Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro d'Italia - Tappa 19

Pity there's now no Stelvio - was looking forward to that. Still, a good showdown on the cards between Majka and Betancur.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

55 comments

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Rules are rules folks and its pointless getting worked up over it.

Dave has confirmed that after the forum discussion on the rules for this year the rule regarding losing points has changed. End of story really.

Jonas Lorenzen | 10 years ago
0 likes

GIR stage 19 (Dream Team) -10

Awesome..  20

Wig_Billy | 10 years ago
0 likes

How is it fairness? Nobody playing this game knows if a rider is going to test positive.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

It is NOT pointless, its in the fairness of the game. It happened last season and should happen again.

He needs ALL his points taken away. Whether you picked him in good faith or not. He was entered by his team into the Giro in good faith...look how that turned out.

IF a rider in any of my remaining races gets the boot for doping....expect him to lose ALL of his points for the tour

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

... IF a rider in any of my remaining races gets the boot for doping....expect him to lose ALL of his points for the tour

Hell, then let's make it retroactive, too! If he's positive for any (!) banned substance, let's take all (!) their points from the whole year's (!) game!  3

You're spilling over the morality of doping into the game. Let the points stand... It's just a game...

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd like to know where it was agreed or decided for it to be changed this year.....

I can't find it. I know it was agreed for people DQ'd from a stage, but not chucked off a race for doping reasons.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I thought it was still the same for doping this year, but for DQ's like Gavazzi was different  39

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Personally I preferred last year's rules re doping DQs but the rules were changed and its pretty clear in the rules how it works so I have no complaints other than that Wig_Billy gets to keep all Di Luca's ill gotten points in his purist team  2

letsgoup replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Personally I preferred last year's rules re doping DQs but the rules were changed and its pretty clear in the rules how it works so I have no complaints other than that Wig_Billy gets to keep all Di Luca's ill gotten points in his purist team  2

I second that as I am his nearest challenger in the forums purist league. But that said. The rules are the rules and I think Dave has clarified it very well. I was going to get my 10,000 badge and hopefully another high roller badge and my yet to get tour top 10 finish badge (possibly) if this stage wasn't cancelled. My purist team was looking strong and I didn't have DiLuca.

That's sport though. Got to take the ups with the downs. Unless your riding the Giro that is- sorry couldn't resist.  4  4  4

drheaton replied to letsgoup | 10 years ago
0 likes
letsgoup wrote:
drheaton wrote:

I second that as I am his nearest challenger in the forums purist league. But that said. The rules are the rules and I think Dave has clarified it very well. I was going to get my 10,000 badge and hopefully another high roller badge and my yet to get tour top 10 finish badge (possibly) if this stage wasn't cancelled. My purist team was looking strong and I didn't have DiLuca.

That's sport though. Got to take the ups with the downs. Unless your riding the Giro that is- sorry couldn't resist.  4  4  4

I just wanted to point out, the basis for me preferring to have Di Luca's points removed isn't that it helps my teams, I had Di Luca in my standard team for most of the race so it'd penalise me too.

No, the basis is that his results in this race have been dishonest and based on cheating and being awarded fantasy points for those performances is, to me at least, benefiting from doping. I agree that its harsh and that players picked Di Luca in good faith but so did his team and they won't get the benefit of his performance in this race so why should we?

I know the rules and I absolutely don't think they should be changed this year so my argument is kind of pointless, but I'd support going back to the rules used last year, removal of all points for the entire race, when dopers are caught.

noddy69 replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

The points should not be removed . Everyone picked the person in good faith. If a rider gets caught after a race you already won and got the prize you keep the prize.
The people who lose out are those with him in the purist team, much like if a rider crashes out. A person in a fantasy league should not be penalised for something out of their control. To punish someone like that is pointless and as much as I hate dopers its not exactly proving anything.
In fact its kinda like putting in a provision where you have to pick your team on who is least likely to get caught.
Punish the rider harshly, and look at the team closely but dont over react and get silly about it  3

STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Personally think that when a stage is abandoned then everybodys transfers for the stage should be nullified...its ok saying that people have the chance to wait and make late transfers, but thats not fair...people live in different time zones and have work committments etc and so its creating an uneven playing field...it does not affect me, but I would hate to see someone lose a Bianchi because of a penalty transfer....

Just my opinion...  22

dave atkinson replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

Personally think that when a stage is abandoned then everybodys transfers for the stage should be nullified...its ok saying that people have the chance to wait and make late transfers, but thats not fair...people live in different time zones and have work committments etc and so its creating an uneven playing field...it does not affect me, but I would hate to see someone lose a Bianchi because of a penalty transfer....

Just my opinion...  22

we might look at it for next year, but there's some issues that make it difficult to implement.

the playing field is always uneven, for the reasons you describe and many more. some people have more time to throw at this than others. that will always be an advantage, no matter what the rules are

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I thought the rule about being caught as a doper and being pulled from a race means that the rider loses all points for that race.....  39

dave atkinson replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I thought the rule about being caught as a doper and being pulled from a race means that the rider loses all points for that race.....  39

it did last year, and it doesn't this year.

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yay - A stage win! (Joint winner with zero). Where's my badge?!

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

Di Luca's positive test was from an out-of-competition test, not a stage-finish test, and the UCI press release confirming his ban is dated today. so i'm calling it as today's stage, not yesterday's

archieboy | 10 years ago
0 likes

nice little time trial in Belgium today though
Der Panzerwagen v Spartacus
Better than nothing Isuppose

0 likes

obviously if you had di luca in your 'three italians' team, though, you're screwed.

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

So the only changes today will be those that incurred penalties...... I hope the guys around me did  4

letsgoup | 10 years ago
0 likes

I can't complain. The rules are there in black and white. So we new where we all stood before making or not making transfers.

Just on a technical point though. Exactly at what point was DiLuca disqualified? Was it for yesterdays stage or for todays (non) stage. Don't the rules state he should loose his points for stage 18 if thats when he was disqualified?

Just to clarify I'm not bothered what happens one way or the other. Loose his points or not. Just seeking the answer to put this to bed as lets face it, riders are going to get caught doping again SADLY  37  37

backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Dave, agree about picking a player in good faith etc we shouldnt be penalised for their actions. We pick on form riders and presume they are clean etc.

Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

good decision Dave

#Ispeakwitoutbiashavinghaddilucainmyteamformoststages

0 likes

here's how it is, folks:

1) the stage was cancelled. So everyone gets zero.

2) if you made transfers, they stand

3) if you incurred penalty points, they also stand.

4) Di Luca's points stand

why these rules?

well, no points because there's no racing. and everyone made, or didn't make, transfers based on the same information. some chose to wait, that was their choice. I didn't choose to wait, sadly  2

penalty points is more tricky. the issue here is that if the rule is 'no penalty points for a cancelled stage' then that's basically free reign to make as many transfers as you like the next time a stage gets called off. Which might be as early as tomorrow  39

Di Luca's points stand because people picked him in good faith. we changed this rule from last year based on player feedback on the big feedback thread.

stevemarks replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

here's how it is, folks:

why these rules?

well, no points because there's no racing. and everyone made, or didn't make, transfers based on the same information. some chose to wait, that was their choice. I didn't choose to wait, sadly  2

penalty points is more tricky. the issue here is that if the rule is 'no penalty points for a cancelled stage' then that's basically free reign to make as many transfers as you like the next time a stage gets called off. Which might be as early as tomorrow  39

Di Luca's points stand because people picked him in good faith. we changed this rule from last year based on player feedback on the big feedback thread.

Thank you for clarifying Dave, and I think that those are the right and consistent things to do.

By the way, I just want to say this is a brilliant game that just seems to get more and more enjoyable. A very big Thank you!

cherrypicked replied to stevemarks | 10 years ago
0 likes
stevemarks wrote:
Dave Atkinson wrote:

here's how it is, folks:

why these rules?

Thank you for clarifying Dave, and I think that those are the right and consistent things to do.

By the way, I just want to say this is a brilliant game that just seems to get more and more enjoyable. A very big Thank you!

+1

cherrypicked | 10 years ago
0 likes

http://fantasy.road.cc/howto

"Disqualified riders

If a rider is disqualified or suspended then they won't score any points for the stage in which they were disqualified. Their other points from other stages will remain in the game."

I think this is a change from previous years, but this would seem quite clear

fluffchucker | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had 4 free changes which included putting Di Luca in my team.
Do we get last changes back, as I see I now only have 2 free?

backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes

Will all Di Lucas points be taken away from our scores??
will this effect badges? ie full houses etc??

stevemarks replied to backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:

Will all Di Lucas points be taken away from our scores??
will this effect badges? ie full houses etc??

He was part of the TTT that came 5th do we lose those points too?

This could get complicated!  7

Pages

Latest Comments