Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Damn, People like this really do exsist!

A little chat I have with a work colleague this morning;

He pipes up this morning about a group of four ‘selfish cyclists’. They were riding two abreast close behind each other (so taking up the same space as a car then).
He ap

proaches them from behind in his car and beeps(!) as he thinks they should move aside for him. I explained to him that they have an equal right to use the road as he does and if they go single file, it will make it more difficult to overtake them as they will then be the size of a lorry.
No, no, no, what he means is, they should move over and ride in the gutter to allow him past!
He then gets annoyed by ‘the cyclists arrogance’ and overtakes anyway. As he draws past them, a car comes around the corner towards him, forcing him to squeeze in between the two groups of two cyclists. Apparently the cyclists where somewhat displeased with this manoeuvre (who would have thought?!).
I point out the error of his ways and he then goes on to rant about cyclists not having insurance (I point out that I do have insurance like hundreds of thousands of other British cycling members) and that cyclists don’t pay road Tax (I point out that I pay the same rate of tax that zero emission cars do).
Apparently, ‘we’re never going to agree on this’.
Twat.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ok, don't think I want a comparison of handling in the wet.

Jon Burrage | 10 years ago
0 likes

the first few comments were fantastic

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

No, really, I was deadly serious about slashing his wife and sleeping with his tyres.

PS - For those too busy to understand, this comment and my other one, aren't really serious.

PPS - I also understand that the tyres and wife are the wrong way round the second comment, this is intentional and was to add to the humour you have utterly drained from it all.

notfastenough replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:

No, really, I was deadly serious about slashing his wife and sleeping with his tyres.

PS - For those too busy to understand, this comment and my other one, aren't really serious.

PPS - I also understand that the tyres and wife are the wrong way round the second comment, this is intentional and was to add to the humour you have utterly drained from it all.

At least you had the good grace to top it up again.

Are his tyres better looking than his wife?

farrell replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Are his tyres better looking than his wife?

They're probably about the same looks wise, but the rolling resistance is much better....

Abbie | 10 years ago
0 likes

geargrinderbeard, Yes we all share the road. And we all need to give respect equally. I hadn't noticed an 'Us and Them' until you swung round and aimed at the pedestrian!

Collett73 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've read and re-read my original post several times and I still can't see how it can be mistaken for a "them and us vitriol". It was clearly a "him and me" disagreement.
As for the "fucking his wife" comments. I'm pretty sure they are just joking. At least I hope they are, she's a pig.  4

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

These are the kind of people who keep axes in the side of their car.

Bese place to be is behind them.

geargrinderbeard | 10 years ago
0 likes

Or stop being such a bell, you're as bad as he is with your vitriolic rant about car drivers....

bike_food replied to geargrinderbeard | 10 years ago
0 likes
geargrinderbeard wrote:

Or stop being such a bell, you're as bad as he is with your vitriolic rant about car drivers....

Are you the guy the op was talking to?
Don't recall any rant about car drivers, just an individual with different views to his.

notfastenough replied to geargrinderbeard | 10 years ago
0 likes
geargrinderbeard wrote:

I'm really not keen on the whole cyclists=good, drivers=bad rhetoric that is sometimes spouted on here. HOWEVER, it doesn't seem that the OP is guilty of this? Are you reading some of the comments in the Tweeting driver article instead?

geargrinderbeard replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

I agree entirely, there's some pretty shocking stuff floating about relating to that tweeting driver, pretty interesting on Twitter too.

At the end of the day, when people first went trawling the internet to find that girl's employer, photos, address etc etc there was absolutely no evidence that any crime had actually been committed - just the say-so of a clearly idiotic individual. I was pretty shocked to see the lynch mob mentality that formed off the back of it - the fact that there was actually a crime and that she will rightly face prosecution is, to my mind, overshadowed by the fairly outrageous sentiments expressed by some. There's a flavour of that even on this fairly innocuous post (which I would chalk up to annoying workplace banter at worst) - "f*ck his wife, slash his tyres, f*ck his nan" etc - are people serious??

My earlier post wasn't the most eloquent I admit and I apologise for calling the author a bell - I just cracked after reading so much us and them vitriole - at the heart of the matter there is no us and them - I commute over 100 miles a week through London, do sportives, weekly rides and club runs - but then I also drive a car as well - how are people so angry all the time?? People in cars are prone to idiocy, but then I've seen some fairly shoddy riding in my time - bottom line we're all just people sharing the same strip of tarmac - no one 'group' has a right to unfettered access.

And for the record - all of my numerous crashes (apart from when I rode into the back of a car at some lights)have been caused by pedestrians - the unsung menace of the roads!

notfastenough replied to geargrinderbeard | 10 years ago
0 likes
geargrinderbeard wrote:

"f*ck his wife, slash his tyres, f*ck his nan" etc - are people serious??

If you're not sure, I suspect your sarcasm detector may need a servicing. The needle on mine was off the scale.

Collett73 replied to geargrinderbeard | 10 years ago
0 likes
geargrinderbeard wrote:

I've nothing against car drivers. I've been one for 24 years.
I do have a problem with anyone putting someone's life at risk for the sake of shaving 10 seconds off their journey.

gw replied to Collett73 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Collett73 wrote:

I do have a problem with anyone putting someone's life at risk for the sake of shaving 10 seconds off their journey.

This is what most of this boils down to. This lack of respect for another persons life is real pond-life stuff.

Not after sympathy for choosing to ride my bike, but equally my right to choose to ride my bike should be respected.

Leviathan replied to geargrinderbeard | 10 years ago
0 likes
geargrinderbeard wrote:

One post and that is the first thing you say... My god we've been infiltrated!

Really I don't know many roads that actually have a gutter, gutters are for roofs. If there was a nice smooth piece of cement at the edge of the road I would be happy to ride there but there ain't.

Don't forget to 'pour sugar in his gas tank whilst ****ing his grandmother.'

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

4 This is one of those situation where you genuinely won't be able to bridge the gap to his train of thought - kinda like the whole 'arming teachers' thing in America. All you can really do is point out that his view (cyclists should pull over) is opinion, whereas the cyclists view (they didn't have to) is fact, and backed up by law. You could add something about 'most cyclists' using helmet-cams (blatant lie, but white in nature) to try and deter him from pulling such a manoeuvre in future.

Displeased - who would have thought, indeed?!  13

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Why would you want to sleep with his hand????  4

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

Slash his tyres then sleep with his wife.

That'll learn him.

BUZZ6835 replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

Maybe ask to see a photo of his wife first!  4

Joselito replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:

Slash his tyres then sleep with his wife.

That'll learn him.

Ha.

Copy the relevant pages of the Highway Code and stick them all over his car when he's in a meeting.

Latest Comments