Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Strava,legs,recovery!

Evening learned cyclists, im currently doing the Strava May Massive on my MTB and have reached 835 kms so if i carry on my 20 miles after work per day and 35s saturday and sunday im gonna reach the 1000k's by Sunday which leaves me 5 days in May!
Now my legs (top half mainly) Are suffering after what will be 26 days riding so after all that my question is recovery i have two trains of thought one that says cut the rides right down each evening and the other is stop altogether for five days, how do you guys go about recovery?
Just to throw a slight spanner in the works i pick up my first brand spanking new road bike on Sunday  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

You may be able to recover by riding very easy depending on your fitness

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

1 Thanks all so im guessing due to your suggestions there is no hard and fast rules to rest or not rest?

Wifes rolling pin is ready for action after tonights ride (oooeeerr!)

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use a kids flotation snake, hard to describe but my kids used to use it for swimming, it's about 6ft long and blue, you may of Sen them in your local pool, I do yoga with it and roll myself up and down it, great for my back, actually I may of even invented a new form of yoga accidentally,I shall call it yoga massage look.

all cyclists should do yoga btw your body can become too reliant on using the same muscles.

Old Cranky | 10 years ago
0 likes

Forget resting. Get your new road bike and find a race - with those miles in your legs you'll ride off the front of a 4th Cat race.  1

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks i'll look em up, ps dont feel hard at the mo, cream crackered more like  1

Nzlucas | 10 years ago
0 likes

After getting a touch of cyclists knee earlier in the month my advice would be get a foam roller!!! Roll around after every ride paying attention to the quads and calfs. First few times will be painful but keep going with it and you will feel a million bucks after a week and all those little aches will stop!

You can get them from as little as £8 on amazon, if you need something straight away steal the wife rolling pin and do your quads with that.

Go hard man,
Cheers

skitza | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cheers!  1 Forme Axe Edge Comp , whole new experience for me ,carbon,clip ins ect, thought about finishing the 1000 next week with the new bike but figure my squeaky old battered mtb deserves the honour after getting me this far  1

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

I forgot to say - well done! 1000 MTB kms in less than four weeks is no mean feat. You'll deserve rest after that. What bike are you getting?

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have a rest at some point, it really will do you good. If you really *must* keep riding then take it very easy for a few days, soft pedal all the way as if you were taking a kid out with you. Your legs need some time off to adapt and rebuild. You will come back even stronger after two or three days rest.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Proper pre ride warm up & post ride warm down, mix of carbs and protein. plenty of liquids. chocolate milk post ride is a good'un

pdows47 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Rub down/ massage after the ride (I have a Sprinter's Stick, its in the reviews on here) coupled with protein meals and beet juice after finishing. Works well for me, but the trick is to find what works for you

Latest Comments