Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro d'Italia - Tappa 6

...see what I did there? Hard to see past Cavendish for today, but reckon Mattia Gavazzi will give it a good go.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

59 comments

Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes

DNS today Cheng Ji (ARG) has a fever.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cavendish
Bouhanni
Viviani
Degenkolb
Paolini
Santambrogio
Dehaes
Mezgec
Gavazzi

Just the two changes, I've given up on the idea of bank transfers and trying a new technique now of making as many transfers as I need to in order to get the team I want, I'm currently at 60 penalty points for the race, thinking I might rack up 200 by the end

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Kept mine the same as yesterday, hopefully will get more than 4 points !

Giacomo Nizzolo
Mark Cavendish
Fabio Aru
Stefano Locatelli
Nacer Bouhanni
Jens Mouris
Elia Viviani
Mauro Santambrogio
Thomas Dekker

STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes

BOUHANNI
CAVENDISH
MEZGEC
DeHAES
SANCHEZ
SANTAMBROGIO
PAOLINI
VISCONTI
ARU

obutterwick | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm going with:

Leigh Howard (GRE)
Luca Paolini (KAT)
Mark Cavendish (OPQ)
John Degenkolb (ARG)
Elia Viviani (LIQ)
Giovanni Visconti (MOV)
Enrico Battaglin (BVI)
Thomas Dekker (GRM)
Kristijan Durasek (LAM)

Goss can't win for toffee, so Howard remains in. He could also feature tomorrow.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

Full house. full house has eluded me so far. well, that and the tour top ten but i think that's monumentally unlikely  39

cav, bouhanni, nizzolo for me today, and some banker points from paolini, uran, visconti and aru. not going to be a great day score-wise i don't think. oli sitting next to me has seven sprinters.

letsgoup | 10 years ago
0 likes

Like many I have given up on a good position in the Giro. I was banking transfers (sorry enrique) to go stage hunting later. But I could not resist bringing in a few sprinters for today. Still sticking with my cheaper GC guy's though when hopefully predictable results start to happen and I can judge the form climbers(then I woke up from my dream  24 ). I'm making transfers here and there to keep my position respectable. But later on I'm going hunting for my podium badge.  2 Badges are way cooler than prizes  13

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

After 2nd on stage 1 and sitting 1st overall after stage 2  4 i now find myself in 199th  13 but only 128 points of the top, so not as bad a few days considering.
Didn't really want to use transfers today but gone for this lot

Goss
Viviani
Bouhanni (for Betancur)
Nizzolo
Viscnoti
Paolini
Aru
Di Luca (for Santam)
Cattaneo

Not going with Cav today as much as it's set for him today, got enough sprinters that should score points.

0 likes

Find it hard to believe that its 2 years to the day that Wouter took that tragic tumble in the Giro....

RIP...Wouter Weylandt...  2

livestrongnick replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

Find it hard to believe that its 2 years to the day that Wouter took that tragic tumble in the Giro....

Garmin, possibly Millar for the break today?  39

ray silvester replied to livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

Garmin, possibly Millar for the break today?  39

I hope it's Haas

Ride safely guys  16

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cav in for Nibali
Gavazzi for Wurf
Goss
Bouhanni
Aru
Visconti
Haas
Puccio
Oliveira

To be fair to the Manx Missile he's the only one who's won the stage he's supposed to so far(in my mind anyway!!):

Garmin were favourites for the TTT,Sanchez or Nibali for stage 3,A GC guy for stage 4,Goss for stage 5?

It feels as though I've had a bit of a 'mare so far and then look up to see I'm only 140pts adrift.

#GlassHalfFull?

chrisdstripes replied to ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

To be fair to the Manx Missile he's the only one who's won the stage he's supposed to so far(in my mind anyway!!):

Garmin were favourites for the TTT,Sanchez or Nibali for stage 3,A GC guy for stage 4,Goss for stage 5?

I've bet on every stage so far...
1-Cav 10/11
2-Movistar each way 50/1 (I know!)
3-Cav 20/1 (oops)
4-Battaglin each way 22/1 (Wowsa)
5-Degenkolb 7/2 and Bole 50/1 each way
6-Cav 8/11...

If only I could apply this clairvoyancy to my fantasy teams...

cgipryan replied to chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

1-Cav 10/11
3-Cav 20/1 (oops)
6-Cav 8/11...

Chapeau!

johnny2names replied to chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

1-Cav 10/11
3-Cav 20/1 (oops)
6-Cav 8/11...

Wow, well done sir! feel free to share your tips here...

TheBigMong replied to johnny2names | 10 years ago
0 likes
johnny2names wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

1-Cav 10/11
3-Cav 20/1 (oops)
6-Cav 8/11...

Wow, well done sir! feel free to share your tips here...

And for the record, what other bets did you make at the same time?

chrisdstripes replied to TheBigMong | 10 years ago
0 likes
TheBigMong wrote:

And for the record, what other bets did you make at the same time?

That was all of them, including the failed ones (Cav, Bole) - been limiting myself to one or two per stage. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect to revert to type over the next few days.

I do have Gesink for the overall podium though - forgetting the second rule of sport - Never bet on Robert Gesink. (The first - You don't win anything with Titus Bramble).

backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hey Guys,
pretty new to this, hows my team look, any advice

Bouhanni
Locatelli
Nibali
Viviani
Aru
Cavendish
DiLuca
Santambrogio
Battaglin

Any tips for the next few stages??

NeilG83 replied to backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:

Hey Guys,
pretty new to this, hows my team look, any advice

Bouhanni
Locatelli
Nibali
Viviani
Aru
Cavendish
DiLuca
Santambrogio
Battaglin

Any tips for the next few stages??

That team looks good for today. A few sprinters and scorers in the classifications too. You might want to take a couple of the sprinters out for tommorrow, but you also need to think ahead to the time trial on Saturday because your current line-up won't score many points.

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

With Ferrari as my one transfer, I now have Cav, Degenkolb, Ferrari, Viviani, Ventoso and Bole (plus Visconti and Wauters, and an admittedly hopeless Gatto). Really could do with no crashes today, a bumper points total, and room to muck about tomorrow before the TT. But best laid plans etc etc...

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well after bringing in 4 sprinters for yesterdays stage and ending up with a massive 4 points today cant be any worse. I've left things alone and will mess about after todays stage.

Cav's in with bouhanni, viviani and nizzolo.

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Viviani and Ventoso in and I plan to leave it be for tomorrow too to allow me to make changes for the ITT, although there are no obvious choices, as I aleady have Phinney in ready.

Phinney
Cav
Viviani (for Uran)
Ventoso (for Weening)
Gavazzi
Battaglin
Santambrogio
Paolini
Visconti

0 likes

Difficult to see past Cav today, but watching him trying to get up that final climb yesterday was painful, I personally dont think that he is in great shape at the moment...Hope Im wrong but although I think he will be in the mix today, Im thinking that Bouhanni, Viviani and Goss will really push him...
Its difficult to pack full of sprinters today with an up and down stage tomorrow and then tweaking for the TT the day after...

drheaton replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

Difficult to see past Cav today, but watching him trying to get up that final climb yesterday was painful, I personally dont think that he is in great shape at the moment...Hope Im wrong but although I think he will be in the mix today, Im thinking that Bouhanni, Viviani and Goss will really push him...
Its difficult to pack full of sprinters today with an up and down stage tomorrow and then tweaking for the TT the day after...

It's not really possible to judge a sprinters form on the flat by looking at them going uphill.

Over the last two years Cav has been better than he needs to be going uphill because he was targetting the hilly Olympic course. That's now done so it's quite likely he's gone back to working on pure flat speed in his training. That means he's slower uphill but faster in a sprint.

I think he's in good for (as shown by stage 1) and I think he's just gone back to his natural place in the peloton when it gets hilly which is at the back with the rest of the pure sprinters.

Anyway, if you wanted a sprinter on your team who would you choose:

1) Cavendish, unbeatable in a flat sprint, can't climb
2) Degenkolb, solid in a flat sprint but doesn't have the pace to beat Cavendish, can win the odd stage that get's lumpy
3) Goss, can't win anything...

I know who I'd want.

obutterwick replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Goss, can't win anything.

ROFL

STEVESPRO 79 replied to obutterwick | 10 years ago
0 likes
obutterwick wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Goss, can't win anything.

ROFL

Thats it then....off down the bookies to put a tenner on Goss....  1

STEVESPRO 79 replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

It's not really possible to judge a sprinters form on the flat by looking at them going uphill.

Over the last two years Cav has been better than he needs to be going uphill because he was targetting the hilly Olympic course. That's now done so it's quite likely he's gone back to working on pure flat speed in his training. That means he's slower uphill but faster in a sprint.

I think he's in good for (as shown by stage 1) and I think he's just gone back to his natural place in the peloton when it gets hilly which is at the back with the rest of the pure sprinters.

Anyway, if you wanted a sprinter on your team who would you choose:

1) Cavendish, unbeatable in a flat sprint, can't climb
2) Degenkolb, solid in a flat sprint but doesn't have the pace to beat Cavendish, can win the odd stage that get's lumpy
3) Goss, can't win anything...

I know who I'd want.

Im not judging Cavs form on his climbing ability....Yesterday he wanted to be there and failed miserably...I have never seen him look so distressed on a bike....Its not as if that final climb was a monster hill....

Having said that he is in my team today....but im not as confident as I usually am on such a tailor made stage for him...  1

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Couldn't afford Bouhanni, so Ferrari in.

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

Couldn't resist meddling. Bouhanni in.

Pages

Latest Comments