Good cheap gps bike computer

by Doaky   May 25, 2013  

Anyone using one of the cheaper GPS bike computers such as the bryton rider 20 or the cateye stealth 10? Just wondered which was better or should I splash out on a garmin? Every month I run out of data while using strava app on my phone!!!

7 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I have a Garmin 200 which U can pick up for about £85-90.its a brilliant device and is everything

posted by Shanefutcher [110 posts]
25th May 2013 - 13:13

like this
Like (0)

Cheers for that Smile

The difference between me and lance Armstrong is that I still have a chance of winning the Tour de France Smile

Doaky's picture

posted by Doaky [57 posts]
25th May 2013 - 13:44

like this
Like (0)

Bryton 20, mixed reviews around but can pick it up under £70 on ebay

posted by Cycle_Jim [281 posts]
25th May 2013 - 18:46

like this
Like (0)

If you turn off data before you ride you should be able to still use GPS. This also works abroad and you'll receive no more data charges.
Don't use airplane mode though as this switches off all data info.

Not sure if this works on all phones but should be.

OsPeregringo's picture

posted by OsPeregringo [42 posts]
25th May 2013 - 18:55

like this
Like (0)

I like my edge 200.

posted by Super Domestique [1598 posts]
25th May 2013 - 19:32

like this
Like (0)

I bought a Garmin 800 with Heart Rate, Cadence and Maps for £240 new off ebay. I've been using a iPhone 3GS for a year or so with strava and was umming and arring for ages as its a lot of dosh. However, the garmin is ace and I've used it solidly for the last two weeks. I'm actually using the maps all the time and its made me stray further than normal as I'm confident I won't get lost or the battery packs up - (I'm not strong enough to get lost 50 miles from home!)

posted by dunnoh [172 posts]
25th May 2013 - 21:24

like this
Like (2)

GPS is a passive tech - recieving but not transmitting - so no problems using it in airplane mode.

So, airplane mode works fine with gps on my phone (motorola razr) - with my previous phone, (motorola cliq), turning the mode on would turn gps off, but you could turn it back on individually!

Oh, and get OSMand+, then you can have offline mapping, too!

PJ McNally's picture

posted by PJ McNally [586 posts]
26th May 2013 - 7:55

like this
Like (1)