Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Most Combative Rider Award

drheaton wrote:

Points going up, for info Cavendish was awarded most combative... for the stage so he gets another 10 points...

I don't like the Most Combative Rider Award. Everything else in the race is based on a measurement, an order, who gets there first, etc.... This one? Well, it's judged. It's awarded. Not measured. It might as well be a beauty pageant award. I think it can be a pretty subjective thing... I propose we get rid of that award next season.  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

Alan Tullett | 10 years ago
0 likes

I agree that Greipel's win was a joke. Cav should have won it that day. Whether it should be ditched altogether is another matter though. Points for sprints and mountain points are enough for the break in most but not all cases. Bakelants is today's winner which makes sense and he wouldn't have got much otherwise because he went after the sprint.

dave atkinson replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

This is such an interesting topic...

daddyELVIS wrote:

Why do they always give the combativity award to a guy who breaks away at the start of the race...

drheaton wrote:

... Whatever the prize is called though it's pretty much guaranteed that, except for in exceptional circumstances, the breakaway will get it.

Well, that did not happen yesterday. Greipel got it...

drheaton wrote:

It's the one who shows the most fighting spirit, you can argue that by going for the stage win riders like Chavanel are more aggresive but you need real fighting spirit to try and sustain a break for as long as possible and try and keep the inevitable at bay...

drheaton wrote:

... The prize is so subjective...

And this from Cyclingnews.com:

cyclingnews wrote:

... Zero out of ten for judgement from L’Équipe

André Greipel (Lotto-Belisol) was a bemused recipient of the Prix de la Combativité for stage 6’s most aggressive rider. Given that there had been just one breakaway during the stage – Luis Maté’s short-lived early effort – the judges’ task was not an easy one, but L’Équipe haughtily awarded them 0/10 for their decision.

LÉquipe wrote:

“André Greipel wasn’t the most combative, he was the strongest. You shouldn’t confuse the two things, otherwise the prize would go to the winner of every stage,” ... “The most combative rider yesterday was Mark Cavendish. In the space of a few kilometres, [after his crash] he closed 40 seconds on the peloton after chasing back on through the convoy of cars.”

And, that (!) my friend, is why we should get rid of the Combativity Prize in this competition...  4

Arguments will now be heard from opposing counsel...  3

i can't really understand why you're wasting your time flogging this particular dead horse. but i guess your time is your own to waste as you see fit  39

drheaton replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

This is such an interesting topic...

daddyELVIS wrote:

Why do they always give the combativity award to a guy who breaks away at the start of the race...

drheaton wrote:

... Whatever the prize is called though it's pretty much guaranteed that, except for in exceptional circumstances, the breakaway will get it.

Well, that did not happen yesterday. Greipel got it...

drheaton wrote:

It's the one who shows the most fighting spirit, you can argue that by going for the stage win riders like Chavanel are more aggresive but you need real fighting spirit to try and sustain a break for as long as possible and try and keep the inevitable at bay...

drheaton wrote:

... The prize is so subjective...

And this from Cyclingnews.com:

cyclingnews wrote:

... Zero out of ten for judgement from L’Équipe

André Greipel (Lotto-Belisol) was a bemused recipient of the Prix de la Combativité for stage 6’s most aggressive rider. Given that there had been just one breakaway during the stage – Luis Maté’s short-lived early effort – the judges’ task was not an easy one, but L’Équipe haughtily awarded them 0/10 for their decision.

LÉquipe wrote:

“André Greipel wasn’t the most combative, he was the strongest. You shouldn’t confuse the two things, otherwise the prize would go to the winner of every stage,” ... “The most combative rider yesterday was Mark Cavendish. In the space of a few kilometres, [after his crash] he closed 40 seconds on the peloton after chasing back on through the convoy of cars.”

And, that (!) my friend, is why we should get rid of the Combativity Prize in this competition...  4

Arguments will now be heard from opposing counsel...  3

Yeah, you're not making much sense.

My quote says that its pretty much a definite that it'll go to a break except in exceptional circumstances. Yesterday was exceptional in that there was no real break meaning it had to go to someone else. Once you remove the break from the equation the who gets it? No doubt you'd complain if Cav won it or anyone else, you just have a dislike of the prize.

Take today as an example. Bakelandts was a deserving winner of the 10 points, he was aggressive, combative and tried hard to get away.

What you're proposing is that we scrap a prize you don't like because on one stage out of 21 you don't agree with the winner.

enrique replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

... What you're proposing is that we scrap a prize you don't like...

Pretty much. Yes!  4

drheaton wrote:

... because you don't agree with the winner...

... but not because I don't agree with the winner, I just don't agree to having it be scored for the game!... I don't think anybody should get points for that!... I'd rather we get scores for the Teams Classification than that (!)...  39 Or at least notch it down to 5 points (!)...

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Or we keep it as no one else seems to have much of a problem with it.

Issue closed

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just heard on EuroSport the whole OPQ team got the Combativity award! 10 points for every OPQ rider today?  4 Wow!  1

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

not what it says on letour.fr - cav gets them unless it changes on there

Pages

Latest Comments