Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Should I upgrade my wheels

I've just bought a trek madone 4.5, collecting on Monday.

It comes with bontrager race wheels. Would it benefit from a wheel upgrade to mavic ksyrium elites or are they a similar standard to the stock wheels?

I like how the ksyriums look and I've got the cash from selling my mountain bike but maybe I'm just getting carried away....any thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

averagecyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice - I'll stick with the bontragers and bank the cash for a change!

Excited for Monday now  4

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

My LBS reckons the stock wheels with that bike are equivalent to elites anyway. Buy a garmin and a raceware mount, nice pedals/shoes etc.

arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you swap out the wheel now, you won't have a benchmark to judge any future upgrade against. As 700cc says, ride them in and only if you feel that they are holding you back in the future should you upgrade. I think you should ride them until they are like Pringles then go for some Ksyrium Elites or SLRs.

Ashleyhoaken | 10 years ago
0 likes

if you're happy with the bontragers there is no reason to change, there is not enough differance between the two to justify changing

700c replied to Ashleyhoaken | 10 years ago
0 likes
Ashleyhoaken wrote:

if you're happy with the bontragers there is no reason to change, there is not enough differance between the two to justify changing

+1, you'd need to spend significantly more to warrant an upgrade as the difference is likely to be minimal between these two sets, so for time being, see how you like them, upgrade tyres first, if you still have the itch, try out some carbon wheels, then splash the cash!

Sadly Biggins | 10 years ago
0 likes

Personally I'd stick with the wheels which come with the bike and get used to riding it and how it handles first. Save the cash for the time being.

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

Read this thread: http://road.cc/content/forum/82081-have-you-wasted-money-super-light-new...

Better off buying some nice tyres

Latest Comments