Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bib Short Advice

Hi there,

New rider looking to buy my first set of Bib shorts and was looking for your advice, I have up to £130 to spend.

Looking at the DHB Aeron pro's which are the cheapest at £54 or should I spend more on some Castelli Free aero race at £121? I dont mind spending the extra if they are that much better.

Or in the middle the Castelli Velocissmo's at £90.

Any others to consider? Also any advice on sizing when ordering... Thanks  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Shunt | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the advice, went for the Castelli Free Aero race. Really happy with my choice, very well made and the pad fit's me perfect. ordered a size larger than normal and they fit spot on  1

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Whatever you get, make sure you hand wash or wash on a delicate cycle at low temperature. Keeps the elastic nice and fresh. You don't want to spend £150 of kit that wears out quickly because you aren't looking after it.

fuzzywuzzy | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have the following: DHB Aeron Pro, Castelli Free Aero Race, Castelli Nanoflex 3/4 and Assos F5 Uno. I'd rate them in order of comfort:

DHB Aeron Race/Castelli Nanoflex joint 1st (both really comfy)
Castelli Free Aero Race 2nd (good pad but the cut is very tight, probably better suited to racing snakes)
Assos Uno 3rd (I just find the pad massively oversized to the point it creases, apart from that they're nice but the pad is the main part of shorts...)

I have 4 pairs of the DHBs now, Assos isn't the answer for any clothing related question (although I do rate their jackets!)

Sadly Biggins | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have various bib shorts (Bergamo, Nalini, DHB, Vermarc and Castelli) and the most comfortable I have is my Castelli Velocissimo shorts. I haven't tried Assos or Rapha but the difference in pad and comfort between the Castelli and my other shorts is massive. I'd highly recommend them, although beware Italian sizing in general as it comes up pretty small. I'm c 15 stone and 6 foot 2 and XXL is a good, snug fit.

Wando replied to Sadly Biggins | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've pair of Assos and DHB pro's both excellent shorts although DHB half the price, would recommend either. Of note the DHB top end shorts use same cytech pads as Rapha.

ColT | 10 years ago
0 likes

Said it before and will say it again. Assos every time.

Lock the thread. ;0)

PS: May be slightly over budget, but look after them and you'll get full value.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

DHB for me, good quality and nice fit. I buy sizes as I would normal clothes. Wiggle do free return so you can always send back if they don't fit

chris75018 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have you considered the Sportful BodyFit Pros?

The sizing is just daft (I'm a 30-32 waist and an XL...) but they're great quality, and you can usually pick them up for about 80 quid.

I find my DHB and Endura shorts fine for shorter distances / commuting but the extra comfort from the sportfuls on longer rides significant.

jimmo62 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Castelli - just wonderful......

boardmanrider | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ok, propane burners ready? Ah, I gonna regret this but my Rapha Pro team shorts (ignition) are really excellent (full power now!).

Ok, granted they are expensive but heres the thing, not much between my boney arse and the 'razor blade' (anybody remember that ad?) of a saddle that I have. I want comfort, no chaffing and something that looks good. Never tried Assos or Casetelli but I;m sure ther're just as good. Ive had cheap shorts in the past and wearing the Rapha was like riding on your favorite armchair. Loads of support and cushioning.

Right so, I should be nice and crispy now.

I_like_bikes | 10 years ago
0 likes

i have some of the DHB Aero Pro's and they are comfortable and will last you.
Depending on how much you ride will depend on how long the pad lasts so if you feel like you're going to burn through them, then maybe get a few of the Pro's?

Also many places LBS' and online do deals all the time so maybe put some ££ away until the castelli's, et al come down in price?

I also have a pair of Sugoi's - purchased from Wiggle which are excellent and were about £60-70

Tinternet_tim | 10 years ago
0 likes

I got some campag 3/4s cheap which I have been wearing all winter. The're great but it wasn't until last weekend that I remembered how much better the castelli aeros are as it was a shorts day. The pad and fit is simple outstanding and in my opinion worth the extra.
I have never tried assos, however a friend treated himself to some last year is smiling everytime he wears them (I assume due to comfort and fit reasons  1

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I love my Assos shorts, but I was checking out the new Chapeau ones the other day and they look brilliant. Think I'll try those next time I feel like a new pair. The pad felt great.

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

I own a 90 quid set which I use for events etc, but for normal training and or everyday commuting I picked up 4 sets off eBay for around ten quid each and they are great ( from China so up to a month to deliver) size wise, I'm a xl in normal clothes and buy all my cycling stuff in a large.

hope that helps

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Get yourself into an LBS and try them for size before you buy as you want the ones that feel most comfortable to you. A friend of mine swears by DHB but another one never got on with them. I personally wear shorts but they feel comfortable to me.

Latest Comments