Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro stage seven

Thoughts on the day's picks?

I was a bit overburdened with sprinters, so have taken a ten point hit to bring in Nibs, Uran and Visconti. The big news for stage will be bringing in Brad plus a.n. other cheapish tt-er (or a versatile chap like Betancur?).

Suspect Paolini and Katusha may give it one last push to keep the pink before he well-and-truly loses it after the time trial.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

74 comments

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hoping Pirazzi goes in the break, Visconti too, then Ventoso/Battaglin 1-2 at the finish, with Hesjedal a brave 3rd for bonus seconds

We can all dream right?

Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes

Taborre (VIN) gone on a solo break

Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes

caught

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

Taborre, Cataldo, Di Luca and Rabottini are all locals to the area for todays stage

I've gone with this lot

Weening (for Goss)
Pirazzi (for Bouhanni)
Aru
Visconti
Santambrogio (for Nizzolo)
Viviani
Di Luca
Paolini
Cattaneo

drheaton replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Dr, your last paragraph reminded me of Keegan when he was manager at Newcastle and that was the season they finished 2nd, so good luck mate  4

Yeah, given up on the overall so trying the 'throw lots of riders at my team and see what sticks' approach.

I think my problem was that I didn't put any time into planning my race before it started so I was on the back foot from the start.

Usually I make some notes on the profiles and vaguely plan my transfers ahead of time so I know what I want to do then pick the particular riders a couple of days ahead. This time, because of work commitments and other stuff I've just not put any time into it whatsoever.

Currently 148th overall (which is respectable) but I'd hoped to top 20. I'll see how I'm doing when we get to the mountains and adjust my plan accordingly if I think I have a shot of that.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

After 32km Tjallingii, Sella, Tamouridis, Hansen, Ligthart & Rollin have 20"

Balls.

stevemarks | 10 years ago
0 likes

I didn't have enough sprinters yesterday and have fallen a bit behind, but hopefully that should help me for today and tomorrow.

Di Luca
Wiggins
Battaglin
Sanchez
Kelderman
Pirrrrazzzziiiiiiii
Gruzdev
Visconti
Intxausti

It's tomorrow I am really looking forward to.

drheaton replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:
Quote:

After 32km Tjallingii, Sella, Tamouridis, Hansen, Ligthart & Rollin have 20"

Balls.

That group now has over 6 minutes, Rabottini and Boem tried to get across but the peloton shut that down fairly quickly.

This looks like the break for the day and, depending on how much some teams want to work today, it could go all the way to the end.

johnny2names | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm sceptical it will go all the way, its a punishing late profile and there are enough non GC puncheurs who will fancy their chances of a stage today. I still havent had 1 guy in the break away in this giro  20

evans
hesjedal
JD ( what happened yesterday?)
Paolini
Rubiano
Battaglin
Garzelli
Locatelli
Mezgec

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, Argos seemed to think the finish line was about 500m closer than it was yesterday. Maybe someone messed with their electronics, like with the plane in Die Hard 2...

Hoping the break will be reeled in, ideally before the sprint points, and Di Luca goes for the hometown stage win - no scruples for me when it comes to picking "riders of dubious standing"!

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

The gap is now 7:10, making Sella now the virtual race leader.

This might kick start the fun.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, Vini Fantini don't seem happy that they've not got anyone in the break and Katusha want to keep the pink today so I see that gap coming down considerably.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Break's advantage down to under 4 minutes as they hit the first climb, could well be pulled back ahead of the sprints after all, Vini Fantini still working hard.

On another note... Uran has been quoted on Columbian radio as saying he hopes to finish top 5 and take the pink jersey today. He says he's working for Wiggins but clearly has ambitions of his own too.

Mikeh789 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not sure what to do today, another difficult Medium Mountains day!, Dumped my 4 sprinters from yesterday, gone with 2 GC guys, 1 with a look in tomorrow. Given Sammy 'golden shoes' Sanchez a chance & Santambrogio. Stuck with Betancur & my 3 cheap DS.

Should have enough to play with credit wise to bring Sir Wiggo in.

0 likes

Down under three minutes now - this could be a really good last 40km...

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

Uran just clipped Wiggo's back wheel at low speed on a climb and ended up in a heap on the floor!  21

0 likes

This is all getting abit crazy.....aprt from Hansen being out front, and Sella also away, I haven't got a clue who is there or where they are.

Nibali went down on a decent too

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wiggins is down, Sella went down again, Nibali's been down.

This is mad.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Aparently Wiggins has been dropped on the descent and looks like he may lose time today, he's going to have to work so hard to get back on that it'll surely affect tomorrow too.

This is not going to plan for Sky.

0 likes

This could be the end of Wiggins hopes.

Only positive it looks like Pirazzi was at the front (hopefully)

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

Riders dropping like flies... Hansen teaching everyone a lesson in riding a bike!

0 likes

Wiggins is a good minute behind Nibali and co

0 likes

Have to say Chapeau to Hansen - this is his fifth consecutive Grand Tour.

0 likes

2,4,7 and 10 for me  1

0 likes

1 HANSEN Adam Lotto Belisol Team 80 4:35:49
2 BATTAGLIN Enrico Bardiani Valvole - CSF Inox 50 1:07
3 DI LUCA Danilo Vini Fantini 35 ,,
4 SANTAMBROGIO Mauro Vini Fantini 25 ,,
5 CARUSO Damiano Cannondale Pro Cycling Team 18 ,,
6 EVANS Cadel BMC Racing Team 15 ,,
7 PIRAZZI Stefano Bardiani Valvole - CSF Inox 12 ,,
8 JEANNESSON Arnold Equipe Cycliste FDJ 10 ,,
9 WEENING Pieter Orica GreenEDGE 8 ,,
10 HESJEDAL Ryder Garmin - Sharp 6 ,,

0 likes

3,4,7 & 9 for me  16

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

4,6 & 7, not as good a day as I'd hoped.

Wiggins loses a minute, that's huge. When he expected to be level going into tomorrow and up by a couple of minutes by the end of tomorrow to be that far down now is massive.

It's quite possible that having worked so hard today he may not be able to take more time from the rest than he's actually lost today and still behind after the TT.

backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes

2nd, 3rd, 4th & 6th Not bad

will i get any points for Intxausti becoming the new race leader???

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes, top 10 in the GC are awarded 10 points down to 1.

0 likes

Wiggins not in top 20 for GC.....

Pages

Latest Comments