Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New to Cycling - HELP!!!

I am looking at starting cycling and dont really know what to look for. My budget is about £200 max and I want a road bike to do the Coast 2 Coast. I was looking at the Woodworm White Lightning Road Racing Bike.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009OZXAS6/ref=mw_dp_mpd?pd=1

Is this a decent bike to start with? Is it a good price for what it is?
I have looked at the spec but dont have a clue what to look for so would appreciate some help and advice. Or any other recommendations.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just a word of caution re: the above post from Ashleyhoaken. He's right about not seeing the front hub being a good gauge but you shouldn't move your saddle to compensate. The important relationship is saddle to bottom bracket (where the pedals join the frame). This is determined by the position of your knee which should be over the axle of the pedal when at the 9 o'clock position. Changing the angle of the stem (by flipping it)or getting a longer or shorter one will achieve this.

As for the bike, keep watching the classifieds on here and singletrackworld/bikeradar etc.

Good luck!

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ok, knowing that you are 6.4 I would suggest NOT buying the one you originally posted.

The taller you are, the more important it is that you get the RIGHT sized frame for you, else you are going to end up with back, neck, arm and leg pain from having the wrong sized frame.

You need to get along to a local bike shop and have a ride on some of their frames. find out the roughly the size you need.

Normally I would suggest going for a bike fit, but on such a limited budget, there is no point.

Ashleyhoaken | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi simleasa,

a couple of key factor are when you are buying a road bike

1.That you do not want to feel stretched on the hoods on you bike or a long reach to the hood (The frame is to big or stem is to long)
2.If you have a right feeling bike, think about where your hands are mostly likely to be , than drop your head into the provision you will be riding, if you can see the front spindle (Hub)try a diffen size

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

No worries - thought I'd mention it!

BTW - thanks Keith for the link  3

Simlesa | 10 years ago
0 likes

Lovely bike! But i am 6"4' so would need size L. The frame is too small

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Its here Simlesa

http://road.cc/content/forum/82290-fs-carrera-tdf-barely-used-size-m-now...

If its your size, take it, because for that price, you'll get nothing better and its suited perfect for what you need  3

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

You'll get a much better bike if you go second hand. Well worth a go if you know what you're looking for and can do some basic maintenance.

Simlesa | 10 years ago
0 likes

How much are you selling it for??

0 likes

Sorry.
Duplicate post.

0 likes

What size are you after?
I have a nearly new Carrera TdF for sale in the classifieds.

Simlesa | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cheers. I have been told to try and get something with a little higher price but i just cant afford it and thats why i was looking at this one.

0 likes

Simlease,
There will be a post in a couple of minutes about this topic, it contains a link to help you under spec, due to spam that the forum receives, modatrits are reviewing my post

0 likes

It is not bad road bike in the cheap market end, but I would recommend if looiking for new bikes I would try and move a bit more money up to the £300 mark
My picks would be
Decathlon triban
Dawes giro
I have seen this road bike for £299 the Carrera TDF.
second hand road bikes on ebay can find some gems of old raceing bikes.
for help, to what to look for in a road bike try the link below
http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/63013-roadcc-buying-basics-buying-yo...

Latest Comments