Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Insurance

So an incident this weekend made me consider getting insurance but after having a look around I am baffled

Can anyone give me a good policy that is a fairly reasonable price and would be offering something like -

If one of them ugly smoke emitting boxes came into contact with my bike, resulting in it no longer operating I'd get some money (even if said person doesn't stop)

If my bike is stolen - not too worried about this home insurance covers this (from home, and perhaps if I'm out n about)

If i'm a little over zealous on a turn and find my self no longer cycling, on the floor and bike in two parts 5-10 meters away

If a lovely chap in a white van tries to pass a bolt out of his window to me (happened this weekend, near miss to my carbon frame which I'm convinced would have ripped through it leaving it un rideable)

Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

I_like_bikes | 10 years ago
0 likes

I also went with ETA - they gave the best package for what i wanted and considering i tour, want to race and ride in and out of London i felt it was the best choice.

LondonCyclist website/blog had quite a good review of insurance policies.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've just gone with Protect you're Bubble which was the best value from the reputable providers (Web reviews from E&L are very bad, even though they're cheaper). £370 for two bikes covered up to £5,250 total value.

Quite honestly, now that I've complied with their conditions of locking them to an immovable object within a securely locked location, using an absolutely massive chain lock to 'Sold Secure' standards, it's unlikely they'd get stolen now anyway..

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was researching recently and the best value providers seemed to be ETA, British Cycling and CTC. This was focused towards accident and liability rather than bike damage or theft though.

I chose ETA because they will insure your one specified bike against theft or damage while giving you accident/liability insurance that covers you on any bike you happen to ride - a useful distinction which most providers seemed to overlook.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm assuming that is £160 per year? Do you have to pay in a lump sum or can you pay monthly with them?

Have you ever made a claim?

Al__S | 10 years ago
0 likes

BC is I'm pretty sure 3rd-party only. I've got my two insured through ETA- £160 (for the pair) gives me theft protection, preotection against loss or damage whilst they are with an airline or courier, personal liability and personal accident, breakdown cover and legal advice.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I found that most seem to be quite a lot, more than I can afford (poor student)
Will check with the home insurance.

Does the British cycling membership include some form of insurance?

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is British Cycling's cover not sufficient?

jengy | 10 years ago
0 likes

You should be able to add the bike to your home insurance, if not change to one that does

the bike only insurances seem v expensive as you've probably found

crash144019 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Protect your bubble offer a decent policy for nine pounds a month. Also home insurance is a bit of a misleading line. Normally only up to £500

Latest Comments