Home

Beginner road cyclist here and very happy with my triban 3. Didn't want to spend mega bucks until I really get into it!

The only upgrade I am looking at are new tyres as the triban ones are pretty poor.

I have absolutely no idea what to get and would like suggestions, obviously i'm not looking for anything silly, but would like a bit more sporty.

Sorry for the basic question!  9

12 comments

FMOAB [267 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I'll go first this time and say the obvious, "it depends on the type of cycling you do". I'm going to assume that you do a little bit of most things including commuting, where puncture resistance is hugely important and general road cycling where you are looking for low rolling resistance. I'm personally a fan of comfort for both, so 25mm Gatorskins do it for me.

Stefano1970 [14 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks FMOAB, will check them out.

700c [954 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Vittoria open corsa 320tpi

Great summer tyre comfortable and supple. Fast. Enough tread to still be a sensible choice for when it's raining.

Can be had for £27 online..

Tom Amos [236 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Continental every time......

SammyG [274 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the open corsa, amazing tire

a.jumper [846 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

+1 for continental. Schwalbe are good for touring, not impressed by current Specialized, bontrager seem in short supply.

badkneestom [135 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Don't do Continental Ultra Sport.
Hit a crack raised 5mm at most (barely visible) on a turn at 10mph, lost both tires to 2cm+ tears. Fully inflated to recommendation.

I can't speak to the higher models though.

Tom Amos [236 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I used to use Hutchinson Equinox on my bTwin road bike. Considering they were cheap, I thought they performed really well. Maybe Conti tyres would be overkill on a bTwin Triban. The Hutchinson's were impressively grippy as well.

pdows47 [103 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I have conti super sports, touch wood no punctures since December, and faster than the kenda tyres that came on the bike. Relatively comfortable for 23s

60kg lean keen ... [69 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I have a Triban 3 and have upgraded the tyres to Michelin Lithion 2 I paid £22 for a pair! Cheap roll very well and have very good slash – puncher resistance (so far!!!!). I even went bling and got the red side walls!! http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/components/tyres/road/produc...

Read this for more info

SPAM Naval [139 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

done about 500km since trying Michelin Pro4 Service Course and very impressed so far. Not a nick in sight so far. couldn't say the same for Conti GP4000s which were my previous favourites...

Stefano1970 [14 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

ok, thanks for your replies. As i didn't want to go mad, I have plumped for some Michelin Lithion 2's.
Time will tell!  39