Giro Stage 8

by backflipbedlem   May 11, 2013  

So Stage 8 is finally here, Individual TT time!
After Wiggos crash yesterday is everyone still confident he can take his TT crown? Or will there be another surprise result???

Discuss!

84 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

Another poor day for my standard team, but a solid one for my Purist team at least it should be

I make the GC look like this

Nibali
Evans
Gesink
Wiggins
Scarponi

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3749 posts]
11th May 2013 - 16:18

like this
Like (1)

Looks like ,1,2,4,5 plus gc plus mountain points so far for me Big Grin

posted by chiv30 [822 posts]
11th May 2013 - 16:22

like this
Like (5)

Wiggins really up against it now in GC. Nibali's to lose, I reckon.

I wonder what Chris Froome's making of it?

Ghedebrav's picture

posted by Ghedebrav [997 posts]
11th May 2013 - 16:23

like this
Like (0)

2, 5, 7, 8, 18. Hmmm

Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades. (Merckx)

obutterwick's picture

posted by obutterwick [527 posts]
11th May 2013 - 16:24

like this
Like (0)

TERatcliffe26 wrote:
2nd for Wiggins (bike change cost him the difference), still think Scarponi, Gesink, Evans, Hesjedal, Inxausti and Nibali will still all go quicker than Wiggins

Remind me to take no notice of your thoughts for the rest of the season whilst playing the game Wink

posted by chiv30 [822 posts]
11th May 2013 - 16:25

like this
Like (0)

2,15,18 for me 4,6,8, on GC not good!!

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3749 posts]
11th May 2013 - 16:25

like this
Like (0)

Ghedebrav wrote:
Wiggins really up against it now in GC. Nibali's to lose, I reckon.

I wonder what Chris Froome's making of it?

I don't think it's that said and done ....summit finishes and another ITT TO come Thinking

posted by chiv30 [822 posts]
11th May 2013 - 16:27

like this
Like (0)

chiv30 wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
2nd for Wiggins (bike change cost him the difference), still think Scarponi, Gesink, Evans, Hesjedal, Inxausti and Nibali will still all go quicker than Wiggins

Remind me to take no notice of your thoughts for the rest of the season whilst playing the game Wink

To be fair I was basing that on the first split...

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3749 posts]
11th May 2013 - 16:27

like this
Like (0)

shocker for me worst tt of season easy, on wiggins very much against it now imo

posted by ianbar [7 posts]
11th May 2013 - 16:31

like this
Like (0)

I called Dowsett right and Kangert wrong, disappointed with Boaro but not a horrific stage for me overall. Going to properly plan my team for Tuesday now and see what I need to do in order to claw back some ground on those ahead of me.

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
11th May 2013 - 16:32

like this
Like (0)

TERatcliffe26 wrote:
chiv30 wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
2nd for Wiggins (bike change cost him the difference), still think Scarponi, Gesink, Evans, Hesjedal, Inxausti and Nibali will still all go quicker than Wiggins

Remind me to take no notice of your thoughts for the rest of the season whilst playing the game Wink

To be fair I was basing that on the first split...

Ok I'll still take notice of you unless it's a TT stage Big Grin

posted by chiv30 [822 posts]
11th May 2013 - 16:56

like this
Like (0)

There are a lot of doom and gloom people on this site today, Wiggins changed his bike and still took time from Nibali, not as much as he would have wanted, but still time.

He has had no luck this tour but is still just over a minute down.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2642 posts]
11th May 2013 - 17:19

like this
Like (1)

stumps wrote:
There are a lot of doom and gloom people on this site today, Wiggins changed his bike and still took time from Nibali, not as much as he would have wanted, but still time.

He has had no luck this tour but is still just over a minute down.

I agree. Pessimistic outlook is creeping in on here of late. We're only on Stage 9, after all.

Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades. (Merckx)

obutterwick's picture

posted by obutterwick [527 posts]
11th May 2013 - 17:30

like this
Like (0)

I had 1,3,6,7,14 and 2nd in GC I'd hoped for more.

posted by djb123 [84 posts]
11th May 2013 - 17:42

like this
Like (0)

I think my purist team will score more than my TT focused standard. Some really poor times for TT guys today

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8643 posts]
11th May 2013 - 17:56

like this
Like (0)

Oh, 103 standard including 30 penalty points, 105 purist.

I'm up 391 places in the purist league today and edging towards the top 500 with my team set out for then last two weeks and my standard team is still hovering outside the top 100. Time to start planning properly I think.

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
11th May 2013 - 18:05

like this
Like (0)

obutterwick wrote:
stumps wrote:
There are a lot of doom and gloom people on this site today, Wiggins changed his bike and still took time from Nibali, not as much as he would have wanted, but still time.

He has had no luck this tour but is still just over a minute down.

I agree. Pessimistic outlook is creeping in on here of late. We're only on Stage 9, after all.

I'm on the pessimist side, this is a race that Wiggins was only likely to win by a minute or two and he's probably down by at least 3 or 4 minutes on where he and Sky planned to be.

Wiggins isn't a rider accustomed to riding away from a field to put time into his rivals, his rivals are those kind of riders and now that's exactly what he's going to have to do in order to win this race. All along the plan for his rivals was probably to force Wiggins to ride their race and not his, now his only chance of winning is to do just that.

That being said, now is the ideal time to put £10 on Wiggins to win Big Grin

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
11th May 2013 - 18:07

like this
Like (0)

Looking at the coming stages with 20 secs up for grabs to the winner Sky need to go back to basics and do what they do best, hammer it at the front and watch as the rest fall by the wayside. Astana dont appear to have the strength in depth so it'll be interesting to see what Nibali does if first Uran, then Henao and finally Wiggins put their foot down, he cant chase all of them.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2642 posts]
11th May 2013 - 19:59

like this
Like (0)

I also went up in the purist, only scored 99, but my team is focused for today onwards with Wiggo, Hesjedal, Nibali and Scarponi.

So I'm hoping to shoot up from my 1311 in purist shortly.

My standard team will be converted into a stage hunting WIN A PUMP team Devil

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8643 posts]
11th May 2013 - 20:11

like this
Like (0)

stumps wrote:
Looking at the coming stages with 20 secs up for grabs to the winner Sky need to go back to basics and do what they do best, hammer it at the front and watch as the rest fall by the wayside. Astana dont appear to have the strength in depth so it'll be interesting to see what Nibali does if first Uran, then Henao and finally Wiggins put their foot down, he cant chase all of them.

Agree 100% but to do that they have to stay off the front and let other teams do the chasing ....

posted by chiv30 [822 posts]
11th May 2013 - 20:13

like this
Like (0)

I don't know stumps. Tunnel Kangaroo is doing quite well. Might aswell call him that, because every time his name is called out, its said differently.

Tiralongo would have been the other wingman, but he tweeted a picture yesterday of his thermometer, he's running at near 39 temperature Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8643 posts]
11th May 2013 - 20:16

like this
Like (0)

Sorry didn't explain myself very well, should have said 2 choices, hammer it on the front or bounce off the front one by one with Uran henao and wiggins all in the top 10.

Whatever way they do it the race is far from over.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2642 posts]
11th May 2013 - 20:34

like this
Like (0)

Not sure they have the personnel to hammer it at the front all day, but agreed, Henao and Uran are enough of a threat to the leaders and anyone else riding for a top 10 that the likes of Santambrogio and Scarponi at least would have to chase. Or if Uran and someone like Scarponi went up the road then I doubt Nibali and Hesjedal would be keen to let that go.

Anyone expecting a Contador-esque all day solo break from Wiggins to claw back some time?

Whatever happens, if Wiggins wins this race now no one can say he didn't earn it.

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
11th May 2013 - 20:55

like this
Like (0)

I do love this game.

Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades. (Merckx)

obutterwick's picture

posted by obutterwick [527 posts]
11th May 2013 - 21:01

like this
Like (0)

i cant seem to get it right at mom. i actively chose to leave wiggo out to get 2 good top 5 prospects in- i really fancied kessiakov to at least top 5, really dissapointed by his result. nul point! and i didnt properly consider dowsett, you live and learn.... back to the drawing board Smile

Anyone know a website where we can see the split times for today's ITT? would love to study them but can only find the final times.

johnny2names's picture

posted by johnny2names [198 posts]
11th May 2013 - 21:06

like this
Like (0)

johnny2names wrote:

Anyone know a website where we can see the split times for today's ITT? would love to study them but can only find the final times.

http://www.gazzetta.it/radiocorsa/giroditalia/2013/08/classifica_crono_p...

http://www.gazzetta.it/radiocorsa/giroditalia/2013/08/classifica_crono_p...

http://www.gazzetta.it/radiocorsa/giroditalia/2013/08/classifica_crono_f...

posted by northstar [1083 posts]
11th May 2013 - 21:11

like this
Like (0)

Already made my transfers for tomorrow (played it safe and should do ok), anyone reckon Battaglin can make it over and win again?

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3749 posts]
11th May 2013 - 21:18

like this
Like (0)

thanks a lot northstar!

johnny2names's picture

posted by johnny2names [198 posts]
11th May 2013 - 21:34

like this
Like (0)

Your welcome Johnny : )

posted by northstar [1083 posts]
11th May 2013 - 21:46

like this
Like (0)

TERatcliffe26 wrote:
Already made my transfers for tomorrow (played it safe and should do ok), anyone reckon Battaglin can make it over and win again?

Paddy Power have him as 7/1 favourite.

Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades. (Merckx)

obutterwick's picture

posted by obutterwick [527 posts]
11th May 2013 - 22:11

like this
Like (0)