Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Oakleys - are they worth it?

Considering getting some Oakley glasses. Ones with a prescription required though. Seem very expensive. Are they worth it?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

CanAmSteve | 10 years ago
0 likes

Apparently Tesco Optical will do Adidas frames with prescription sports lenses. I say apparently, because when I checked, they were having a promotion, which meant they couldn't sell them. Huh? Hey - it's Tesco. I emailed Tesco to check on the madness (twice) but never got a reply. That's a class act.

Rose do some nice sunglasses which accept a prescription insert. The insert is cheap enough (30 Euros, I think) but then you have to have it ground to your prescription.

I went to the US on holiday, went into a mall, found an optician, had my eyes checked and then bought a set of decent prescription sports sunglasses. $100 for the eye test, $200 for the glasses. Ready next day. AND I have a copy of my prescription with IPD (interpupillary distance - or how close yer eyes are together  1

Bagpuss replied to yourpaceormine | 10 years ago
0 likes

I too have Rydons with Rx lenses and while the fit and optics (transitions lenses) are pretty good the frames are not in the same league as others I have used, after 2 years use the metal arms are corroding and I'm not sure how long they will last.

On the other hand my plastic M frames which are maybe 15 years old now are fine. But won't take an Rx insert.

Municipal Waste | 10 years ago
0 likes

To me they're not worth the money because I don't use sunglasses very much, but if you use them a lot then they are worth the money. Much the same as I have a good quality bike because I use it a lot whereas someone who only rides once a year around to the park and back really doesn't.

wjputt replied to TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter wrote:

I've had Rudy Projects with inserts and never got on with them and I've been happy with my Oakley Half Jackets that I got last year. They didnt work out that expensive either as I got the lenses from http://www.balanceoptics.com/index.php/lens/prescription-sports/prescription-lenses.html and the frames from ebay. All in with transitions presciptions came in at a little over £200 including postage which is only a little more than the cheapest presciption sunnies.

Thanks very much for this. I can't believe the difference in price. I can't see where the option on the website is for transitions though. Did you get your pupillary distance from your optician? On the Balance Optics site frames and lenses [prescription] are coming out at £250 & optician was £439! Am I seeing things and do I need to get my eyes re-tested??!!

pcb24 | 10 years ago
0 likes

They're expensive due to the bullet proof lenses. My blue iridium lenses sharpen up the dark days and keep the sun out on brighter days.

Carl | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got a pair of prescription Oakley Whiskers and they are fantastic. The frames are very strong and they have excellent lenses. The shape is great for cycling. I'm getting another pair with transition lenses so I can use them after sunset, but this time I will shop around on the web. I've found I can get a pair for about £125, although the lenses won't be Oakley, but good enough for what I need. Hope this is helpful.

TheHatter replied to wjputt | 10 years ago
0 likes
wjputt wrote:
TheHatter wrote:

I've had Rudy Projects with inserts and never got on with them and I've been happy with my Oakley Half Jackets that I got last year. They didnt work out that expensive either as I got the lenses from http://www.balanceoptics.com/index.php/lens/prescription-sports/prescription-lenses.html and the frames from ebay. All in with transitions presciptions came in at a little over £200 including postage which is only a little more than the cheapest presciption sunnies.

Thanks very much for this. I can't believe the difference in price. I can't see where the option on the website is for transitions though. Did you get your pupillary distance from your optician? On the Balance Optics site frames and lenses [prescription] are coming out at £250 & optician was £439! Am I seeing things and do I need to get my eyes re-tested??!!

Yeah they are much cheaper and the service was fine. I'd had my eyes tested at specs avers and they gave me my PD though I had to specifically ask for it. The transitions options are mentioned in the titles such as these ones http://www.balanceoptics.com/index.php/brand/oakley-prescription/oakley-...

Pages

Latest Comments