Caribou RTB 58cms for sale. 26in wheel very tough road bike

by griggers   September 16, 2009  

I'm selling my faithfull RTB -one of the Caribou range I designed back in the 90s. This is a 'Vamoose' which means that it's very fast when needs be and can weigh as little as 22lbs. This is a genuine all-rounder as proved by lots of owners. It can be time trialled, triathlon'd, road raced, toured commuted or just ridden as a bullet-proof road bike.
The spec is mid-range - Campag Veloce/Chorus (I think) with 18 speed coming from adouble chainset up front. The gearing is good for general use i.e. will get up most really steep hills and can still be pedalled at 40 mph.
There's rack mounts and mudguards are fitted. It uses V-brakes with Travel Agents which are 100% reliable and bomb-proof. This is done to get away from the dangerous practice of trying to squeeze mudguards under race-clearance brakes. The mudguard clearance is about 3/4inch. Tyres fitted are 1.3in but 1.75s can be fitted with necessary wider mudguards. Knobblied NOT recommended - buy a crosser if you're that way inclined...
Ride-wise - this is a very slid bike. Handling has been designed to mimick the classic road bike despite having lower inertia 26in wheels. For those who are interested this is done by having less fork offset to increase the stabilising trail.
The frame is made from Deda tubing, filet brazed by Lee Cooper. Paint job is standard Vamoose - midnight blue with gold forks. Top tube falls away towards the rear in classic KONA style. Rear triangle is long to give heel clearance to panniers.
Size-wise this bike would suit any one between 5' 10" and 6' 3" who likes a long reach - the virtual top tube is 58cms.
How much? I reckon this rare classic should fetch £350 but am open to offers. It can be collected from Bath or posted for £15 more.
Please email back richard@cyclescheme.co.uk

1 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Hi

I've sent you an email concerning the bike

Regards

Denis

Regards

Denis

Denis99's picture

posted by Denis99 [1 posts]
17th September 2009 - 9:01