Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Why is it considered wanky to wear sky kit

Apologies if the intricacies of the Scottish language is lost on you all  4
But I've noticed a few derisory comments about people wearing sky kit to sportives etc. why is it considered naff?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

161 comments

Strathlubnaig | 10 years ago
0 likes

One theory is that Team Sky is a fairly recent addition to the pro peloton, with a lot of very good riders bought up in a short time, and some degree of success etc, and seen as very much a British team (although many riders are not). They have arrived late to the party with a big cheque book and are seen as a kind of Man Utd type team. Many folk therefore see all the Sky kit wearers as sort of also late to the party jump on the bandwagon cyclists with no prior interest (be that true or not)and little knowledge of the history etc.
This is just one explanation of which I have heard, so dont shoot me down.
I personally draw the line at those guys I have seen sporting World Champion jerseys though. That is naff.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I personally HATE the sky kit, but its not for me to tell anyone else what to wear.

I was on a sportive in March, I was the only recumbent and got some hell of a funny looks, then some smart arse comments as people past me on a climb, in their "pro" kit's and I just laughed to myself as I pasted them on a downhill and slid myself round the corners.

I enjoyed myself, that's the whole point, its not what you wear or what you ride. Its about enjoyment.

BUT, turning up in FULL kit, makes you a bit wanky in my book, team jersey's are ok, but when you turn up in team jersey, shorts, gloves, cap, socks, matching shoes and helmet. If you are not riding a team bike, expect to get some shitty comments  3

Simon_MacMichael replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

If you are not riding a team bike, expect to get some shitty comments  3

And if you *are* riding a team bike in team kit, you'd better be dropping people on the climbs  3

TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes

People who wear it aren't wanky anymore than people who consider it naff are tossers.

Simon E replied to TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter wrote:

People who wear it aren't wanky anymore than people who consider it naff are tossers.

If someone thinks it's naff that's one thing.

If he tries telling me what to wear while on a bike he's undoubtedly a tosser.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's only considered naff by sad tossers who often quote silly made-up 'rules'.

There's only one rule: Wear exactly what you want to. And while you're doing it why not stick a finger (or two) up at the morons.

herlihy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Pjay's comment just being typical...

herlihy | 10 years ago
1 like

Because out of several hundred riders who may be riding a sportive there will be a small number of wanky riders who feel they are protecting some code that signifies only them to be proper riders. Last year I did a major sportive where because my summer bike was being repaired I rode a bike with mudguards. I got a number of snarky comments for doing so.

It is all part of a crappy culture where it is 'knowing' and 'cool' to quote 'the rules' and dismiss 'newbies' . Thankfully it becoming more rare but you will still see evidence amongst some dullards who comment on cycling websites.

Just ride what you want ,wearing what you want . The only rule should be 'just ride'

pjay | 10 years ago
1 like

Isn't all team kit naff? Unless you're a pro.

alsothings replied to pjay | 10 years ago
0 likes
Mad1000 replied to pjay | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't think what you wear matters as long as you're comfortable.

Personally, I wear baggies and a loose jersey or a t-shirt.

If you like to wear team kit, wear it. If you're comfortable in bin bags, wear them....

Pages

Latest Comments