Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cassette help please!

Hi all, I'm new around here so hello - and go easy on me!

I've got some events lined up for when summer arrives, namely the Dartmoor Classic and Etape du Tour and hills are not my forte (strange choice of events given my weaknesses, but they're the ones we're meant to target right!?). I have a compact chainset and 11-28 cassette. My question is how bigger cassette (sprocket) can I squeeze in on my 105 (5700 short cage) rear mech? Was wondering specifically if a 11-32 would fit and whether the real world gains would be significant?

Any help appreciated,

Kev

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

65 comments

Royal1664 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Would it be possible to take the 12t of a 12-30 cassette and replace it with an 11t so you would have a fast 11-30 cassette that could climb??

Yorky-M replied to Royal1664 | 9 years ago
0 likes

it is no problem, as long as the 11 is a lock ring. and 11 can jump up to a 13 (second) sprocket with ease. Sram have an amazing 10T on the market.

But are you really going that fast that a 12 isn't enough?
East Germans worked out in the 1990 that 107revs per min was the most efficient. Most modern coaches studding effort vs HR land in the 95-100 range. I can only manage a 90 ave- but 52 by 13 (103 inches) at 100 cadence is kicking above 35mph.

5th | 9 years ago
0 likes

As far as gearing goes, run whatever you want that enables you to do the riding you enjoy. My mate runs either a double or triple depending on where he's riding and at least an 11-28 cassette, sometimes bigger; but he'll freely admit to being short, fat and unfit. I run compact and 12-25 (commuting) or 11-23 (racing) and can get up any hill up including 1:3s where I'm chewing on the bar tape, but what works for me would never work for my mate.

As far as the whole 53/39 thing goes, few need bother. I can hit 80kmh+ on 50-12 or 50-11; at that speed your legs are a blur and 53-11 will make little difference. The bonus is that compact and a smaller cassette is both lighter and will give you closer ratios to avoid annoying cadence jumps, both of which matter to me. Why spend £££s on weight weenie bits when you can replace the stuff that wears out with something lighter for the same price?

birzzles | 9 years ago
0 likes

2 points.

1. 52/36 1 speed with 11-32 sees to cover all bases.

2. a 53/39/30 triple is the same as a standard chainset with the addition of a 30t ring if you need it.

SPIKE718 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I "being of a certain age beyond 70" have ordered a 12-30 Ultegra chainset to replace my existing 11-28. My thinking is that it's a relatively cheap way to give me an easier ride up the local hills and it will (hopefully) be a simple exchange. Again, hopefully, I won't have to go down the road of a replacing the rear mech from the existing 6770.
Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences in this regard.

I have since made the change. A very simple swap out. Works very well indeed and the DI2 handles everything.

Pages

Latest Comments