Fund Raising for Charity

by nemysys   May 21, 2013  

I'm riding the Etape Merca in August and raising funds for the Marie Curie Cancer Care charity.

I have emailed everyone that I know with an email address - many have been very supportive and donated via the Virgin Money Giving website...

But a few people have rung me up or emailed me to say what a great cause... I'll be supporting you... etc

But none of them have yet made a donation... is this a new phenomenon...? Where people have to tell you how good they are... but having done that, they don't have to actually do anything...?

Anyone else come across this...?

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PaulAshbury

3 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I'm freezing my posterior off at the Giro as I speak, having ridden over 3000km through rain, hail and snow, having been robbed and hit by a car, and still going. Of course, I am doing it for charity, and some strangers have been wonderful, and yet from the huge number of people I know who promised to donate, only a tiny handful have. I am surprised and disappointed, I have to admit!

I'm riding the 2013 Giro d'Italia for charity! Check it out and follow my progress live at www.tourletour.com

Tour Le Tour's picture

posted by Tour Le Tour [91 posts]
24th May 2013 - 4:07

2 Likes

Yeah having the same, had some one promise a donation and never did it! I think it's because they have more of a get out clause at home ie. they aren't face to face with you!

posted by Cycle_Jim [282 posts]
24th May 2013 - 14:25

4 Likes

I know an awful lot of people who are raising money for this and that. There are sponsorship forms on notice boards at work. I also go to supermarkets and have hopeful looking people with buckets. Walk down the street there are people after money (loose change and for charity).
People know I ride a bike, they know I enjoy it, very little would be a real challenge.
Now if an 18 stone oofa was to say they were going to ride 100 miles, a marathon, climb Kilimanjaro I would be all ears and support.
I donate sums of money on a regular basis to various charities; other than that they can shove it. First question I ask is how much of my money goes to the benefactor and how much goes on admin? The answer is often surprising...

posted by SideBurn [873 posts]
25th May 2013 - 8:51

4 Likes