Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Good cheap gps bike computer

Anyone using one of the cheaper GPS bike computers such as the bryton rider 20 or the cateye stealth 10? Just wondered which was better or should I splash out on a garmin? Every month I run out of data while using strava app on my phone!!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

PJ McNally | 10 years ago
0 likes

GPS is a passive tech - recieving but not transmitting - so no problems using it in airplane mode.

So, airplane mode works fine with gps on my phone (motorola razr) - with my previous phone, (motorola cliq), turning the mode on would turn gps off, but you could turn it back on individually!

Oh, and get OSMand+, then you can have offline mapping, too!

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I bought a Garmin 800 with Heart Rate, Cadence and Maps for £240 new off ebay. I've been using a iPhone 3GS for a year or so with strava and was umming and arring for ages as its a lot of dosh. However, the garmin is ace and I've used it solidly for the last two weeks. I'm actually using the maps all the time and its made me stray further than normal as I'm confident I won't get lost or the battery packs up - (I'm not strong enough to get lost 50 miles from home!)

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

I like my edge 200.

I_like_bikes | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you turn off data before you ride you should be able to still use GPS. This also works abroad and you'll receive no more data charges.
Don't use airplane mode though as this switches off all data info.

Not sure if this works on all phones but should be.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Bryton 20, mixed reviews around but can pick it up under £70 on ebay

Doaky | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for that  1

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a Garmin 200 which U can pick up for about £85-90.its a brilliant device and is everything

Latest Comments