Funeral etiquette

by pdows47   May 6, 2013  

Hi folks.

Iw just wondering if there's an accepted general option when encountering a funeral cortège?? I passed one going the other way yesterday, and want sure of appropriate marks of respect. If not cycling I'd stop and remove headgear, but that's not safe on the bike, so what would/do you guys do??

7 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

When its passing the other direction, just look down at the road, as long as you don't stare, you are fine.

If you come upon on, follow it, don't pass.

If one come's upon you, get out of the way and let them pass.

If you are in the coffin, don't worry to much about it.

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8696 posts]
6th May 2013 - 13:44

like this
Like (5)

Do a wheelie to cheer everyone up.

posted by broomwagonblog [16 posts]
6th May 2013 - 13:47

like this
Like (5)

One of the (many) joys of not being a helmet wearer is to be able to tip ones cap to a passing funeral.
Chapeau!

posted by Some Fella [720 posts]
6th May 2013 - 14:15

like this
Like (4)

Cheers guys, not strictly relevant, but wrt helmets, I've had a bad experience not wearing one, is beyond question my wearing one now

posted by pdows47 [103 posts]
6th May 2013 - 14:37

like this
Like (0)

Was it Lance Armstrong's career?

posted by Tom Amos [238 posts]
6th May 2013 - 14:49

like this
Like (8)

Slipstreaming or reaching out for a sticky bottle would be a no-no too. Think the first response pretty much covers it.

My dad wants his ashes ridden up to top of Winnat's Pass by a peleton, so slipstreaming on that occasion would be appreciated.

posted by yourpaceormine [48 posts]
6th May 2013 - 15:08

like this
Like (4)

I will follow a cortège at a respectful distance. If there is one approaching or turning out of a side street I stop and remove my cap if safe to do so. I have, on a couple of occasions received a subtle nod of appreciation from the driver of the hearse. I think now days very few people know what to do when a cortège passes by though.

giff77's picture

posted by giff77 [1036 posts]
6th May 2013 - 17:29

like this
Like (9)