Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rain Jacket

I recently completed my first sportive and one thing I learned is that I need a good rain jacket! I don't mind spending a few quid (actually I don't mind my family spending a few quid; it's my birthday soon). My only stipulations are; it must be stowable and no dayglo. Any recommendations?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

sneakerfrfeak | 10 years ago
0 likes
badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

Take that weather like a man. The added weight will make up for the handicap your lack of baws provide!  19

MT63 replied to badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I must have lost them somewhere along the line, growing up on the north coast of Ireland this rain thing was just a part of life. As my father used to say "If you can't see Scotland it's raining. If you can see Scotland then rain is on it's way!"

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

The only way to go is Castelli Gabba, they are EVERYWHERE in the pro peloton and not just on Castelli sponsored riders.

oddbydefault | 10 years ago
0 likes

Craft Performance Rain Jacket.
http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/craft-performance-rain-jacket-2012-908.html
Thin, light, and packs into its own rear pocket.

You won't boil in it, as it's fairly breathable and has got 'strategic ventilation' in the form of storm flap covered mesh across the shoulderblades, and some mesh under the pits.

Nice thing is, all other seams are taped, and it's pretty waterproof. Comes in semi transparent white, black, and yellow, and has some tidy reflective bits. Elasticated wrists (with soft mesh material), and elasticated hem with unobtrusive silicon grip print, plus long pre-shaped sleeves.

A high quality product from Craft, and a good compromise between keeping the rain out and not over heating. Definitely on the expensive side though. I like mine  16

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
MT63 replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

Out of interest I went and had a look at the Rapha & Reaburn on the Rapha site. Nowhere does it mention anything about it even being showerproof although it does say you shouldn't wear a bag with it or other clothing over it as the reflective print will wear off. I won't use it for the commute then!

While we are on the subject of Rapha does anyone have any experience of their classic wind or rain jacket?

notfastenough replied to MT63 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dunluce wrote:

Out of interest I went and had a look at the Rapha & Reaburn on the Rapha site. Nowhere does it mention anything about it even being showerproof although it does say you shouldn't wear a bag with it or other clothing over it as the reflective print will wear off. I won't use it for the commute then!

While we are on the subject of Rapha does anyone have any experience of their classic wind or rain jacket?

I've got the Rapha Paul Smith rain jacket, which is very good. It's close fitting (size large, I'm 5'11' and 71kg), taped seams, very waterproof. However, as suggested by David above, it's a bit bulky. It just about fits into a jersey pocket, with a third of it sticking out (but rideable). If I wear it, it tends to be for the whole ride. It doesn't see anywhere near as much use as you'd expect, but then I got it for £50 in a sample sale so I don't feel like it's difficult to justify the cost. It's also just a nice jacket off the bike. Although it is breatheable, I do wear less under it, since it does add a little warmth.

I also have the Endura pakajak which is very good. It's not breatheable, non-taped seams, but it's seen some fairly awful weather and not let the rain in yet. It also packs very small. Moisture inside is only really an issue if you're giving it the beans.

Low Speed Wobble replied to MT63 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Classic rain jacket. Out in it again last night. Keeps out even the heaviest rain. Folds down to the size of a fist - a large fist though. Most enjoyed on a ride where it is required to be worn all the time rather than squeezed in to a back pocket. Money well spent though.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

You probably need two. One proper Goretex type waterproof for all day rainy rides and a packable race cape that doesn't breathe so will give you that boil in the bag feel if you are riding hard but packs down into a jersey pocket. dhb's packable waterproof doesn't breathe but it does go down very small and is very waterproof, it's fine for a few hours as long as you aren't going full tilt.

David Arthur @d... | 10 years ago
0 likes

Plenty of choice for you, and here's a good place to start http://road.cc/review-archive?tid=10695

Getting a fully taped seam waterproof jacket that packs very small is usually a tricky, proper waterproof jackets tend to be a bit bulkier so don't pack down as small as say a lightweight windproof+water resistant jacket does

Latest Comments