Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Why is it considered wanky to wear sky kit

Apologies if the intricacies of the Scottish language is lost on you all  4
But I've noticed a few derisory comments about people wearing sky kit to sportives etc. why is it considered naff?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

161 comments

Super Domestique replied to northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

Wear what you want, it's no one's business but yours.

All that needs to be said.

Roscoemck replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:
northstar wrote:

Wear what you want, it's no one's business but yours.

All that needs to be said.

End of.

mattsccm | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you are happy with it use it. If you feel unhappy with comments growa thicker skin.
IMHO wearing team kit it "unfortunate" as you don't ride for that team. It's rude (although I suppose you could say that the kit manufacturers have given permission) P
People often link this to wearing footy strip.
Well thats equally stupid if you are not playing for the team

Argos74 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't wear Team Sky kit, but for anyone else, am undecided. There's points for and against.
Not Wanky:

Wanky:

bashthebox | 10 years ago
1 like

Simpler answer - those buying Sky kit now are the same sort who were wearing Livestrong kit a few years back.
It's the obvious choice, the choice which marks you out as someone who hasn't put much thought into what they want to project of themselves. Wear the kit because the riders you've heard of wear it.
It's not the wrong choice, but it's the bland choice.
Whatever, fine, loads of people are fine with being bland, I won't judge you too much for it.
But the history of the sport isn't bland. The great riders had panache. The great riders looked great as well as performing great feats.
I know I'll never be able to match their athleticism, but I know I can make an effort and find a jersey that makes me look how I want to perform. Socks that set off a detail on my frame. I'll do that, because Merckx did that. Fignon did that. LeMond did that.
This isn't just an excuse to huff and puff my way around a few hills.
This is so very much more. Don't dismiss it. Embrace it all.
It's not compulsory, but it's fucking great to get down into the nitty gritty.

joc replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

Simpler answer - those buying Sky kit now are the same sort who were wearing Livestrong kit a few years back.
It's the obvious choice, the choice which marks you out as someone who hasn't put much thought into what they want to project of themselves. Wear the kit because the riders you've heard of wear it.
It's not the wrong choice, but it's the bland choice.
Whatever, fine, loads of people are fine with being bland, I won't judge you too much for it.
But the history of the sport isn't bland. The great riders had panache. The great riders looked great as well as performing great feats.
I know I'll never be able to match their athleticism, but I know I can make an effort and find a jersey that makes me look how I want to perform. Socks that set off a detail on my frame. I'll do that, because Merckx did that. Fignon did that. LeMond did that.
This isn't just an excuse to huff and puff my way around a few hills.
This is so very much more. Don't dismiss it. Embrace it all.
It's not compulsory, but it's fucking great to get down into the nitty gritty.

I get what your saying mate, I really do.... And I too am seduced with the great colourful characters and the romanticism of the sport. But surely wiggins Winning the Tour de France last year is also something to be celebrated. To say someone is bland because they wear a team sky kit is quite something really and reeks of snobbery.

bashthebox replied to joc | 10 years ago
0 likes
joc wrote:

I get what your saying mate, I really do.... And I too am seduced with the great colourful characters and the romanticism of the sport. But surely wiggins Winning the Tour de France last year is also something to be celebrated. To say someone is bland because they wear a team sky kit is quite something really and reeks of snobbery.

Snobbery? Abso-fucking-lutely.
That's not to say I don't rejoice for every single rider out there pushing their pedals, because whether you're doing your shopping on a creaking old mountain bike or gunning for a KOM on your local climb, riding bikes is ace.
But if you choose to berk yourself up in lycra on a carbon fibre space machine with deep rim wheels worth thousands, expect to be looked at.
Now I'm hardly the fastest person on a bike out there, and I don't get the look right all the time either - I don't shave my legs (yet!) - but I've come a long way in a few years so in a very real way, I'm laughing at myself when I see people in dodgy kit.
Most of us don't hesitate to chuckle at the mid-life crisis man in his porsche, so why not allow yourself a wry smile when someone gets it wrong on their bike?
The main thing, though, is that people are having fun. I'm happy enough for white van man to have a laugh at me in my ridiculous clothing when he drives past, I'm self aware enough to know how I look to non cyclists. What makes me happy is that I look relatively good to my ridiculous lycra clad peer group.

badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

@Simon he looks super wanky doesn't he? Or is that the average British person?

Strathlubnaig | 10 years ago
0 likes

The only time white bar tape looks good is when the bike is sitting in the window of the LBS.

Psycling | 10 years ago
0 likes

Why not wear what you want? I agree that you shouldn't mix teams kits ie sky shirt omega shorts. And I also wouldn't wear a yellow jersey or world champs but I see no reason why you shouldn't support your favourite team. Just like football fans wear their team shirts. Cycling is a great sport and is extremely all encompassing with people of all walks of life enjoying the benefits. Lets not berate someone for wearing a sky top. We should be encouraging people to participate in something we all love and enjoy.

OldnSlo | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't wear sky, I wear planet x, Hovis and freebee trektravel jersey care of a roadcc competion win. Again, if you hate sky kit, yellow, pink, polka dot, green, rainbow or any other pro team. sell the bike and take up golf. Thats where you belong.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Simon, I would tell him, YES, because of his socks....WTF are they about?

Also, his bar tape needs replaced, if that's white....  19  19

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

This is not a pro rider. He was wearing a Sky jersey in local club '10' last night:

Would you tell him to his face that he looks wanky?

Thought not.

There was a 13 year old kid at the same event in a British Cycling skinsuit (not the first I've seen), racing a 2-up with his Dad. Is he wanky too?

Leviathan replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

This is not a pro rider. He was wearing a Sky jersey in local club '10' last night:

Would you tell him to his face that he looks wanky?

It is not the jersey that makes the guy look funny, the proportions of the bike looks like a pennyfathing. And the 80's helmet with the cap under it has to go.

It seems I have been sticking to Rule 17 very closely without knowing it. I have always had team kits but must have the matching shorts and socks and mitts and long sleeved jersey, etc. It is a very expensive hobby; but red Saeco or blue Gerolsteiner shorts get you noticed.

I seldom see anyone else on the road who is wearing anything else but a plain jersey with black short, so if you want to be anonymous good for you. I too don't like the mahoosive Sky logo on the kit, but if I saw someone in matching Sky kit I would at least know they think they look fly in their kit and I am all for that.

A wise man once said 'Collars and cuffs; they've gotta match, gotta match.'

Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

Are Sky paying you to wear their team kit? If not, why wear it?

joc replied to Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

A ridiculous answer....... Do you wear anything with a label on it? Or are you one of these new age hippy wanks who don't wear shoes so your closer to the earth

Gkam84 replied to joc | 10 years ago
0 likes
joc wrote:

A ridiculous answer....... Do you wear anything with a label on it? Or are you one of these new age hippy wanks who don't wear shoes so your closer to the earth

How was it ridiculous? WHITE socks and BLACK shoes....really??

I wear socks, sometimes white ones, but that's because I have white shoes.....

As for your "hippy wank" comment, if people don't want to wear shoes, that's up to them, who are YOU to say what's right and wrong....

joc replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

As for your "hippy wank" comment, if people don't want to wear shoes, that's up to them, who are YOU to say what's right and wrong....

Don't think you understood me..... Your rational was not to wear a sky kit because they weren't paying you. By that rationale you wouldn't wear say a Lacoste polo shirt or anything with a logo on it. My no shoes comment was an attempt at humour.... Fuck knows what matching socks has to do with what I said

Gkam84 replied to joc | 10 years ago
0 likes
joc wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

Don't think you understood me..... Your rational was not to wear a sky kit because they weren't paying you. By that rationale you wouldn't wear say a Lacoste polo shirt or anything with a logo on it. My no shoes comment was an attempt at humour.... Fuck knows what matching socks has to do with what I said

I think you'll find, the person who mentioned not wearing it because you aren't being paid was Tom....

Tinternet_tim replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

Isn't this a complete Contradiction?? Judging someone in 1 post and then complaining when someone does the same?

Not sure what gives anyone the right to judge what other cyclist wear. I wouldn't personally choose to wear a team kit, but others do...fine. Maybe it is a way of living out a dream and inspiring them to achieve more? Either way each to their own.
As others have said, its not really any different of wear sports wear with logo's and brands splattered all over them. Maybe we should take the same approach for the Assos/Rapha/Castelli crowd who couldn't complete a stage of the TDF.....if we do then I'm screwed as I have a few cycling brands with logo's on. Or maybe those who have 1 too many beers or pies and their clothing is enhancing their investment around the midriff. They are obviously not a pro-cyclist so really get them off the road!!! (sarcasm ....just in case you hadn't guessed)

This is a very judgmental world which I sadly have been part of and I am sure I will also be in the future for things I believe strongly about, but cycling gear choice and appearance certainly isn't going to be 1 of them. We all have our preferences and we can give our views but not to criticise others and say 1 is right and the others is wrong.
As someone whose appearance changed dramatically several years ago through no fault or doing of my own I now notice glances and snide comments aimed at me from people who I don't know. I'm guessing 'most' on here wouldn't approve of that sort of behavior so why do it because someone has chosen to wear specific cycling clothing for the activity it was intended for?

I found the picture of the individual that was posted to be a little cruel. He obviously enjoys the sport and has worked hard to get his kit and bike up to a standard to enable him to compete. If he is into cycling there is a strong chance he reads this site or will stumble across it in the future. I know I would be gutted and annoyed to know that others are publicly making fun or laughing at me for the who world to see just because he has chosen to buy a specific design on cycling top and because of his appearance.

I find a lot on here are 'more holy than thou'. Opinion is good, cruelty is not!
Shame on lots of you!

joc replied to Tinternet_tim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Tinternet_tim wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

Isn't this a complete Contradiction?? Judging someone in 1 post and then complaining when someone does the same?

Not sure what gives anyone the right to judge what other cyclist wear. I wouldn't personally choose to wear a team kit, but others do...fine. Maybe it is a way of living out a dream and inspiring them to achieve more? Either way each to their own.
As others have said, its not really any different of wear sports wear with logo's and brands splattered all over them. Maybe we should take the same approach for the Assos/Rapha/Castelli crowd who couldn't complete a stage of the TDF.....if we do then I'm screwed as I have a few cycling brands with logo's on. Or maybe those who have 1 too many beers or pies and their clothing is enhancing their investment around the midriff. They are obviously not a pro-cyclist so really get them off the road!!! (sarcasm ....just in case you hadn't guessed)

This is a very judgmental world which I sadly have been part of and I am sure I will also be in the future for things I believe strongly about, but cycling gear choice and appearance certainly isn't going to be 1 of them. We all have our preferences and we can give our views but not to criticise others and say 1 is right and the others is wrong.
As someone whose appearance changed dramatically several years ago through no fault or doing of my own I now notice glances and snide comments aimed at me from people who I don't know. I'm guessing 'most' on here wouldn't approve of that sort of behavior so why do it because someone has chosen to wear specific cycling clothing for the activity it was intended for?

I found the picture of the individual that was posted to be a little cruel. He obviously enjoys the sport and has worked hard to get his kit and bike up to a standard to enable him to compete. If he is into cycling there is a strong chance he reads this site or will stumble across it in the future. I know I would be gutted and annoyed to know that others are publicly making fun or laughing at me for the who world to see just because he has chosen to buy a specific design on cycling top and because of his appearance.

I find a lot on here are 'more holy than thou'. Opinion is good, cruelty is not!
Shame on lots of you!

I think if you look back on the thread you will see the quote about slagging the guys socks was not from me, and you'll probably feel quite silly.... Like I said, I'm not really into taking the piss out people because of what they wear.... That's just elitist bollocks

dino replied to Tinternet_tim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nice bike! ha... just ride and enjoy it. I hope i live long enough to ride like the old dude in the Garmin kit so i can be uncool too. That old man rocks!

New rule #1: all velominati followers are douchebags.

cheers!

Ian P replied to Tinternet_tim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Shame on lots of you![/quote]

Exactly what I thought on reading this thread.

I hope it was his first 10 and he did a 22:00, discovered he had a massive talent for TTing, went on to win a national title, then turned up at his next club 10 deliberately looking as wanky as possible and put three minutes into the second placed rider, then rode home into the sunset laughing to himself without bothering to check the result board.

OldnSlo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Screw it. Wear yellow, pink, polka dots, green, sky or Rainbow. But please honor the jersey with your sweat and graft because the true winners had to work for it. Sites like velominati are complete bollocks. The authors should take up golf instead. Instead educate people, bring in new riders. Share it, don't add barriers to entry.

Camy | 10 years ago
0 likes

They would have a fit if I turned up, I'm still using my shimano stormtrooper mtb shoes, mtb spd's and a giro hex with shock horror, a peak!

Only had my road bike 4 weeks, really enjoying it and couldn't give a toss if I'm not conforming.

Strathlubnaig | 10 years ago
0 likes

As for The Rules... well it is a very toungue in cheek site, and a lot of folks out there do seem to take what they say to heart and get offended. Chill people, it's not worth getting wound up about it.

Steveal | 10 years ago
0 likes

I personally wouldn't wear it, but thats more to do with Sky and News International... I won't have The Sun in the house!  26 Wear exactly what you want to wear. The fashion snobs maybe having a bit of a laugh with the rules, but it goes too far if it makes people feel self conscious or somehow not "proper". I did see a bloke wearing a green and yellow superman outfit complete with cape this week though... would I be a hypocrite if I said maye that was a bit much? I had to do a double take.  4

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is it ok if you ride a team bike?  3

Gkam84 replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

Is it ok if you ride a team bike?  3

Only if you have the riders kit to go with it  3

Super Domestique replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
Super Domestique wrote: