Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Project BIKE - Road.cc Challenge

Right, I am looking for 3-5 other longer term users. Some of the trusted members around here to a little project.

It won't take alot of your time and could prove a valuable tool in the future to direct new users who come here with the "I've got X amount to spend" "what should I buy"

So that being said, who's up for a little challenge. It WONT involve buying anything, just virtual buying from anywhere on the tinterweb.

Here's what I was thinking, I would like to get a few others on board, we can swap ideas for "rules" via email and then work from there.

The idea being, to show people that a decent spec bike can be had at a budget price.

Gkam84 wrote:

I think a Road.cc gadget show challenge on the cards.....

You know where they try and get the best items for X amount of cash.....Obviously we are not going out and buying the items.

Lets just say £300....A week and see what you can find?

SO look on ebay for finished auctions or ones that are finishing soon or ANY online retailer (factoring in postage price aswell), remember and save the links, because I will need proof.

This is about BUILDING a bike, not just buying one, so you'll need a frame, wheels, groupo and handlebars. Don't worry about cables and a saddle....Who's in?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm in.

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

Easy:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/cannondale-caad-5-road-bike-carbon-for...

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/specialized-allez-double-2012-mint/101...

Bit o haggling and I reckon 350 and 300

Oh and if you want to build it just take it to pieces regrease and put it back together again ;x

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

1. This isn't about teaching new cyclists any lessons OR telling them where to buy their bikes and parts. NOR buying parts and then expecting their LBS to build it for them.

This is about showing what can be done on a strict budget, there have been a few new posters here asking about bikes on a budget, so I thought I'd try and show an alternative way for it to be done.

2. Yes, Road.cc does publish suggestions and reviews, many of them are higher end, but they also recommend cheaper ones, NOTHING on this sort of budget restraint though.

3. Many new posters here have been MTB'rs and coming here for information on getting into road bikes. So they may well have a bit of knowledge.

Tools, for building a bike from scratch, you are not talking many tools that people or their friends might not have around, screw drivers, allen keys and simple things like that. OK, not everyone is going to have a chain whip, cassette tool and a BB tool. BUT that's an issue for another thread.

Its not about stock bikes not having the best parts and having to upgrade, its a simple exercise/challenge that I am suggesting for a few of us to try WITHOUT buying anything, to see what kind of things we can come up with on a budget.

badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

I know I'm not a senior member but I feel the need to speak up.

1. You're not teaching new cyclists the right lesson if you tell them to look at eBay. Isn't being a true cyclist about supporting the LBS? Definitely not bringing a bunch of parts to the LBS and saying "can you build my bike?"

2. Doesn't road.cc publish a suggestion of their top rated bikes at a variety of price ranges?

3. Building off one, how many cyclists just entering the sport are able to build their own bike and have the necessary tools?

I totally get that stock bikes may not have the best options (parts) for a top end bike, I recently called it quits with my Synapse and am building a CAAD10 rather than upgrade a part at a time.

farrell replied to badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes
badkneestom wrote:

1. You're not teaching new cyclists the right lesson if you tell them to look at eBay.

We can include cycle jumbles too.

badkneestom wrote:

Isn't being a true cyclist about supporting the LBS? Definitely not bringing a bunch of parts to the LBS and saying "can you build my bike?"

Firstly, I have no idea what a "True Cyclist" is, secondly, I'm bored of this mythical status LBS have, you know what? Some people in bike shops are dicks. Complete dicks.

Sure if you have one that's a good guy then brilliant, but lets not pretend that they are all brilliant.

I'd much rather go to Decathlon that many of the smaller, independents because the bike lads in there are clued up and willing to help.

Latest Comments