Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro d'Italia - Stage 15

Confirmed that the stage will go ahead but the final climb of the Galibier will be shortened.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/galibier-stage-of-the-giro-ditalia-to-en...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

55 comments

rcorbin | 10 years ago
0 likes

179 and 500th on the stage. I'm going stage hunting now! Question is the time trial or the last day?!

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

I reckon the TT, stage 17 and 21 are the ones best for stage hunting. If you throw all your eggs into a sprint basket for 17 you may get lucky and by 21 more people will be stage hunting. Plus, 21 is pretty much nailed on top be a sprint finish whereas 17 could go either way and most people might go for safer picks  4

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

What you're effectively saying is 'i can't in the six remaining stages overtake the people that have consistently outscored me in the first 15'

letsgoup | 10 years ago
0 likes

why oh why oh why does Gavzzi keep coming second to last on every stage. aaaaarrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh  102  102  102  102  102

silas chime | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh Yes

285pts and a long awaited first stage win  4  4  4  4

Can we 'shorten' a few more stages please?

P.S I've already got a pump so feel free to either give it to the second place man or,better still donate it as a prize for the 'Pick Three Italians' game?

silas chime | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've just seen it'sthe best stage score of the season so far  13  13  13  13  13  13

Ghedebrav replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I reckon the TT, stage 17 and 21 are the ones best for stage hunting. If you throw all your eggs into a sprint basket for 17 you may get lucky and by 21 more people will be stage hunting. Plus, 21 is pretty much nailed on top be a sprint finish whereas 17 could go either way and most people might go for safer picks  4

Surely then better to *not* go for those, given that everyone else will also be stage hunting? Better to go for a medium mountains stage and just select a random range of non-GC non-TT non-sprint guys who aren't protecting a teammate and have a bit of form?

A stage such as... the next one!  4

drheaton replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

What you're effectively saying is 'i can't in the six remaining stages overtake the people that have consistently outscored me in the first 15'

Its the way the game is, you need to get out in front to win, its nigh on impossible to make up serious ground in the last week because the same GC guys are in the points every day and most of the top 50 are picking safely.

Unless you get lucky with a break (Visconti today) you've no chance. But Dave's right, if you score consistently less over 15 stages it shouldn't be easy to make that up in a couple of days. It is possible, but only by predicting breaks and that's a very risky ploy.

I was in the Giro top 20 last year but going into the last weekend I had no real chance of winning by picking the obvious riders so I tried to chase the break. I dropped like a stone and only by lucking out and picking De Gendt on the queen stage did I manage to limit my losses.

stevemarks replied to silas chime | 10 years ago
0 likes
silas chime wrote:

I've just seen it'sthe best stage score of the season so far  13  13  13  13  13  13

Congratulations!

That is a good day!

silas chime replied to silas chime | 10 years ago
0 likes
silas chime wrote:

Oh Yes

285pts and a long awaited first stage win  4  4  4  4

Can we 'shorten' a few more stages please?

P.S I've already got a pump so feel free to either give it to the second place man or,better still donate it as a prize for the 'Pick Three Italians' game?

Hope that's OK?

drheaton replied to Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Surely then better to *not* go for those, given that everyone else will also be stage hunting? Better to go for a medium mountains stage and just select a random range of non-GC non-TT non-sprint guys who aren't protecting a teammate and have a bit of form?

A stage such as... the next one!  4

The high mountain stages (19 & 20) will be taken by those still after high overall placings so I'd avoid those. The flats (maybe 17, definitely 21) are predictable so yeah, the MM may work but they're less predictable. 17 is potentially best because it falls between an unpredictable stage 16 and the TT. Players going for the overall will likely stick with GC guys as they'll want them for 18 so there'd be less players stacking their teams with sprinters.

stevemarks replied to silas chime | 10 years ago
0 likes
silas chime wrote:

Congratulations!

That is a good day!

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Scores updating, my 201 points was only good enough for 217th on the stage!  20

On the bright side 144 on my purist team moves by back up into the running again, unfortunately the purist leader had Visconti and is now 80 points ahead of everyone else.

giff77 | 10 years ago
0 likes

1, 4, 6, 7, 10, 17 for me.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

poor stage today, banked on the Galibier being open to the top and picked a team for that.

Fell short though with 2,7,8,9,10 plus pirazzi and chalapud

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

Appollonio lantern rouge

Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

This is all relative! You may have done well but so has everyone else. It becomes easier to pick riders the later the competition progresses. The trick is to try to pick the riders on days where it is less predictable - as in earlier in the competition.

One of the weaknesses of the FC game is that once you get to this stage in the comp., it's almost impossible to have a chance of winning it unless you are in the top 20 or perhaps even top 10. I'm currently 37th but don't have a chance in hell of winning overall.

dave atkinson replied to Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes
Tom Amos wrote:

This is all relative! You may have done well but so has everyone else. It becomes easier to pick riders the later the competition progresses. The trick is to try to pick the riders on days where it is less predictable - as in earlier in the competition.

One of the weaknesses of the FC game is that once you get to this stage in the comp., it's almost impossible to have a chance of winning it unless you are in the top 20 or perhaps even top 10. I'm currently 37th but don't have a chance in hell of winning overall.

that's true whatever the rules are

ray silvester replied to Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes
Tom Amos wrote:

Pretty much the same in real life......Peter Weening is the current 37th rider on GC and whilst he may not win the Giro there's chances for a stage win/podium(we'd get prizes/badges for that),he may move up the standings and therefore increase his UCI points(we'd move up in the overall/regional leagues) and so on.

There are different targets within the game as in cycling itself which may change as the season and indeed each event unfolds.

johnny2names | 10 years ago
0 likes

2,4,7,8,9,10 + chalapud + pirazzi points. Ok I guess

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I need to get last place home to only be a couple of points off you guys that got 13 and 17th  19

Come on Le Bon or Mezgec  19

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

2,3,4,7,8,9,10,13,17 for me. that'll do  4

TERatcliffe26 replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

2,3,4,7,8,9,10,13,17 for me. that'll do  4

Same score as the boss

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Only my second full house of the season! 2,4,7,8,9,16,17 plus Weening and Pirazzi. No cycling at all tomorrow!  2

stevemarks | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gamble failed Pozzovivo, crashes as do I.

2,3,4,7,9,10 plus Pirazzi points and only 4 transfers for Tuesday.

20  20

Wig_Billy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Rubbish. Think I'll stick to conservative transfers from now on.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

2,3,4,7,8,9,10 for me today  4

chiv30 replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

2,3,4,7,8,9,10 for me today  4

Same here ,plus whatever points chalapud gives me

TERatcliffe26 replied to chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:
Gkam84 wrote: