Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro d'Italia - Stage 3

Not to be snubbed twice, I'm starting this thread early. A win for Visconti gives him the Maglia Rosa. Felline looks a good bet, but so do Goss (climbing legs on) and Bouhanni.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

66 comments

Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes

Youth
1 Aru (AST)
2 Majka (SAX)
3 Betancur (AG2R)
4 Kelderman (BLA)
5 Rosa (AND)

0 likes

Lanterne Rouge Tiralongo (AST)

TheBigMong replied to Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes
Philip Unwin wrote:

Bookends for me then. Is there an award?  4

dave atkinson replied to TheBigMong | 10 years ago
0 likes
TheBigMong wrote:
Philip Unwin wrote:

Bookends for me then. Is there an award?  4

bookends would be a great award. might add that for the TdF  1

0 likes

Points classification
1 Paolini (KAT)
2 Cavendish (OPQ)
3 Evans (BMC)
4 Viviani (CAN)
5 Hesjedal (GAR)

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Only Paolini for me from the top 10, not as great as I'd hoped, was tempted to load up on GC guys but held back, bugger.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

Paolini, eh?  1
had mr nibbles and santambrogio too, so pretty happy with that

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wiggins 8th, looks like a day where safe GC picks worked out well.

Good work from Wiggins to avoid the maglia rosa, Sky will be happy with that I think.

TheBigMong | 10 years ago
0 likes

Finally, I pulled off a timely transfer.  16

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Paolini
Evans
Hesjedal

Good work by Hesjedal to pick up some time too thanks to bonuses.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Paolini wins! You beauty! Stage win and maglia Rosa too  4

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nice pick Dr H

0 likes

Final mountain classification end stage 3
1 Wauters (VCD)
2 Visconti (MOV)
3 Boaro (SAX)
4 Wurf (CAN)
5 Aru (CAN)

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

And Paolini attacks  4

Hope he can stay clear.

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Right - been out all day but watching now. Totally unpredictable stage so I bottled out of my transfers and just swapped a couple of my cheap TTT guys for other cheap guys - Gatto and Bole in for Zandio and Keukeleire. Still have 4 sprinters so could be a total disaster today - may be best for me if the break stays out, even though I don't have anyone in it!

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

Does this mean that bringing Puccio in was a poor move?

livestrongnick replied to chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

Does this mean that bringing Puccio in was a poor move?

He should score some points today, all depends on the last climb. Seems that the break will be dragged back except Taborre. so if he can finish in the bunch won't be much change!  39

JAndrewHill | 10 years ago
0 likes

Shudda picked taaborre. He wins The Sprint.

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

Taborre at 22" behind on GC is best placed of these.

Wauters at 34" behind is best placed on Youth.

Sky won't mind this.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Excellent, Pantano is in my purists.

I made four changes, Nibali, Visconti, Paolini, Felline in, Cav, Viviani, Chicchi, Ferrari out to give me

Nibali
Paolini
Felline
Visconti
Bouhanni
Bennati
Dehaes
Mezgec
Gavazzi

0 likes

Taborre (VIN)
Wauters (VCD)
Baoro (SAX)
Pantano (COL)
Bellemakers (LOT)
Rodriguez (AND)
De Backer (ARG)
have about 4.30 lead

0 likes

Jackson Rodriguez - AND

Dirk Bellemakers - LTB

Fabio Taborre - VIN

Manuele Boaro - STT

Bert De Backer - ARG

Jarlinson Pantano Gomez - COL

Willem Wauters - VCD

Looks to be the break of the day with 5mins+

obutterwick | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cavendish
Goss
Howard
Felline
Visconti
Puccio
Navardauskas
Dekker
Durasek

0 likes

I'm getting the GC guys in bit by bit.......starting with the best 2 descenders in the race(in my opinion):

Sanchez and Nibali in for Cavendish and Howard

Sanchez
Nibali
Wurf
Puccio
Goss
Navardauskas
Oliveira
Aru
Haas

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I didn't really know what to do, so I brought in Visconti and Viscioso, but who knows what will happen, the only thing im lacking is a GC guy...

Phinney
Haas
Visconti
Viscioso
Zandio
Wynants
Cav
Bouhanni
Gavazzi

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Don't know, tomorrow is a tough day and one where Puccio will likely not finish in the front group.

Given that Sky wanted Cataldo to get the pink I don't know how hard they'll work.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Still an hour to go but here's my team. If anyone is desperate enough to follow my lead and make some changes along my team feel free  3

Wilco Kelderman
Taylor Phinney
Kanstantin Siutsou
Stefano Locatelli
Leigh Howard
Jens Mouris
Jose Cayetano Sarmiento
Mauro Santambrogio
Thomas Dekker

0 likes

A Visconti win doesn't necessarily put him in pink......for example if any of SKY's fantastic 5(Puccio,Wiggo,Uran,Henao or Cataldo)come second then his 20 versus 12 would not be enough.

Then factor in 2 intermediate sprints worth 6,4,2 seconds each all coming before either of the categorised climbs.....don't be surprised to see someone go for bonuses today.

I see a break involving Bonnafond and Wurf today.....Visconti(the other KOM leader) won't be allowed to go with his GC position.Keizer's another likely breakaway guy and any more than three in that break will suit SKY,otherwise they may even try to get Puccio in a battle for any left over sprint bonuses available to the peloton.

I then expect a group of 30 or so to crest the final categorised climb together and then it's a daredevil downhill ride to the finish for the bonus seconds......my tip for the win today?

That would be telling(especially with 2 and a half hours left)

drheaton replied to ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

A Visconti win doesn't necessarily put him in pink......for example if any of SKY's fantastic 5(Puccio,Wiggo,Uran,Henao or Cataldo)come second then his 20 versus 12 would not be enough.

Then factor in 2 intermediate sprints worth 6,4,2 seconds each all coming before either of the categorised climbs.....don't be surprised to see someone go for bonuses today.

I see a break involving Bonnafond and Wurf today.....Visconti(the other KOM leader) won't be allowed to go with his GC position.Keizer's another likely breakaway guy and any more than three in that break will suit SKY,otherwise they may even try to get Puccio in a battle for any left over sprint bonuses available to the peloton.

I then expect a group of 30 or so to crest the final categorised climb together and then it's a daredevil downhill ride to the finish for the bonus seconds......my tip for the win today?

I think you're over estimating how much Sky will want to keep the pink today. They have no reason to work to keep Puccio in pink when they have bigger goals on the horizon. I reckon they'd let it go if they could to someone on a smaller team.

ray silvester replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

I think you're over estimating how much Sky will want to keep the pink today. They have no reason to work to keep Puccio in pink when they have bigger goals on the horizon. I reckon they'd let it go if they could to someone on a smaller team.

On Tuesday the race reaches its most southerly point, closest to Puccio’s home region of Sicily, and the British squad may feel morally obliged to defend the lead at least until there?

Pages

Latest Comments