Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

completed my first sportive at the weekend

i rode the drumlanrig challenge, 100 miles of it. my time wasn't great...7hrs 49 minutes. but my tyre exploded after about 60 miles....just before the main feed station, so i walked for about 3 miles in cleats. i got a lift to the bike shop, got a new tyre fitted, grabbed a quick snack and completed the final 40 miles..the lateral 15 miles although downhill were into an energy sapping wind but me and my brother (who waited for me whilst i got my tyre fixed) finished together. i feel like a proper cyclist now  16 at which point do i shave my legs  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nice one, I'm still looking to do more on the trike, but nothing near me, I had to travel the length of the country for my first event. Hopefully got something lined up at the end of the month though.

You should have just asked your brother for a wheel and left him behind....PRO  19

stepho replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nice one, I'm still looking to do more on the trike, but nothing near me, I had to travel the length of the country for my first event. Hopefully got something lined up at the end of the month though.

Hey Kam, there was an older dude in his late 50's done the full 100 miles in his trike.
Immediately thought of you when i saw him.

I offered to give Joc my wheel and i could wheelie sagan style the last 5 miles to the intermediate feed but he politely refused.  19

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

nice one, well done you have any more events lined up?, when I did my first one last year I spent the next week or so searching for sportives lol.

joc replied to billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've signed up for the Graeme Obree sportive in August

KirinChris | 10 years ago
0 likes

Congratulations - first of many I trust and you may find yourself in a few years doing things you may currently think are well beyond your capabilities or intentions. With lots of shopping opportunities along the way.

It's never too early to shave your legs, especially with the warmer months coming up.

Why couldn't you fix the tyre problem yourself ? Was it tyre or tube ? Could you not boot the tyre to get it to a replacement point ?

joc replied to KirinChris | 10 years ago
0 likes

it was the actual tyre, right on the bead. i done the old gel wrapper in the tyre trick and peddled on really slow for another couple of miles but the tube soon bulged out and blew again. there was a bike shop at the castle of the event, so it worked out ok. took the wind out my sails for a bit as we were doing not bad time wise. i suppose a lot of people would maybe have chucked it though, so i'm glad i was able to finish

Latest Comments