Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Going to Italy to see Giro

Hi, a few of us are heading to Italy next week to watch the Giro stage 18 (time trial) & 19 (stelvio stage). Having not been out before, I am keen to know if the roads will be open in the morning before these stages to cycle the course? I am assuming the mountain roads on stage 19 will be open for bikes up to when any 'caravan' goes through? But what about the time trial course? Teams often ride the course in the morning to check it out - are the public allowed on as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Nickbirtwistle | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ok, that's great, just what we needed to know, cheers mate. Will keep our eyes out for you. PS just had a look at your blog - nice work!

Tour Le Tour | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi, I'm riding the whole lot this year (although I turned around today in the snow) and had no trouble early in the morning for the TTT. I left it a bit late for the first ITT, and got kicked off about half way through. I think that was about an hour before the first pro started from memory. Before then there were pros on the course, but we were co-existing peacefully!

Say G'day if you see me, will try to attach a pic so you can recognise me!

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

You might get a better time than Cav!!

0 likes

Ok, thanks for responses - might need to do a little more research re the time trial. As for jealousy... I'll be thinking of you as I grind my sorry backside up the stevio at <8km/hr in the rain & sleet!

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm not Jealous at all  44

Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes

My memory of '92 Tour TT in Blois is that the pros are practicing on the route prior to actually riding it, so it may be difficult.

Joselito | 10 years ago
0 likes

Road closure advice for locals.
Can only speculate about TT and assume access is more controlled given the logistics involved.

0 likes

Hi thanks for the response, what about before the stage starts? I'm assuming roads are open for bikes as you see thousands of spectators at the side along the route with bikes etc. More interested about the time trial day and if the public can ride the TT course in the morning before the pros go out? Any ideas anybody? Cheers

Joselito | 10 years ago
0 likes

Last year, I was at Montecantini Terme for end of a stage and the next day Forte Dei Marme, not long after the start.
On both occasions we saw non-pros riding the course and local plod didn't seem to mind at all.

Latest Comments