Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Funeral etiquette

Hi folks.

Iw just wondering if there's an accepted general option when encountering a funeral cortège?? I passed one going the other way yesterday, and want sure of appropriate marks of respect. If not cycling I'd stop and remove headgear, but that's not safe on the bike, so what would/do you guys do??

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

giff77 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I will follow a cortège at a respectful distance. If there is one approaching or turning out of a side street I stop and remove my cap if safe to do so. I have, on a couple of occasions received a subtle nod of appreciation from the driver of the hearse. I think now days very few people know what to do when a cortège passes by though.

yourpaceormine | 10 years ago
0 likes

Slipstreaming or reaching out for a sticky bottle would be a no-no too. Think the first response pretty much covers it.

My dad wants his ashes ridden up to top of Winnat's Pass by a peleton, so slipstreaming on that occasion would be appreciated.

Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

Was it Lance Armstrong's career?

pdows47 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cheers guys, not strictly relevant, but wrt helmets, I've had a bad experience not wearing one, is beyond question my wearing one now

Some Fella | 10 years ago
0 likes

One of the (many) joys of not being a helmet wearer is to be able to tip ones cap to a passing funeral.
Chapeau!

broomwagonblog | 10 years ago
0 likes

Do a wheelie to cheer everyone up.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

When its passing the other direction, just look down at the road, as long as you don't stare, you are fine.

If you come upon on, follow it, don't pass.

If one come's upon you, get out of the way and let them pass.

If you are in the coffin, don't worry to much about it.

Latest Comments