Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Why is it considered wanky to wear sky kit

Apologies if the intricacies of the Scottish language is lost on you all  4
But I've noticed a few derisory comments about people wearing sky kit to sportives etc. why is it considered naff?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

161 comments

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wear what you want, it's no one's business but yours.

skivandal replied to northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

My two favourite jerseys are a long sleeve livestrong one and a sky cav world champ top, often worn with fdj bottoms or htc tights when it is cold. So apparently lots of you will think I am very wanky.

Could not care less, was there for big Mig in the nineties, through the passing of the Pirate and still rate Lance's seven as fantastically exciting tours (some more than others).

Have a garage of four bikes with only one that in any way could be called decent, the others of various combination of old bikes including my brothers MBK 15th bday present racer from 1990.

It does not matter what you wear or what you ride, or if you have been following since the inaugural tour (hope you have a decent set of bday cards from the queen) or last week. Anyone that tries to diss you for what you wear or ride are tossers, just do your turn on the front, and don't jam your brakes on.

joc replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

Simpler answer - those buying Sky kit now are the same sort who were wearing Livestrong kit a few years back.
It's the obvious choice, the choice which marks you out as someone who hasn't put much thought into what they want to project of themselves. Wear the kit because the riders you've heard of wear it.
It's not the wrong choice, but it's the bland choice.
Whatever, fine, loads of people are fine with being bland, I won't judge you too much for it.
But the history of the sport isn't bland. The great riders had panache. The great riders looked great as well as performing great feats.
I know I'll never be able to match their athleticism, but I know I can make an effort and find a jersey that makes me look how I want to perform. Socks that set off a detail on my frame. I'll do that, because Merckx did that. Fignon did that. LeMond did that.
This isn't just an excuse to huff and puff my way around a few hills.
This is so very much more. Don't dismiss it. Embrace it all.
It's not compulsory, but it's fucking great to get down into the nitty gritty.

I get what your saying mate, I really do.... And I too am seduced with the great colourful characters and the romanticism of the sport. But surely wiggins Winning the Tour de France last year is also something to be celebrated. To say someone is bland because they wear a team sky kit is quite something really and reeks of snobbery.

stepho | 10 years ago
0 likes

Rode a great sportive recently and some dude was wearing a pair of cargo shorts and skateboard trainers, rode like a trooper and was obviously having a blast.

Sky pro kit, king of the mountains jersey on a shit climber or a shellsuit. Who gives a fuck what anyone is wearing. I care about what im wearing but couldn't give a toss about anyone else, as far as im concerned they are just cyclists the very same as me just with a different take on fashion.  4

Raleigh | 10 years ago
1 like

Look me in the face.

LOOK ME IN THE GODDAM FACE.

Is this OK?

IS IT?

REALLY?

Super Domestique replied to Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Look me in the face.

Is this OK?

IS IT?

REALLY?

Yes. His money, his choice.

Super Domestique replied to northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

Wear what you want, it's no one's business but yours.

All that needs to be said.

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is it the adidas Sky kit? Rapha Sky kit or just any Sky kit that people object to?

It's the same 'debate' as leg shaving almost!

On another note, I went to drop off my daughter at a friends house today, while driving back I passed more than a few cyclists, some had a peak helmet but a rapha jersey. Where does fit that in? (it was plain rapha not sky btw)

I can't believe it bothers people so much.

Tinternet_tim replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

Simon, I would tell him, YES, because of his socks....WTF are they about?

Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

A ridiculous answer....... Do you wear anything with a label on it? Or are you one of these new age hippy wanks who don't wear shoes so your closer to the earth

How was it ridiculous? WHITE socks and BLACK shoes....really??

I wear socks, sometimes white ones, but that's because I have white shoes.....

As for your "hippy wank" comment, if people don't want to wear shoes, that's up to them, who are YOU to say what's right and wrong....

Isn't this a complete Contradiction?? Judging someone in 1 post and then complaining when someone does the same?

Not sure what gives anyone the right to judge what other cyclist wear. I wouldn't personally choose to wear a team kit, but others do...fine. Maybe it is a way of living out a dream and inspiring them to achieve more? Either way each to their own.
As others have said, its not really any different of wear sports wear with logo's and brands splattered all over them. Maybe we should take the same approach for the Assos/Rapha/Castelli crowd who couldn't complete a stage of the TDF.....if we do then I'm screwed as I have a few cycling brands with logo's on. Or maybe those who have 1 too many beers or pies and their clothing is enhancing their investment around the midriff. They are obviously not a pro-cyclist so really get them off the road!!! (sarcasm ....just in case you hadn't guessed)

This is a very judgmental world which I sadly have been part of and I am sure I will also be in the future for things I believe strongly about, but cycling gear choice and appearance certainly isn't going to be 1 of them. We all have our preferences and we can give our views but not to criticise others and say 1 is right and the others is wrong.
As someone whose appearance changed dramatically several years ago through no fault or doing of my own I now notice glances and snide comments aimed at me from people who I don't know. I'm guessing 'most' on here wouldn't approve of that sort of behavior so why do it because someone has chosen to wear specific cycling clothing for the activity it was intended for?

I found the picture of the individual that was posted to be a little cruel. He obviously enjoys the sport and has worked hard to get his kit and bike up to a standard to enable him to compete. If he is into cycling there is a strong chance he reads this site or will stumble across it in the future. I know I would be gutted and annoyed to know that others are publicly making fun or laughing at me for the who world to see just because he has chosen to buy a specific design on cycling top and because of his appearance.

I find a lot on here are 'more holy than thou'. Opinion is good, cruelty is not!
Shame on lots of you!

Leviathan replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Look me in the face.

Is this OK?

IS IT?

REALLY?

Yes. His money, his choice.

He was probably given that kit. The problem is he is riding it with a red/yellow bike (a little sick in my mouth.) If you are going to wear different colours each day then you need a BLACK bike. So the greater sin is a shocking bike.

As we know this bloke has made a fortune out of mediocrity and should never appear on Graham Norton again.

bashthebox replied to joc | 10 years ago
0 likes
joc wrote:

I get what your saying mate, I really do.... And I too am seduced with the great colourful characters and the romanticism of the sport. But surely wiggins Winning the Tour de France last year is also something to be celebrated. To say someone is bland because they wear a team sky kit is quite something really and reeks of snobbery.

Snobbery? Abso-fucking-lutely.
That's not to say I don't rejoice for every single rider out there pushing their pedals, because whether you're doing your shopping on a creaking old mountain bike or gunning for a KOM on your local climb, riding bikes is ace.
But if you choose to berk yourself up in lycra on a carbon fibre space machine with deep rim wheels worth thousands, expect to be looked at.
Now I'm hardly the fastest person on a bike out there, and I don't get the look right all the time either - I don't shave my legs (yet!) - but I've come a long way in a few years so in a very real way, I'm laughing at myself when I see people in dodgy kit.
Most of us don't hesitate to chuckle at the mid-life crisis man in his porsche, so why not allow yourself a wry smile when someone gets it wrong on their bike?
The main thing, though, is that people are having fun. I'm happy enough for white van man to have a laugh at me in my ridiculous clothing when he drives past, I'm self aware enough to know how I look to non cyclists. What makes me happy is that I look relatively good to my ridiculous lycra clad peer group.

Municipal Waste | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think maybe you should only wear team replica kit if you have a team replica bike.

But hell, people wear wanky football team replica kit all the time and for the most part they don't even play football!

Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

The pictures of Lord Sugar show that you can neither buy taste nor style. Someone needs to have a quiet word. He really should know better.  20

Jaltham | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't wear team kit because I'm not being payed to be a moving billboard for whatever is garishly covering my clothing!

On a similar note, we had a bloke down here in the SW who won a local race in Full HTC Highroad kit.This goes against BC rules as you've got to be wearing team kit form your own team & not that of a now defunct team!

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

What's more worrying is Sir Alan's Massive saddle pack.

joc replied to Tinternet_tim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Tinternet_tim wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

Simon, I would tell him, YES, because of his socks....WTF are they about?

Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

A ridiculous answer....... Do you wear anything with a label on it? Or are you one of these new age hippy wanks who don't wear shoes so your closer to the earth

As for your "hippy wank" comment, if people don't want to wear shoes, that's up to them, who are YOU to say what's right and wrong....

Isn't this a complete Contradiction?? Judging someone in 1 post and then complaining when someone does the same?

Not sure what gives anyone the right to judge what other cyclist wear. I wouldn't personally choose to wear a team kit, but others do...fine. Maybe it is a way of living out a dream and inspiring them to achieve more? Either way each to their own.
As others have said, its not really any different of wear sports wear with logo's and brands splattered all over them. Maybe we should take the same approach for the Assos/Rapha/Castelli crowd who couldn't complete a stage of the TDF.....if we do then I'm screwed as I have a few cycling brands with logo's on. Or maybe those who have 1 too many beers or pies and their clothing is enhancing their investment around the midriff. They are obviously not a pro-cyclist so really get them off the road!!! (sarcasm ....just in case you hadn't guessed)

This is a very judgmental world which I sadly have been part of and I am sure I will also be in the future for things I believe strongly about, but cycling gear choice and appearance certainly isn't going to be 1 of them. We all have our preferences and we can give our views but not to criticise others and say 1 is right and the others is wrong.
As someone whose appearance changed dramatically several years ago through no fault or doing of my own I now notice glances and snide comments aimed at me from people who I don't know. I'm guessing 'most' on here wouldn't approve of that sort of behavior so why do it because someone has chosen to wear specific cycling clothing for the activity it was intended for?

I found the picture of the individual that was posted to be a little cruel. He obviously enjoys the sport and has worked hard to get his kit and bike up to a standard to enable him to compete. If he is into cycling there is a strong chance he reads this site or will stumble across it in the future. I know I would be gutted and annoyed to know that others are publicly making fun or laughing at me for the who world to see just because he has chosen to buy a specific design on cycling top and because of his appearance.

I find a lot on here are 'more holy than thou'. Opinion is good, cruelty is not!
Shame on lots of you!

I think if you look back on the thread you will see the quote about slagging the guys socks was not from me, and you'll probably feel quite silly.... Like I said, I'm not really into taking the piss out people because of what they wear.... That's just elitist bollocks

The Rumpo Kid | 10 years ago
0 likes

(May as well chuck in my two cents worth). Wear what you like, apart of course from jerseys that indicate the wearer has won something. You wouldn't wear an Olympic Medal or Victoria Cross unless you were entitled would you? (Well you might, but that would make you er... "wanky"?).

Gkam84 replied to joc | 10 years ago
0 likes
joc wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

Don't think you understood me..... Your rational was not to wear a sky kit because they weren't paying you. By that rationale you wouldn't wear say a Lacoste polo shirt or anything with a logo on it. My no shoes comment was an attempt at humour.... Fuck knows what matching socks has to do with what I said

I think you'll find, the person who mentioned not wearing it because you aren't being paid was Tom....

andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

'Wear what you like, apart of course from jerseys that indicate the wearer has won something. You wouldn't wear an Olympic Medal or Victoria Cross unless you were entitled would you? (Well you might, but that would make you er... "wanky"?).'

This.
Wearing 'Trophy' kit is wanky.

Team issue kit is more of a jokey-wanky thing. Because of the fat lager-swilling football fan associations.

andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

'still rate Lance's seven as fantastically exciting tours'

all credibility immediately lost. the seven most boring Tours of all time.

wifwaf | 10 years ago
0 likes

Of course it would be inapropriate for a pro rider to wear colours they hadnt earned ie. World Championship stripes.

For the rest of us, refusing to wear team colours or trophy gear because you havent 'earned' them demonstrates you are actually far more delusional than the 22 stone sportive rider resplendant in his Sky kit.

Refusing to wear this gear is an attempt to be closer to the pro-world than the people who do. Get a life and if you like the look of gear, wear it.

bashthebox replied to wifwaf | 10 years ago
0 likes

Bernard Hinault would not approve. You don't want to make the Badger angry.

The Rumpo Kid replied to wifwaf | 10 years ago
0 likes
wifwaf wrote:

Of course it would be inapropriate for a pro rider to wear colours they hadnt earned ie. World Championship stripes.

For the rest of us, refusing to wear team colours or trophy gear because you havent 'earned' them demonstrates you are actually far more delusional than the 22 stone sportive rider resplendant in his Sky kit.

Refusing to wear this gear is an attempt to be closer to the pro-world than the people who do. Get a life and if you like the look of gear, wear it.

So what would you think of a Non-Olympian who wore an Olympic Medal? That they were somehow demonstrating they were not "delusional"? No. You would rightly consider them to be a bit sad at best.

wifwaf replied to The Rumpo Kid | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wearing a medal is quite different to wearing an iconic pattern like world championship stripes on your kit. Personally I would feel a wally riding up my local climb in a polka-dot jersey, but to suggest doing so is 'wrong' just shows you're taking the issue, and probably yourself a bit too seriously.

joc replied to The Rumpo Kid | 10 years ago
0 likes
The Rumpo Kid wrote:
wifwaf wrote:

So what would you think of a Non-Olympian who wore an Olympic Medal? That they were somehow demonstrating they were not "delusional"? No. You would rightly consider them to be a bit sad at best.

Wearing a yellow Jersey is not the same as wearing an Olympic Gold metal... Are you serious. Because that's like the worse comparison ever

The Rumpo Kid replied to wifwaf | 10 years ago
0 likes
wifwaf wrote:

Wearing a medal is quite different to wearing an iconic pattern like world championship stripes on your kit.

Nope. Exactly the same. Both awarded to winners.

KirinChris | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is it naff... yes.

It's the cycling equivalent of all the Manchester United fans who live in Surrey.

Is it something that anyone should make a snarky comment about... no.

Think what you like, let them wear what they like.

The Rumpo Kid replied to joc | 10 years ago
0 likes
joc wrote:
The Rumpo Kid wrote:
wifwaf wrote:

Wearing a yellow Jersey is not the same as wearing an Olympic Gold metal... Are you serious. Because that's like the worse comparison ever

The difference being? Although an item of clothing, The Yellow Jersey, like a medal, says the wearer has achieved sonething.

Lost faith in t... | 10 years ago
1 like

if its for sale wear it, if its earned wear it. if your granny knits it wear it.

joc replied to The Rumpo Kid | 10 years ago
0 likes
The Rumpo Kid wrote:
joc wrote:
The Rumpo Kid wrote:
wifwaf wrote:

The difference being? Although an item of clothing, The Yellow Jersey, like a medal, says the wearer has achieved sonething.

I'm just not buying that.... So if you wear a brazil kit with stars next to the badge you are pretending to be a World Cup winner? It's a replica kit, not close to running about with an Olympic gold medal round your neck.... Like I said, a shite comparison

Pages

Latest Comments