off the new pin after a chain change with the Hexus II?

posted by indyjukebox [50 posts]
26th May 2013 - 14:55

3 Likes

Got an Alien II; loads of stuff that you will never use + unnecessary weight to carry.

My strongest recommendation would be to try and find one where the actual tools are NOT made of chrome vanadium; trying to keep it rust free gets more than a little boring Yawn

Try and work out what you will actually need - I think most people clean their chain often enough to know if it's about to let go - and, if possible, something light that will not rust!

posted by Al'76 [126 posts]
26th May 2013 - 16:38

6 Likes

posted by Al'76 [126 posts]
26th May 2013 - 16:41

2 Likes

this is a decent one for the price. think you need a chain splitter just in case.
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-tune-up-multi-15-mul...

posted by mpt68 [101 posts]
26th May 2013 - 19:41

5 Likes

Surely the purpose of a multitool is to cover mid-ride fixes. Work out what tools you are are likely to need while out on a ride. IMHO a pedal spanner should not one of them. In fact, if you follow the old adage you shouldn't need any tools at all.

My 'bare bones' kit is 3 allen keys or Lezyne SV5 plus tube and levers. I also carry a Park CT-5 chain tool and quicklink as my wife doesn't drive.

Another take on the subject:
http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.fi/2013/05/custom-toolkit.html

Simon E's picture

posted by Simon E [2008 posts]
26th May 2013 - 21:29

2 Likes

My foldable bike has a 15mm nut holding the rear hub in place. This needs to be removed to change a flat tyre. Hence my requirement to have a 15mm/pedal spanner in the multitool. It was more for this purpose, than for mid-ride pedal swaps. Big Grin

posted by indyjukebox [50 posts]
27th May 2013 - 2:10

3 Likes