Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First Sportive

I do my first sportive tomorrow and one of the (many) things going through my mind is tyre choice. At present I'm using the 25mm tyres that came with my new pinnacle dolomite 5; however I've had 3 punctures over the past 2 weeks. I'm thinking about swapping them for the 28mm ones on my old urban bike which were only a few months old. Would the fact that they are thicker and have a bit of tread make any difference over the 60 mile distance against the thinner smooth tyre. I'm not really interested in time, only completing.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

MT63 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Two punctures, 2:00am this morning, in the rain, on a dark country lane with no lighting. I'll be looking at a few of these tyre suggestions closely!! Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Speeding through small Essex villages in the dark while everyone slept was a great experience.

Mat Brett | 10 years ago
0 likes

* It actually hasn't.

Mat Brett | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you've had three punctures already you'll be fine. Punctures come in threes. If you've had your quota, you'll be fine for a few weeks at least.

This has been proven by science*.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

If the 28mm have a better puncture belt then yes, but without knowing the model it's an unknown. The Kriteriums seemed OK in the road.cc review. Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy the event.

Part of the trick in avoiding punctures is to try to keep clear of some of the stuff that causes them - stay out of the gutter and (if you can) away from debris. I ride in the left hand wheeltracks AKA secondary position where possible and take an alternative route home on the days they trim the hedges near my work.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, it's the make of tyre and material rather than width itself.

25 is a good compromise for comfort and rolling resistance. If roads are bad then bontrager hard case in 25mm are close to bomb proof, IME.. And cheap plus they roll very well once up to speed.

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

I use Michelin dynamics, mid price range and have not had one puncture in the last twelve months, but just in case I carry a spare tube and a can to seal the puncture, both can be carried in your pouch under your seat. the 28mm tyres will offer a little more comfort, if it is raining as it is her in the north west then blow your tyres up to max pressure then release between 5 and 10% of the air this will give you a little extra grip in the rain, if you have your tyres as nails in the rain you are taking a chance.

good luck

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Go for 25 but with good puncture protection, maybe Gatorskins?

issacforce | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think it depends on make of tyre not thickness i use continental and hav very few punctures

Latest Comments