Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Am I aiming too high with my budget??

Hey all,

Looking for some advice, and direction.

I've been into cycling for just over 2 years now, and after getting an excellent starter bike in a Trek 1.2, I'm now looking for something a little better.

Got my eye on full carbon, but with a budget of just £1000, am I being unrealistic?

If so, can anyone recommend a top class bike, that is going to blow my mind for the budget? (Quite fancy something away from the norm!)

Thanks

Matthew

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

PJ McNally | 10 years ago
0 likes

Alu is "the taste", apparently.

Seriously, don't dismiss aluminium. with a carbon fork obviously. You'll get a better groupo, wheels etc for your money, and a solid frame.

mmorgan150 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ive been looking at the Planet X and it does look a great machine!!
Great recommendations!

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

There is a Planet X bike with rival for only 1000 you can't go wrong with that, would e an amazing bike !!

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

look at the second hand market, I just picked myself up a really good carbon bike for 800, with ultegra  4

mmorgan150 replied to billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes
billyman wrote:

look at the second hand market, I just picked myself up a really good carbon bike for 800, with ultegra  4

I'm always cautious of second hand. Can be great, but can be risky!

stepho | 10 years ago
0 likes

The Ribble bike builder is excellent.

Choose from any number of really good frames (carbon or Alu) and choose your components.

They also do the cycle to work scheme as well. You will be surprised by the spec you get for £1000

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Before seeing the Mekk the CAAD and Defy were the top choices, with a specialized squeezing in. I think i'd have been happy with the CAAD of the Defy so I don't think carbon is essential, both have had rave reviews on here and I think carbon is probably a bit of a misleading magic material!

Marauder | 10 years ago
0 likes

I bought a Focus Cayo from Wiggle a couple of years ago for under £900.

I have seen a lot of people recommend Canyon on here.
Definitely worth a look.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

I bought a carbon bike for £1k, but it's worth saying that my mates alu trek 1.9 rides better, I would say proceed with caution!

If I was buying now for £1k I would shortlist the Mekk, a CAAD, the new Giant TCR and the coming-soon Kinesis Athein - all but one are alu.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
YorkshireMike replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

Giant Defy 1.

Not carbon, I know, but a superb frame and good spec.

http://road.cc/content/forum/51217-giant-defy-1-or-trek-23-or-boardman-team

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-giant-d...

Road.cc recently gave the alu TCR a big thumbs-up.

I love my Defy 1, not carbon, not the lightest in the world, but it does high mileage, and it certainly doesn't stop me flying past crabon hounds when I want to! Definitely worth a look at, and you could always upgrade with carbon wheels and lose most of the standard-issue heaviness.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Glad to be of help!

...wonder if Mekk will pay me commission!

Let me know how you get on I'll subscribe to the thread so i'll get emails!

0 likes

From what i've read, the Mekk is really going to take some beating!

There is a stockist near me, so I intend to go and have a look and take one for a spin.

Love the paint job on it too!

One of my cycling buddies got a ribble, and he wasnt too impressed, so I am a little reluctant.

The planet X is a nice bike, but the Mekk is going to take some beating at the moment!

I shall report back after the test drive!

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

morgan, go on Edinburgh cycles, they have the bigger sister the potenza 3g for 1100

mmorgan150 replied to Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Cycle_Jim wrote:

morgan, go on Edinburgh cycles, they have the bigger sister the potenza 3g for 1100

TOP MAN!

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Canyon always gets a shout too.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ah I see, makes sense now!

I got mine 2012 model from wiggle for £840, think they are a little higher price now but I did see one on Edinburgh cycles recently.

Carbon maybe the dream machine but I was originally going to get a cannondale CAAD8 which always gets stellar reviews! I was only put off by the team colour paint job (though it looks quite nice)
Heard good things about planet-x, ribble might be worth checking out

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well if mmorgan150 hasn't heard of it...
What be your suggestions then morgan, you seem quite dismissive of everybody elses suggestions!

I ride one, my mate has just bought his 2nd.

It's a great bike think road.cc may have done a review on its bigger sister but not sure.

mmorgan150 replied to Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Jim, I wasn't been dismissive, I was saying how great it was!!!

I said in my thread I fancied something different, away from the norm, and you hit it on the head! I've been searching the best deal since!

Have you heard of the Planet-X? Any good?

Cheers. Matthew

crash144019 | 10 years ago
0 likes

You can top up ride to work funding with your own cash if you like or as said wait until September and pick up a bargain as new models come into the shops

Tmowbs | 10 years ago
0 likes

Keep an eye out as the season comes to a close. Some of the £1500-2000 range can be reduced down to as little as £1000. Ride to work scheme could knock that down to £600-800.

SpeshRider7287 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Careers Virago. I speak from experience. Best full carbon bike for a grand that you will find this side of China... You will not be disappointed.

mmorgan150 replied to SpeshRider7287 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just don't think I could bring myself to give my money to Halfords! #notabikeshop

0 likes

Good darts that man! Great call, and a bike none of my mates ride or heard of.

Any more???!!!??

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Mekk poggio 105

Latest Comments