Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cassette help please!

Hi all, I'm new around here so hello - and go easy on me!

I've got some events lined up for when summer arrives, namely the Dartmoor Classic and Etape du Tour and hills are not my forte (strange choice of events given my weaknesses, but they're the ones we're meant to target right!?). I have a compact chainset and 11-28 cassette. My question is how bigger cassette (sprocket) can I squeeze in on my 105 (5700 short cage) rear mech? Was wondering specifically if a 11-32 would fit and whether the real world gains would be significant?

Any help appreciated,

Kev

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

65 comments

chiv30 replied to big mick | 10 years ago
1 like
big mick wrote:
dreamlx10 wrote:

I would say if you can't get up any of the hills with a 34/28 then don't bother going you either need to lose a lot of weight or get fitter.

So true

It isn't true at all , as the op said his fitness and weight aren't an issue he just wants to make his hill climbing easier .... It's no wonder people stick to mtbs with attitudes like this  13

edster99 replied to chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:
big mick wrote:
dreamlx10 wrote:

I would say if you can't get up any of the hills with a 34/28 then don't bother going you either need to lose a lot of weight or get fitter.

So true

It isn't true at all , as the op said his fitness and weight aren't an issue he just wants to make his hill climbing easier .... It's no wonder people stick to mtbs with attitudes like this  13

OK so to put my cards on the table : I have had a bike with a triple up until recently. I've got a compact now - 34 / 25 min gear. The lower the gear, the faster you need to spin to go fast enough to not fall off sideways. A bit more strength allows you to push a slightly bigger gear at a sensible cadence. That's my roundabout way of saying - go for it on a really low gear, but over time if you get stronger you hopefully wont need it any more!

And if you only use the biggest sprockets on the small ring, and the smallest sprockets on the big ring, and don't cross over too much, you can probably get away with a short mech. That requires some 'gear discipline'  1

the_mikey | 10 years ago
0 likes

Maybe swap the existing derailleur for a new 10 speed tiagra derailleur and a 11-32 cassette?

Tiagra 4601 is the GS version that will handle 11-32.

This may affect the required chain length, so you'll need a new chain to go with that too.

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

As far as I understand, you are on the limit with a short mech and your current compact and 11-28
If you want to go larger you will need to change to another rear mech,

A 9 speed Shimano deore will work and allow you to go to a 32 rear if needed

Pages

Latest Comments