Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sunday Times Giro coverage.

Anyone else disgusted at the Sunday Times coverage of Dowsetts win in the paper today? It's all about Wiggins, and basically slags alex off as a Armstrong lover. Talk about Sky bias. I am seething that a young Brit can do so well and be treated so poorly.

2  2  2

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's good news! Thanks for joining in the discussion too.

stevemarks replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

That's good news! Thanks for joining in the discussion too.

+1

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Alex's comments were discussed and dissected at the time. It became very obvious very quickly that what was reported wasn't what he tried to say. The paragraph in the ST looks like a cheap dig to me. I thought David Walsh was better than that.

At least Walsh appears to have admitted his earlier error on Twitter, though 30 seconds on google would have prevented him making that mistake e.g.
http://road.cc/content/news/68844-usada-armstrong-evidence-reaction-cycl...
He should ensure something is written in his newspaper column too.

I hope Alex can focus on his racing now. Another British tester makes the big time in road racing  16

0 likes

Well, Walsh clearly knows he was a bit out of order, hence seeking Dowsett out, clearing the air and using it as an opportunity to set the record straight. To err is human, but to fix that mistake immediately - not every journalist would do that.

NeilG83 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't read the Sunday Times, but this really annoyed me. The BBC stitched-up Dowsett with a very tightly edited quote from him, whilst he was in China; just hours after USADA had published it's report. How could he give an informed opinion about Armstrong then? Walsh didn't need to bring it up in the article.
Also, Dowsett used to ride for the Livestrong team, so he probably would feel more sympathetic towards Armstrong than others.

0 likes

It's not reportage as much as it a column on one subject. Plenty of people reporting what happens in the race. Walsh tends to focus on one subject. For years that's been tackling doping in sport.

Weirdly, he's just this minute tweeted about the Dowsett thing:

David Walsh 15m
1/6: Rest days at GTs can be good: Have just spent an hour shooting the breeze with Alex Dowsett which was both interesting and informative.

2/6: I'd wanted to catch up with him, he got to me first. He wanted me to know the daft things about LA last Oct didn't reflect his beliefs.

3/6: Everyone in Sky speaks highly of Alex, good guy with good ethics, and they felt what he'd said didn't tally with the person they knew.

4/6: We talked about it. LA had been a hero at one time and in China he wasn't aware of what had come out and felt very foolish that evening

5/6: He realises if he'd been a pro in LA era, he would have had a less successful career. Said he understood why I wrote what I did in ST.

6/6: Alex Dowsett says he has never seen a performance enhancing drug, let alone taken one. He doesn't need me to believe that, but I do.

stevemarks replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

It's not reportage as much as it a column on one subject. Plenty of people reporting what happens in the race. Walsh tends to focus on one subject. For years that's been tackling doping in sport.

Weirdly, he's just this minute tweeted about the Dowsett thing:

David Walsh 15m
1/6: Rest days at GTs can be good: Have just spent an hour shooting the breeze with Alex Dowsett which was both interesting and informative.

2/6: I'd wanted to catch up with him, he got to me first. He wanted me to know the daft things about LA last Oct didn't reflect his beliefs.

3/6: Everyone in Sky speaks highly of Alex, good guy with good ethics, and they felt what he'd said didn't tally with the person they knew.

4/6: We talked about it. LA had been a hero at one time and in China he wasn't aware of what had come out and felt very foolish that evening

5/6: He realises if he'd been a pro in LA era, he would have had a less successful career. Said he understood why I wrote what I did in ST.

6/6: Alex Dowsett says he has never seen a performance enhancing drug, let alone taken one. He doesn't need me to believe that, but I do.

Looks to me like an exercise in covering his proverbial/justifying his comments.

I can understand the one angle thing, but why then go on to drag up the doping stuff with Dowsett again? Apart from being unnecessary, it is potentially damaging to a young cyclists career. Given Walsh's record isn't there an implicit accusation in the mere mention of Dowsetts connections to Armstrong and doping comments once they are published?

stevemarks | 10 years ago
0 likes

If as you say this is a weekly column about the Giro then that is even worse as he makes no mention whatsoever of 2 stage victories by one Mark Cavendish?

As for his journalistic integrity, whatever his feelings about Dowsett's misreported comments about Armstrong, they should be irrelevant to his achievements here surely?

0 likes

I'd say that's fair enough. Walsh's column is a weekly one; the story of the week is how well Wiggo is doing in the GC. Dowsett is a notable mention, and given Walsh's history with doping and Armstrong it would be remiss of him to not mention Dowsett's massive gaffe last year. A little harsh and unforgiving, but understandable I guess.
You really cannot knock Walsh's journalistic integrity. He's worked hard and put up with a lot of shit to get where he is. Though he's paid by a news corp paper to cover Sky, I really don't believe that that would affect his coverage. He's never shied away from asking the tough questions.

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

Here's a photo someone posted http://t.co/Vjm7qTqMNJ

stevemarks | 10 years ago
0 likes

(un)Fortunately behind paywalls so cannot link it, but basically a whoile page article about how well Wiggins is doing under the circumstances and by the way some guy called Dowsett won the stage and he is most famous for calling Armstrong a legend.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

What did DW say then?

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've not actually seen any of this coverage and the ST is pay-walled so can't find it on the website, anyone got a link?

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

You see biased coverage of News Int/Sky's own team and you're surprised?

Will Fotheringham is the cycling journalist I'd go to first for race reports, even if he doesn't get the insider's scoop on Wiggins. The days of the ST being a byword for gritty journalism ended years ago.

Had never thought to check what Sky mouthpiece Orla says, I can't imagine she'd add any great insight. I'd go for Will, Matt Rendell (@mrendell) and Richard Moore (@richardmoore73) any day.

A revealing tweet by David Millar yesterday:

"Congratulated 24yr old @alexdowsett this morning, was sad to see how disappointed he was about what @DavidWalshST had written about him."

stevemarks replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Millar also tweeted later about Walsh's preoccupation with "his" story.

I rarely buy any newspaper, and certainly not for cycling coverage, but that doesn't mean that when I do happen to pick it up I should expect to read such a scandalously bigoted hatchet job on a young British professional. I know Alex was very upset about it, and I am not surprised. I really felt for the guy. His first win in his first grand tour and that is what gets written about you by the Chief sports writer of the ST.

I was thinking it might be interesting to read one of Walsh's books but I would not touch one now even when they are offered for 50p in the OXFAM shop.

SkyOrla replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm late to this thread so sorry, but I was delighted to big-up Dowsett's incredible victory at the time. We put a lot of effort into our coverage, so I'm sorry of that didn't go down well with you guys. I'm determined to get as much cycling on TV as possible. Hope you all stick with us.

Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes

Buy the Observer

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

As much as I am not a fan of Team Sky, I think the way Wiggo and Walsh are shooting their mouths off all the time is damaging the team and the other riders MUST be pissed off

obutterwick | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I had the same thought. I'm fairly sick of Sky Orla, too. Screechy voice and VERY limited cycling knowledge.

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not surprised at all.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

What do you expect, they are paying David Walsh to be with Team Sky.....

He's been a twat on twitter aswell  19

Latest Comments