Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

good rural routes in west yorkshire ?

Hi, Could anyone recommend a good rural road route with good smooth roads and quiet in the west yorkshire area.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Marauder | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think Ripon is a little too far North for you but there might be some climbs close to you included in the rides for the Ripon Revolution.
3 GPX files can be downloaded from http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/cycling-weekly-ripon-revolution-...
HTH

YorkshireMike | 10 years ago
0 likes

Also, some wonderfully quiet roads above Hebden Bridge, Haworth and Todmorden.

YorkshireMike | 10 years ago
0 likes

The Yorkshire Weaver Route this Sunday just gone was a blinder - some great climbs, quiet roads and immense descents. Routes are here: http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?option=event_detail&event_id=67

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

How far you going? I've got 2 great routes, 129 miles and 80 miles. If you want the GPX files you could always modify them to your liking?

L55 MC replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi,The 80 miles sounds about right for me at the moment.Yes please for the GPX files. e-mail l.mcclusky [at] btinternet.com many thanks

notfastenough replied to L55 MC | 10 years ago
0 likes
L55 MC wrote:

Hi,The 80 miles sounds about right for me at the moment.Yes please for the GPX files. e-mail l.mcclusky [at] btinternet.com many thanks

Will do.

Richthornton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not sure if it qualifies as West, but heading North out of Otley you can't go far wrong, Leathley Lane or Farnley Lane in particular is a great ride with some stunning scenery. Cross the A59 and you're spoilt for choice, depending on how far you're going. Memwith Hill area, loads of quiet roads round there. If you head West from there you can then cut south around Bolton Abbey, the road that runs through Ilkley golf course is popular and runs parallel to a main road so not much traffic. Then if you're heading back to Otley, Denton Road runs parallel to a more major road so it's nice a quite one, plus can stop in at the Black Horse in Askwith for a well-earned refreshment.
Can't really say much on the condition of the tarmac, much as you'd expect anywhere really: I'm sure there'll be some unpleasant patches mixed in with the good stuff.
Enjoy!

L55 MC replied to Richthornton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks sound just the trick!. i have seen many cyclists around the Bolton abbey area always thought they must be some back routes that avoid the busy roads.

Latest Comments