Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New toy!

As a number of regular forum followers might recall, in the past I had a bit of head/heart choice to make over my new bike - Pinarello FP Quattro or Specialized Tarmac Expert SL3. In the end the Tarmac won out and I haven't really looked back.

However, the salesman I spoke to at the Road Cycling Show last year did say to me that if you have a Pinarello itch, you won't stop till you scratch it.

He was a wise man!

I recently got an invite to an event held by Team Sky, which involved having a few ex-team bikes for sale.

I went along, obviously, although not 100% sure that I'd buy anything. However after sitting next to the Sky truck on the rollers and then looking along the line of bikes from the likes of Rowe, EBH, Stannard, Hayman, Knees, etc well that itch was still there!

After a really helpful chat with the fitting guy from Sky and some advice on wheel choice and a spare stem to make it fit me - I am now the proud owner of this:

IMAGE(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7284/8738069192_040e7b36ea.jpg)

It was one of Bernie Eisel's ex-bikes. The condition is excellent with just a couple of marks on the forks and one on the top tube but that all adds to the authenticity to me.

As you can tell from the pic I think I'll need to fit the 20mm shorter stem!

Can't wait to take it for a spin, although I know I'll never do it justice  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

No worries.

I wasn't blaming you. More concerned I had not got the right view of it.

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gah they have removed the SRM crankset!

0 likes

Let's just say it wasn't cheap but it was significantly cheaper than trying build a replica one .

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Where was my invite....  20

Not that I can ride uprights, I would have liked to go see all their stuff.

Out of interest, without going into exact detail, how much off "market value" did you get that beast?

jova54 replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Where was my invite....  20

Not that I can ride uprights, I would have liked to go see all their stuff.

Out of interest, without going into exact detail, how much off "market value" did you get that beast?

I got the same invite but my pockets are nowhere near as deep as SD's are  3

I think you had to be on Sky Pro-cycling Team website email list to get an invite.

Looking at the ball park figures they were quoting when the email went out you got a nice piece of cycling hardware at a very reasonable price SD.

Now, if your Tarmac SL is feeling unloved let me know  4

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

How much that set you back?

Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

How much?

0 likes

To the moderators - if you feel it's better to delete this thread please do.

Tom Amos replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

I may be missing something here but why isn't this up for discussion? Interesting thread!

Super Domestique replied to Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes
Tom Amos wrote:
Super Domestique wrote:

I may be missing something here but why isn't this up for discussion? Interesting thread!

As notfastenough rightly points out the invitation asked not to publicise the event online. My take on that was pre-event. I thought post-event would be ok. Nothing was said about not telling anyone etc on the day / at the point of sale.

However, if the mods felt it better to delete the thread, in that they thought it better not to mention it ever happened then they should feel free to do so and I'd accept that.

Hope that makes sense.

notfastenough replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:
Tom Amos wrote:
Super Domestique wrote:

As notfastenough rightly points out the invitation asked not to publicise the event online. My take on that was pre-event. I thought post-event would be ok. Nothing was said about not telling anyone etc on the day / at the point of sale.

However, if the mods felt it better to delete the thread, in that they thought it better not to mention it ever happened then they should feel free to do so and I'd accept that.

Hope that makes sense.

Ah - I hadn't meant to insinuate that you shouldn't be posting *after* the event - although re-reading my post it does look that way!

I'm sure it's fine now. Unfortunately I can't liberate £50 at the minute, never mind funds for that...

0 likes

Just to add, I haven't exactly been a fan of Sky, as they don't always 'race' in the exciting sense of the word.

However I do have a soft spot for Pina (Sky could easily move bike supplier next yr anyway). That soft spot goes back to Big Mig tbh.

That said, the Sky staff were great to deal with.

I did see Matt Hayman's bike which tempted me as he really took time out at the aforementioned Road Cycling Show to talk to my son, explaining different nutrition tips, etc. I didn't fit his bike though but was over the moon when the fitter said he had one of Bernie's that would.

I will, however, be cheering Sky on from now on.

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm not personally a huge fan of Sky and I probably would choose other bikes over the Pinarello but knowing that you are riding one of Bernie's race used bikes is cool as fuck.

It's smart that and I really hope you get to find out which race is was used in.

I reckon some of Wiggins' recently used bike would probably be best left alone...

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Blimey! Are you even back on the bike yet?

Does it have Eisel's name on it? That is very cool. I received an invite to the event, together with the request that it shouldn't be spread about on the intertelly!

You tried it out yet?

Super Domestique replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Blimey! Are you even back on the bike yet?

Does it have Eisel's name on it? That is very cool. I received an invite to the event, together with the request that it shouldn't be spread about on the intertelly!

You tried it out yet?

His name is at the front end of the top tube, you might make out the sticker (red flag).

It'll have my username added the opposite end of the top tube, like my other bikes.

I felt it would be ok to mention, seeing as its after the event. Apologies to Sky if I got that wrong! Too late now.

As for being back on the bike, well not properly. A few turbo spins and a couple of mtb 'round the block' trips.

homercles | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nice bike and the heritage makes for a good story - are they able to tell you anything about what races it was ridden in, etc? And do you get any guarantees at all?

Super Domestique replied to homercles | 10 years ago
0 likes
homercles wrote:

Nice bike and the heritage makes for a good story - are they able to tell you anything about what races it was ridden in, etc? And do you get any guarantees at all?

Thanks.

You get a certificate to prove it was an offical Sky bike, etc.
Not sure on the warranty side of things, I went with the feeling that they are highly maintained bikes. Any issues I'd get in contact with Sky I guess. They were very helpful.

Evidently the first time they have done something like this, usually it's just an online 'sale' so no chance to sit on the bikes.

The charger and cable for the Di2 came in a Sky/Rapha musette of course!

I have used Bernie's contact form on his own website to see if I can get any more info, although I doubt it.

Latest Comments