Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic wheel upgrade - entry level bike

I'm a bit of noob (both to the forum and to road cycling) so go easy on me.

I ride a 2010 Giant Defy 3 as my general road, also now my part time commuting bike and am doing my first sportive next month.

I'm thinking about upgrading my wheelset. Am I going to experience much difference at all over my stock Giant wheels by upgrading to Mavic Askiums? Or if I can scrape the money together is it worth me going for something like the Ksyriums? Obviously I'd notice more with the more expensive Ksyriums but money is very tight, so will I notice a positive difference with Askiums or not really?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

thelostboy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the advice and help guys, appreciate it. Will either put some money aside soon for an upgrade or might wait until end of the year and try and explain the n+1 theory to the missus again!

SevenHills replied to thelostboy | 10 years ago
0 likes
thelostboy wrote:

or might wait until end of the year and try and explain the n+1 theory to the missus again!

Best of luck with that one mate. I tried it and my missus just doesn't get it!

bigmel | 10 years ago
0 likes

"I wouldn't bother upgrading your Giant wheels unless you are going to go beyond the Aksiums as I don't think you will get enough out of it to warrant a change."

My mate also has the excellent Defy3 and the wheels are pretty good on it. Getting Aksiums is not enough of an advance over the original wheelset to justify you spending the money.

Save your £££ for the moment until you can buy a wheelset like the Ksyrium or equivalent.
THEN you WILL notice the improvement.

Sniffer | 10 years ago
0 likes

Aksium were on my bike at purchase. Good reliable wheels, absolutely nothing wrong with them. I did crack a front rim after a few years use, probably the road not the wheel to blame and bought Fulcrum 3s which make me feel faster (I have read the other thread). They do accelerate faster, whether my top speed is quicker is another matter. I wouldn't bother upgrading your Giant wheels unless you are going to go beyond the Aksiums as I don't think you will get enough out of it to warrant a change.

Wando | 10 years ago
0 likes

mavic Aksum great entry level wheel and good value for money compared to other makes for similar money, they are also bullet proof. Currently running mavic kysrium elites, massive step up in performance from the Aksumite. Both good wheels depending on your budget.

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

Read the following: http://road.cc/content/forum/82081-have-you-wasted-money-super-light-new... better off upgrading tyres depending on what you have now

abandoneur replied to spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes
SammyG wrote:

Read the following: http://road.cc/content/forum/82081-have-you-wasted-money-super-light-new... better off upgrading tyres depending on what you have now

Can open, worms everywhere...

SevenHills | 10 years ago
0 likes

I rode a Giant Defy Alliance and it came with Mavic CXP 22 Rims and Giant hubs and upgraded to Kysrium Equipes last year, (Wiggle were doing a deal and i got the wheel set for £300). I noticed a difference straight away not necessarily in weight but just how lively the bike felt especially when climbing.
I cannot let you know what the Askiums are like as i have never ridden them but if you can stretch to the Kysriums then i would definitely do so.

therevokid | 10 years ago
0 likes

what sort of budget are you talking about ?

thelostboy replied to therevokid | 10 years ago
0 likes
therevokid wrote:

what sort of budget are you talking about ?

Well Askiums are around £150-£170 or is it worth £350 if we're talking about going up to the Ksyrium Equipe S models?

I guess I'd be as interested in things just feeling a bit more lively than pure weight saving - I know getting on the world's lightest bike tomorrow wouldn't make me fitter!

Just about to read SammyG's link.

Latest Comments