Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Puncture Proof Tyres for 100kg Rider

I commute on average 120-150 miles a week, and seem to have puntctures about once every fortnight!!

So far the tyres i've tried and failed with are: Maxxis Re-fuse 700x23 and 25, Fortezza Tri-Comp 700x23, Gatorskins 700 x 25.

I am currently using the Schwalbe Durano Plus on the rear wheel and have ordered another for the front. But just wanted to see what are other heavy-set riders were running on their bikes.

Thanks

Bobby

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

hotweathercyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

95-100kg up and down. GP4000 run them hard. never had any problems except the odd metal shard here and there.

Gero | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gatorskins x23 for me. 120 miles a week on country roads and gravel/hardcore canal towpath.
I wear a pair out in a year without a single puncture. Luck?

bobbyd23 replied to Gero | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks just ordered a durano plus for the front wheel. So we'll see how it goes, picked up some foss inner tubes as well as there are supposed to be puncture resistant...we'll see....

Hopefully I won't have to make a tyre purchase for a few 1000k!

jtatehome | 10 years ago
0 likes

Durano Plus or Armadillos. Had loads of problems with Gatorskins and they are very sketchy in the wet. + 1 on checking pressure every day.

PJ McNally | 10 years ago
0 likes

Get some 28mm! Minimum!

Seriously though, I'm sub-70kg and I commute on 35mm.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm not heavy set but Conti 4 Seasons are very good for punture resistance.

Do you check your tyres every week for bits of glass and flint and pick them out? Do you pump them up to close to the max recommended pressure every week? It's a good way to keep punctures to a minimum in London.

TheHatter replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes
Bedfordshire Clanger wrote:

Do you pump them up to close to the max recommended pressure every week? It's a good way to keep punctures to a minimum in London.

+1 you shouldn't be getting that many punctures with the tyres you mentioned. I'm not heavy but with full panniers I can go 2-3000 miles between punctures with gatorskins or duranos.

Tom Amos replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes
Bedfordshire Clanger wrote:

I'm not heavy set but Conti 4 Seasons are very good for punture resistance.

Do you check your tyres every week for bits of glass and flint and pick them out? Do you pump them up to close to the max recommended pressure every week? It's a good way to keep punctures to a minimum in London.

+1

Conti 4 seasons are supposed to be bulletproof. I use the GP 4000's. That's what came on the bike. If replacing, I would consider swapping over.

bike_food | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Specialized Armadillos, used 23 and 28mm versions on many bikes for years.
I briefly tried Vittoria Rubinos for the first time last winter and while they wore well I found the compound to be very hard and lethal in the wet, I even had the back end sliding out when riding in a straight line.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 for bontrager hardcase, I use these as my winter tyre in 25c And they're cheap..

Roll very nicely despite the extra weight over more fragile tyres.

I was 16 stone when I started, using them with no probs

stubrant | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm a similar weight to you - actually, ahem, a bit heavier. I commute into crappy London roads every day - 50KM round trip. For the past 3 months I have used a Specialized armadillo (700x25) on the back and a bontrager hardcase race lite (700x23) on the front. So far no punctures in 3 months and without jinxing it this is the longest i have gone without a puncture. I normally have problems with my back tyre so I highly rate the Armadillo. I put the bontrager on the front because its a bit cheaper (i think i bought it online for £13.99) but I do rate them - I used to have them on back and front and I think they are better than Gatorskins. I read somewhere that for heavier riders its best to have a 700x25 on the back. The only thing I would say is that as soon as you start getting lots of little slits in the tyre then its time to get a new one. Never used any other tyres so can't comment - hope this helps.

homercles | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm around 95kg and use Durano front/ Durano Plus rear on my commute bike for central London - no problems.

nellybuck@msn.com | 10 years ago
0 likes

I just came on to say Vittoria Rubinos, only to see that andy had beaten me to it. Currently about 92kg and I haven't had a puncture for at least a year on my commuting bike.
I'm well aware that I'll probably get half a dozen next week now that I've said that, but it's a price I'll pay to give you advice!

andylul | 10 years ago
0 likes

Vittoria Rubinos - 4000km and only 1 pinch flat (currently 95kg - have lost weight)

Latest Comments