Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Why is it considered wanky to wear sky kit

Apologies if the intricacies of the Scottish language is lost on you all  4
But I've noticed a few derisory comments about people wearing sky kit to sportives etc. why is it considered naff?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

161 comments

HarryTrauts | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's amazing how angry some people get about what to wear on a bike! I'm certainly with the "wear what you want" camp.

Personally, I have a stash of vintage cycling gear that I've bought over the years, some 20 years plus. Remember Tulip? Full kit and I still fit into it. That's what keeps me going. That and my love for actually cycling.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Necro!

Was searching for team bottles and people's opinions on them and found this thread. Very entertaining.

Anyone has team bottles on their bike?

thebungle replied to CapriciousZephyr | 10 years ago
0 likes
CapriciousZephyr wrote:

And I, too, really liked the ONCE logo; I even have a quick look on the 'bay every now and then to see if one of their jerseys is available, to make a change from my old Telekom one.

For you my friend, one hundred pounds!

joc replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

Ah yes, that nasty Mr. Murdoch,

Owner of that company investing millions into British cycling at amateur (Olympic) level

Owner of the company sponsoring the team who gave us our first British TDF winner,

Owner of the paper running a prominent cycling campaign

Owner of the company sponsoring the sports youth trust

The world's not black and white, folks!  13 let's not forget the above when we jump on the anti-Murdoch band wagon. I seek to redress the balance here in a cycling context and I'm not saying he and his organisation are saints.

Bingo

joc replied to tomisitt | 10 years ago
0 likes
tomisitt wrote:

Hmmm...how much interest did The Times take in cycling BEFORE one of their staff was seriously injured in a bike accident?

Sky's sponsorship of cycling started AFTER British Cycling started winning medals and gaining global plaudits. Businesses provide sponsorship for very oblivious reasons, not because they have any particular love of the sport.

If Sky was genuinely interested in cycling, it wouldn't be the Johnny-come-lately of the sport, throwing its money around like a middle-eastern Sheik with a football club. And we would have seen cycling on Sky Sports before 2010.

And then there's Murdoch himself, and his hateful media empire, bribing, lying, libelling, hacking, objectifying women, etc etc. If you think throwing a few coins into cycling's begging bowl is somehow mitigation for the appalling behaviour of Murdoch and his minions over many decades, then by all means wear Sky kit. But it's not something I would consider.

I couldn't give a toss about the reasons behind it but you are extremely naive if you don't think that sky have had a massive effect on British cycling... And I find your smug Johnny come lately comment extremely arrogant. So what I've you've been into cycling for years. What's your contribution to the sport we love?

joc replied to tomisitt | 10 years ago
0 likes
tomisitt wrote:

Undoubtedly Sky's sponsorship has been very beneficial to British cycling, encouraging more people to get onto bikes. But don't think for one second that their sponsorship is based on anything other than sound financial reasoning.

BTW, Sky's zero-tolerance didn't stop them employing Geert Leinders, so I think we should be careful before getting too sanctimonious.

My Johnny-come-lately observation was meant to illustrate that Sky has no historic love of cycling; they identified sport where they could get maximum exposure, threw relatively large amounts of money at an expensively assembled team, and have done very well out of it.

I'm happy that Wiggins won the Tour, even if it was uncomfortably remiscent of US Postal (and about as exciting), and I'm delighted to see Brits doing well in the peleton. It's a shame Sky don't have a women's team. Presumably because it doesn't get the sort of media coverage that warrants that sort of investment.

Ultimately, in my view Murdoch and his corporations are morally bankrupt, and that's why I'd never wear the kit. If other people want to, that's entirely their business.

I think you'll find most sponsors of pro teams are based on sound financial reasoning

700c replied to Philsopinion | 10 years ago
0 likes
Philsopinion wrote:

I have to say reading all this rubbish about team kit is almost enough to put a new cyclist off even bothering to get out and ride. I've recently returned to riding and as I need a jersey just happen to like and have bought some of the pro team kit. I don't hurtle past people thinking I'm in some way superior, I certainly don't make snide comments as I'm in no position to and just because I have some team kit I don't profess to be any kind of expert. So books and covers springs to mind.

For all those people passing comment, how about we all concentrate on riding (and getting others to), rather than worrying our tiny minds about what is allegedly naff and what isn't .

Wear what you want, when you want and enjoy the experience!

Majority of posts on this thread actually say exactly this, so I'm not sure where you are coming from with 'all this rubbish'. If this is representative of wider road cycling opinion then rest assured you are unlikely to be judged by very many, whatever you wear.

As for Rolland's polka dot shorts, agreed, they were bad, like some children's pajamas or something! At least he won't have to worry about that after yesterday's stage! (unless he's still wearing by default as the yellow's technically leading KOM,.not sure).

Leviathan replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

People will be saying it's ok to wear Pierre Rolland's polka dot shorts next...  3

That would be fab! Why not, awesome.

Seriously, I can't believe this thread has come back again. Whoops/bump.

tired old fart replied to pants | 10 years ago
0 likes
pants wrote:

People should just wear whatever they want, personally I'd rather be someone good in crap gear and a crap bike than the other way round.

none of the gear all of the idea! Ha Ha  4

pants replied to tired old fart | 10 years ago
0 likes
tired old fart wrote:
pants wrote:

People should just wear whatever they want, personally I'd rather be someone good in crap gear and a crap bike than the other way round.

none of the gear all of the idea! Ha Ha  4

also if you are actually crap you can blame the bike!

Lost faith in t... | 10 years ago
1 like

if its for sale wear it, if its earned wear it. if your granny knits it wear it.

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wear a Columbia Jersey as it helps me climb better. I'm sure of it. Put it this way it can't make me any worse. And I'm not even Columbian.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

One of my favourite memories from my first sportive was the sight of a, ahem, generously proportioned gentleman doubled over at the side of the road a little way up the big climb, chest heaving, eyes bulging.
On his back was the polka dot jersey.

BBB | 10 years ago
0 likes

A road is like a catwalk.
If you're secure, confident and have the right body and moves, you can get away with wearing anything.

Are you? Do you?

Dr. Ko | 10 years ago
0 likes

It is not wanky to wear a Sky jersey if You...
...want to commit a crime, everybody will remember the Sky jersey as they have seen such an item before, but you are not only one wearing one making life very difficult for Metropolitean police  13
(This is based on the theory that humans tend to remember only a limited number of visual impacts, preferable items they have seen before and can relate to.)

- My second coice of disguse:
http://innercitymobility.blogspot.de/2013/04/london-fashion-visibility-i... - the Gore one.

And now pardon me I have a bank "appointment"  19
http://innercitymobility.blogspot.de/2013/04/london-carradice-money-carr...

wifwaf | 10 years ago
0 likes

@The Rumpo Kid:

Sorry, I think I got a bit carried away there, im sure you arent elitist and I understand your view. I do have to admit that I would feel very self-conscious about wearing a polka-dot jersey, as it would in my mind be akin to making a statement about my climbing abilities, but wearing a pair of prendas armwarmers with the World Champion stripes on wouldnt bother me a jot.

I live in leafy Cheshire and I see a lot of riders out in full rapha gear, I cant help the feeling that they are trying just as hard to fit in with a stereotype as the man in the Wiggins kit.

stepho | 10 years ago
0 likes

WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT ANYONE IS WEARING ON THEIR BIKE.

Please people.
my 5 year old son wears a Valentino Rossi Moto GP champion hat, should i tell him he can't wear it because he never earned it? give me strength.  14

edster99 | 10 years ago
0 likes

What's with the aversion to Rapha kit? Is it because of the Rapha Condor team, or something I that has 100% passed me by?

Charlie96 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Does no one ride in their club colours? Looks way better than anything you'll buy in a shop!

stepho | 10 years ago
0 likes

Interesting debate this.

How does everyone feel about middle aged men wearing replica football shirts with their own name on the back (not while playing football but going about their daily business)

Well i think they look like fanny's and im not afraid to say it.  4

Kapelmuur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Confused newbie here, I thought 'the rules' were a joke - they amuse me anyway - but it appears that some folk take them seriously, have I got it wrong?

BTW, is there a national champion jersey in light blue with a tri colour band around the chest? If so I saw a champ near Knutsford this morning.

joebee9870 | 10 years ago
0 likes

a tool is a tool no matter what they wear.........

mwilford | 10 years ago
0 likes

we should be proud of our countrys' achievements, just the same as someone would wear a football shirt to play football in. It's even better after those snyde comments when you go faster than them.

Fixie Girl | 10 years ago
0 likes

Its fine just so long as they are wearing the scarf and waving one of the supporters flags or wearing any one of the Sky Branded kit marketed by Rapha #laughingallthewaytothebank

Love Rapha, hate Sky

Percespb | 10 years ago
0 likes

In 2012 I bought my 3rd pro team jersey in 30 years. The first was a soviet team item, the second a Motorola blue and red top, the third is the black and green Sky rainforest thingy.
The USSR is no longer, Armstrong disgraced himself so that just leaves Sky to cock up.

I think if you can buy it, can afford it, then wear it.
I did have a chortle to myself when I passed a guy in a polka dot jersey grovelling up a hill. I'm no mountain goat.

themartincox | 10 years ago
0 likes

When they make a pro kit in sport wool to cover up the results of too much custard and cake then i might think about it - until then, I will wear comfy stuff and just wish I could look as good as the pros do in their kits

paulfg42 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't have any team kit but I do have a rainbow jersey and I like wearing it. ICGAF about anyone who thinks that is naff or wanky.

Liam Cahill | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wear any team kit you like, but not a rainbow one....please! This makes you a bit of a douche full stop.

And for those of you that will be going to Bourg d'Oisans and the surrounding area at the time of the TDF, be warned. If you are spotted my me or my mates in a polka-dot jersey, we will attack you, reach the top, descend back to where you are, then do it all again just for kicks! But as we go past, prepare to still hear encouragement from each and every one of us, because being a cyclist is hard enough without other cyclists abusing you on the road. We all do it mentally.

surfer35 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Aaaaaaargh..... Get a bloody grip. Go cycle, enjoy yourself.

Cooks | 10 years ago
0 likes

Maybe you're proud of your nation's olympic achievements? Hence my olympic GB jersey?

Pages

Latest Comments