Route Planning

by corkadillo   May 11, 2013  

I'm looking for a sat nav app for my iPhone that allows me to create my own routes and upload them.

In the car I use Tyre and then upload it to my tomtom.

What sat nav apps do you use?

9 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

A coin, when you get to a junction you flip the coin heads you turn right, tails left. After a while you will know the roads and where you are and won't need a sat nav that takes your eyes off the road.

FATBEGGARONABIKE's picture

posted by FATBEGGARONABIKE [481 posts]
11th May 2013 - 18:53

like this
Like (0)

FATBEGGARONABIKE wrote:
A coin, when you get to a junction you flip the coin heads you turn right, tails left. After a while you will know the roads and where you are and won't need a sat nav that takes your eyes off the road.

+1 Smile

cidermart's picture

posted by cidermart [446 posts]
11th May 2013 - 19:09

like this
Like (0)

Like the above suggestions.

I use bikeroutetoaster to plan routes - gives route profiles - but I just remember the villages that I'll pass through and trust to signs and luck

posted by Stratman [36 posts]
12th May 2013 - 8:42

like this
Like (0)

I have used http://www.mapmyride.com/ quite a few times and not had any issues but there are loads of other similar websites.

posted by Marauder [235 posts]
12th May 2013 - 10:48

like this
Like (0)

I realy like ViewRanger which I found out about on another thread on here. You can plan your route on a real computer then follow it on your phone (I have a mount on my handlebars but this would be more difficult if you don't!). It shows you as a dot on a map and gives you a direction arrow if you need to make a turning. You can download the map to your phone over wifi so you dont need to worry about getting lost somewhere without any signal.

My head likes the idea of turning left and right willy nilly but my legs don't

posted by Kingrolo [35 posts]
14th May 2013 - 13:53

like this
Like (0)

I like http://www.ridewithgps.com for route mapping. You can export various formats to whatever app you use on your phone or directly to a Garmin.

netclectic's picture

posted by netclectic [104 posts]
14th May 2013 - 23:05

like this
Like (0)

+1 ridewithgps ....

still on the 3rd switch-back of Bwlch !

posted by therevokid [580 posts]
15th May 2013 - 10:26

like this
Like (0)

cyclestreets.net

There is an iphone app although I'm not sure if it will allow you to then upload it, you may have to log in to the website after you've created it on the iphone. Worth a look though.

posted by cojones [13 posts]
15th May 2013 - 10:58

like this
Like (0)

Another one to throw into the mix is bikehike.co.uk. I like the fact that there is a larger scale map on the right hand side of the screen whilst you can zoom in and out of areas on the left. It will also let you download routes to Garmins etc.

posted by Sadly Biggins [261 posts]
15th May 2013 - 14:11

like this
Like (0)