Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Guy with another which one of these bikes threads, 3K spend

Hi all

Im a new to the forum and new to taking road riding serious, I do a lot of MTB XC but have been doing a lot more road riding recently on my decathlon Triban 3 but now I want something a little more suited to beating my mates and getting up the STRAVA leader board  1 the only thing is I don't really know much about road bikes!

That said I have decided (based on what friends have and say) I need a carbon sub 8Kg bike with Udi2 and decent wheels, I have a 3k max budget and im looking for a decent bike that's great VFM, im happy with 2nd hand, ex demo, 2012 spec

This is my short list to date...

Felt AR3 Di2 __ 7.89kg __ MAVIC Cosmic Elite __ £2700
LINK

Ultimate CF SLX Di2 __ 7.05kg __ Ksyrium Elites __ £2900
LINK

Cannondale supersix di2 __ NAkg __ Ksyrium Elites __ £2400
LINK

Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2 __ NAkg __ Shimano WH-RS30A __ £2899
LINK

Vitus Vitesse VRi Di2 __ NAkg __ Ksyrium Elites __ £2519
LINK

Fuji SST 2.0 Di2 __ 7.7kg __ DT swiss Oval 535 __ £2319
LINK

if you where me which would you choose and why ?
Are there any lemons and why ?

note: Im 5.7' 72kg ive been riding up to 50 miles a session at the moment but want to double that (I did 80 at the weekend on my £300 Triban 3) for longer rides but still want something focused for shorter sprints.

cheers in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh and your splitting hairs when it comes to 250grams or whatever the hell it is. Your gonna stick 500ml bottles, a whole load of gear in your back pockets and all in all it will not make a huge load off difference. Better wheels and tyres over the Di2 just seems unnecessary and wheels are going to make the big difference.

Just putting it out there, if I had 3k to spend. I'd be getting a steel framed, campag groupo Condor  1

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

The canyon, its all black. I like that.

Ashleyhoaken | 10 years ago
0 likes

I am no judge but I would not got on what your friends have saidI am just an outsider so this is an Opinion , I have used di2 , winter is a problem with thick gloves I prefer mechanical setup bikes also easyer mantine ,I would recommended a road bike that suite you, I would choose a road bike that is the lightest , stiffest aero position and fast responsive handling out of the lot you have choosing I would chose the Canyon over BMC
For your needs you would Probably more suited for an Ridley Noah rs or emx-5
In order of my chose
1. Ridley
2. Cayo
2. EMX-5
3. Bmc

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

There's so little between them.

Canyon's got a slightly higher spec saddle, better tyres. It's this year's frameset, as opposed to last years. Oh, and it's got an easier low gear to push.... but these are all little things.

smashy | 10 years ago
0 likes

I like them both  20 , I was hoping someone was going to point out something in the spec that would sway me one way or the other

though I have spotting something interesting myself whilst googling, the BMC site says the bike is 7.25kg whilst Evans quotes 6.80kg

0 likes

Both amazing bikes. Get the one which excites you the most.

smashy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi, thanks for all your comments and advice its certainly helped direct my googling

I think im now set on the following two bikes as they appear the best value and available in my size (52)

The canyon is £100 cheaper but the BMC is lighter but I guess im splitting hairs and they will be pretty much the same

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2 __ 7.05kg __ Ksyrium Elites __ £2900
LINK
//www.canyon.com/i/bikes/zoom/ultimate-cf-slx-7-di2_c1024.jpg)

BMC RM01 __ 6.80 __ Ksyrium Elites __ 3000
LINK

//www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/3ea/e9f/327/62641/large/bmc-racemachine-rm01-ultegra-di2-compact-2012-road-bike.jpg)

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

With a £3k budget I'd be looking to specify some seriously good wheels and the best frameset (or full bike with stock wheels), that you could afford..

My reasoning is there are some cracking deals to be had on wheels right now. Your LBS would do a good job building it up for you if you get some of the components from them..

E.g.
Reynolds 46t wheelset £1100 CRC
Campag veloce groupset £355
Fuji SST Frameset £1040 CRC

Beg, borrow or steal the rest!

I'm taking from your budget you're fairly serious about cycling hence my suggestions.. I have no experience of the frame, but can vouch for the groupset and wheels as this is what I ride..

0 likes

Damnit now I've been lusting over shiny Canyons for too long.

0 likes

Get the Canyon, but I'd probably swap out the di2 for mechanical, and spend the extra on better wheels.
I'm keeping my eye on the canyon outlet store to get a CF SLX frame at some point.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Defy Advanced / TCR Advanced and some nice wheels. Or a Defy Composite 0 if you want Di2.

I wouldn't choose any of those in your list. But it's your money (which is why I find these 'which bike?' posts a bit strange), though I very much doubt there are any lemons when you're paying £2,500-£3,000 for a bicycle.

I wouldn't dwell on small differences in bike weight either - you don't "need" a sub-8kg bike. To get uphill faster you need to press harder on the pedals. Shedding 4kg from the rider would help a lot more than reducing the bike's weight by 500g, which is the weight of a bottle of water.

spongebob replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

Defy Advanced / TCR Advanced and some nice wheels. Or a Defy Composite 0 if you want Di2.

I wouldn't choose any of those in your list. But it's your money (which is why I find these 'which bike?' posts a bit strange), though I very much doubt there are any lemons when you're paying £2,500-£3,000 for a bicycle.

I wouldn't dwell on small differences in bike weight either - you don't "need" a sub-8kg bike. To get uphill faster you need to press harder on the pedals. Shedding 4kg from the rider would help a lot more than reducing the bike's weight by 500g, which is the weight of a bottle of water.

Yeah a TCR advanced would be a fantastic choice.

netclectic | 10 years ago
0 likes

Any of those will do. I would suggest you save some money on the groupset and spend it on better wheels.

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have no experience, only dreams... but the S5 has an ugly arse. The Canyon is elegant and stylish in black, you don't want to spend that money and have puke green stripes on it. Don't make 'marginal gains' the be all and end of of your choice. Whatever you get you will get a hell of a bike and for the money you should expect a good spec and light wheels, after all you have already specified your own weight target.

I am glad at least someone is clicking on the adverts and spending money.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Only one choice really.

Cervelo S5

zzgavin | 10 years ago
0 likes

At that sort of budget i'd definitely go by what fits you well. I'd also look at interval training rather than just miles and miles of riding. Talk to a good local shop or independent bike fitting service and get measured up properly, then find a good coach. I've not done either yet, other than the saddle my CAAD10 and I are getting along well.

as suggested in another thread, fit first, then short list based on geometry. then look at components. Wheels are one of the biggest influences on weight, swapping mine dropped my bike weight 700g for £400 including tyres.

Latest Comments