Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Why is it considered wanky to wear sky kit

Apologies if the intricacies of the Scottish language is lost on you all  4
But I've noticed a few derisory comments about people wearing sky kit to sportives etc. why is it considered naff?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

161 comments

Joselito | 10 years ago
0 likes

How to look non-wanky in someone else's kit:
wearing a CCCP vest and No. 5,
Mr Steve Ovett.

thebungle replied to CapriciousZephyr | 10 years ago
0 likes
CapriciousZephyr wrote:

And I, too, really liked the ONCE logo; I even have a quick look on the 'bay every now and then to see if one of their jerseys is available, to make a change from my old Telekom one.

For you my friend, one hundred pounds!

notfastenough replied to Charlie96 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Charlie96 wrote:

Does no one ride in their club colours? Looks way better than anything you'll buy in a shop!

+1. Even when not in full club kit I use the club gilet.

Al'76 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I quite happily sport the club jersey...rather support my own "team" than somebody else's!

Ian P replied to Tinternet_tim | 10 years ago
0 likes

I found the picture of the individual that was posted to be a little cruel. He obviously enjoys the sport and has worked hard to get his kit and bike up to a standard to enable him to compete. If he is into cycling there is a strong chance he reads this site or will stumble across it in the future. I know I would be gutted and annoyed to know that others are publicly making fun or laughing at me for the who world to see just because he has chosen to buy a specific design on cycling top and because of his appearance.

I find a lot on here are 'more holy than thou'. Opinion is good, cruelty is not!
Shame on lots of you![/quote]

Exactly what I thought on reading this thread.

I hope it was his first 10 and he did a 22:00, discovered he had a massive talent for TTing, went on to win a national title, then turned up at his next club 10 deliberately looking as wanky as possible and put three minutes into the second placed rider, then rode home into the sunset laughing to himself without bothering to check the result board.

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

For a minute there I thought you meant Alan Sugar  3

Leviathan replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

This is not a pro rider. He was wearing a Sky jersey in local club '10' last night:

Would you tell him to his face that he looks wanky?

It is not the jersey that makes the guy look funny, the proportions of the bike looks like a pennyfathing. And the 80's helmet with the cap under it has to go.

It seems I have been sticking to Rule 17 very closely without knowing it. I have always had team kits but must have the matching shorts and socks and mitts and long sleeved jersey, etc. It is a very expensive hobby; but red Saeco or blue Gerolsteiner shorts get you noticed.

I seldom see anyone else on the road who is wearing anything else but a plain jersey with black short, so if you want to be anonymous good for you. I too don't like the mahoosive Sky logo on the kit, but if I saw someone in matching Sky kit I would at least know they think they look fly in their kit and I am all for that.

A wise man once said 'Collars and cuffs; they've gotta match, gotta match.'

tomisitt | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm with Fixie Girl on this...I personally wouldn't want to associate myself with a Murdoch company like Sky, just as I would never wear an Orica Greenedge jersey because Orica are a scuzzy company, or a Katusha jersey because of their Gazprom sponsorship. That, and the fact that most team kits are hideous. Ironically, the Sky kit is the only team kit I quite like from an aesthetic and quality point of view.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Pretty sure that when I go out in my Vo2 kit I get more space on the roads.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've been overtaken by a lot of people in my time.

But never by a yellow jersey, by the rainbow stripes, or outclimbed by a polka dot jersey.

There's a lot, A LOT, of really lovely jerseys out there. Try em. They're almost certainly better than replica champs jerseys.

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

CapriciousZephyr you nailed it and the ONCE jersey is here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111066838458&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123
I have the very same sitting on my shelf for the sunshine. I also cycled all the way from Manchester to Chester in 1999 to pick up the black TDF version and buy my first ever road kit. On a mountain bike it took 10 hours. I have no idea who on ONCE raced clean or not, I just wanted to be in yellow.

I am amazed this thread is still going! but it seem the 'wear what you want or what inspires you' are clearly in the majority on the road and on this forum. Maybe the naysayers have good reasons (and I am no fan of Murdoch) but there are definitely some that are snobs, you know who you are.
Take a look at the Funicular climb video and you will see all kinds of kit, pro teams, clubs, plain, bmx baggies, skinsuit and good old hoodies. They all rock and the variety adds to the gaiety of the nation. Get yourself down to a sportive and you might beat a few Sky guys but there will be someone else with Fizik written on his arse disappearing in to the distance leaving you in the dust.

comm88 | 10 years ago
0 likes

You shouldn't give a tuppenny toss what other people think.

It isn't bad form or whatever the "others" espouse. The moment you start to listen to the "well considered opinions" of others about what to wear - you are lost. Wear WHATEVER MAKES YOU HAPPY and makes you feel good ... about yourself - and if that happens to make other people unhappy, or snide - so be it.

Give 'em the middle finger and just pedal harder.

I sometimes ride in the old Sky blue, red and white track styled top whenever I feel like it - and I totally love it! Makes me feel good and I am very proud to own it and wear it.

And I'm a fat old git in lycra - and I couldn't care less what others think.

I also run the roads in a GB Olympics 2012 T shirt (I just love the design!) and I occasionally wear a Great Britain Olympics 2012 blue hoodie when I'm out shopping.

It's not about pretending to be "somebody special" - but it is all about being who you are!

trikeman replied to Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Look me in the face.

LOOK ME IN THE GODDAM FACE.

Is this OK?

IS IT?

REALLY?

All available on ebay  16

Is that a Chinarello?

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

snappyandrew | 10 years ago
0 likes

IMHO wearing the Sky top is equivalent to wearing a Man Utd or Liverpool top. Add to this the Murdoch connection and the quality of the shirt and I'm out

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

I note that there is a poll result in Cycling+ this month on this very subject. Something like 64% say wear what you want. Only 15% say you shouldn't wear it because you haven't earned it.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just bought a copy one from china for 8.99. Might be cheap and nasty but in all honesty i dont give a toss what anyone else thinks or says.

Roscoemck replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:
northstar wrote:

Wear what you want, it's no one's business but yours.

All that needs to be said.

End of.

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't wear the Sky kit because of two reasons:

1) I don't particularly like the Murdoch connection and most importantly:

2) It just doesn't do anything for me. It, along with many other pro-kits, are very dull and boring but then many of the rest are ridiculously lairy.

If I was going to spend that amount of cash on it I'd want to like it. There are several Rapha jerseys I'd opt for over the Sky one, last years Paris - Roubaix one for starters.

The British kit is an absolute no-no for me as I regularly end up doing the same route (Down the Kingsway into Longsight) as a few riders on the British team based at the Velodrome. I'd be too embarrassed wearing it in front of them.

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

And whilst I'm not Anti-Sky kit being worn, I have encountered some tossers in Sky kit, so if you are wearing a Sky kit and you are referred to as "That tosser in the Sky kit" it may not necessarily be due to your choice of attire. You may just be a tosser.

Always worth remembering.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ah yes, that nasty Mr. Murdoch,

Owner of that company investing millions into British cycling at amateur (Olympic) level

Owner of the company sponsoring the team who gave us our first British TDF winner,

Owner of the paper running a prominent cycling campaign

Owner of the company sponsoring the sports youth trust

The world's not black and white, folks!  13 let's not forget the above when we jump on the anti-Murdoch band wagon. I seek to redress the balance here in a cycling context and I'm not saying he and his organisation are saints.

joc replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

Ah yes, that nasty Mr. Murdoch,

Owner of that company investing millions into British cycling at amateur (Olympic) level

Owner of the company sponsoring the team who gave us our first British TDF winner,

Owner of the paper running a prominent cycling campaign

Owner of the company sponsoring the sports youth trust

The world's not black and white, folks!  13 let's not forget the above when we jump on the anti-Murdoch band wagon. I seek to redress the balance here in a cycling context and I'm not saying he and his organisation are saints.

Bingo

tomisitt | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm...how much interest did The Times take in cycling BEFORE one of their staff was seriously injured in a bike accident?

Sky's sponsorship of cycling started AFTER British Cycling started winning medals and gaining global plaudits. Businesses provide sponsorship for very oblivious reasons, not because they have any particular love of the sport.

If Sky was genuinely interested in cycling, it wouldn't be the Johnny-come-lately of the sport, throwing its money around like a middle-eastern Sheik with a football club. And we would have seen cycling on Sky Sports before 2010.

And then there's Murdoch himself, and his hateful media empire, bribing, lying, libelling, hacking, objectifying women, etc etc. If you think throwing a few coins into cycling's begging bowl is somehow mitigation for the appalling behaviour of Murdoch and his minions over many decades, then by all means wear Sky kit. But it's not something I would consider.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

@Tomisitt, yeah much better if Sky had been running a team in say, 1998, when everyone was nicely doped up.

How dare they come late to the party, with their new-fangled complete zero tolerance approach to doping!

Seriously, we all know corporations are essentially after their own interests, in this case publicity through success through sport on the world stage. It just so happens that they've chosen cycling, a sport I love, and have contributed to British success, which I applaud.

To completely dismiss all that because of an anti Murdoch view is being too simplistic, in my view.

But by all means, wear what you want! Those Festina tops are nice!  3

joc replied to tomisitt | 10 years ago
0 likes
tomisitt wrote:

Hmmm...how much interest did The Times take in cycling BEFORE one of their staff was seriously injured in a bike accident?

Sky's sponsorship of cycling started AFTER British Cycling started winning medals and gaining global plaudits. Businesses provide sponsorship for very oblivious reasons, not because they have any particular love of the sport.

If Sky was genuinely interested in cycling, it wouldn't be the Johnny-come-lately of the sport, throwing its money around like a middle-eastern Sheik with a football club. And we would have seen cycling on Sky Sports before 2010.

And then there's Murdoch himself, and his hateful media empire, bribing, lying, libelling, hacking, objectifying women, etc etc. If you think throwing a few coins into cycling's begging bowl is somehow mitigation for the appalling behaviour of Murdoch and his minions over many decades, then by all means wear Sky kit. But it's not something I would consider.

I couldn't give a toss about the reasons behind it but you are extremely naive if you don't think that sky have had a massive effect on British cycling... And I find your smug Johnny come lately comment extremely arrogant. So what I've you've been into cycling for years. What's your contribution to the sport we love?

tomisitt | 10 years ago
0 likes

Undoubtedly Sky's sponsorship has been very beneficial to British cycling, encouraging more people to get onto bikes. But don't think for one second that their sponsorship is based on anything other than sound financial reasoning.

BTW, Sky's zero-tolerance didn't stop them employing Geert Leinders, so I think we should be careful before getting too sanctimonious.

My Johnny-come-lately observation was meant to illustrate that Sky has no historic love of cycling; they identified sport where they could get maximum exposure, threw relatively large amounts of money at an expensively assembled team, and have done very well out of it.

I'm happy that Wiggins won the Tour, even if it was uncomfortably remiscent of US Postal (and about as exciting), and I'm delighted to see Brits doing well in the peleton. It's a shame Sky don't have a women's team. Presumably because it doesn't get the sort of media coverage that warrants that sort of investment.

Ultimately, in my view Murdoch and his corporations are morally bankrupt, and that's why I'd never wear the kit. If other people want to, that's entirely their business.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

This is the line
The line between winning and losing
Between failure and success
Between good and great
Between dreaming and believing
Between convention and innovation
Between head and heart
It's a fine line
It changes everything we do
And we ride it every day

If you have had time to read this guff on the back of the jersey of someone pootling along in the middle of a narrow lane, hands feathering the brakes in front of you then there's every chance that the kit might seem a bit wanky. Wear it if you want, I guess some people like the taste of corporate jiz. Each to his own.

Brailsford, the Olympic team and British Cycling have done wonders for the sport. Murdoch has thrown in some money, he's still an execrable character.

joc replied to tomisitt | 10 years ago
0 likes
tomisitt wrote:

Undoubtedly Sky's sponsorship has been very beneficial to British cycling, encouraging more people to get onto bikes. But don't think for one second that their sponsorship is based on anything other than sound financial reasoning.

BTW, Sky's zero-tolerance didn't stop them employing Geert Leinders, so I think we should be careful before getting too sanctimonious.

My Johnny-come-lately observation was meant to illustrate that Sky has no historic love of cycling; they identified sport where they could get maximum exposure, threw relatively large amounts of money at an expensively assembled team, and have done very well out of it.

I'm happy that Wiggins won the Tour, even if it was uncomfortably remiscent of US Postal (and about as exciting), and I'm delighted to see Brits doing well in the peleton. It's a shame Sky don't have a women's team. Presumably because it doesn't get the sort of media coverage that warrants that sort of investment.

Ultimately, in my view Murdoch and his corporations are morally bankrupt, and that's why I'd never wear the kit. If other people want to, that's entirely their business.

I think you'll find most sponsors of pro teams are based on sound financial reasoning

Philsopinion | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have to say reading all this rubbish about team kit is almost enough to put a new cyclist off even bothering to get out and ride. I've recently returned to riding and as I need a jersey just happen to like and have bought some of the pro team kit. I don't hurtle past people thinking I'm in some way superior, I certainly don't make snide comments as I'm in no position to and just because I have some team kit I don't profess to be any kind of expert. So books and covers springs to mind.

For all those people passing comment, how about we all concentrate on riding (and getting others to), rather than worrying our tiny minds about what is allegedly naff and what isn't .

Wear what you want, when you want and enjoy the experience!

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

People will be saying it's ok to wear Pierre Rolland's polka dot shorts next...  3

700c replied to Philsopinion | 10 years ago
0 likes
Philsopinion wrote:

I have to say reading all this rubbish about team kit is almost enough to put a new cyclist off even bothering to get out and ride. I've recently returned to riding and as I need a jersey just happen to like and have bought some of the pro team kit. I don't hurtle past people thinking I'm in some way superior, I certainly don't make snide comments as I'm in no position to and just because I have some team kit I don't profess to be any kind of expert. So books and covers springs to mind.

For all those people passing comment, how about we all concentrate on riding (and getting others to), rather than worrying our tiny minds about what is allegedly naff and what isn't .

Wear what you want, when you want and enjoy the experience!

Majority of posts on this thread actually say exactly this, so I'm not sure where you are coming from with 'all this rubbish'. If this is representative of wider road cycling opinion then rest assured you are unlikely to be judged by very many, whatever you wear.

As for Rolland's polka dot shorts, agreed, they were bad, like some children's pajamas or something! At least he won't have to worry about that after yesterday's stage! (unless he's still wearing by default as the yellow's technically leading KOM,.not sure).

Pages

Latest Comments