Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The Giro Purist thread

I figured the purist comp deserved a separate thread so we can keep purist discussions separate from the main stage threads.

My Purist team is climber biased:

Wiggins
Nibali
Scarponi
Santambrogio
Betancur
Majka
Pantano
Locatelli
Gavazzi

Gavazzi is my only 'sprinter' but I've effectively got 5 team leaders and Betancur who I think will be stronger than Pozzovivo, at least to start with.

Majka and Betancur are in there for young rider points as is Locatelli although he and Pantano are my breakaway guys.  Gavazzi, I hope, can feature in a few flat stages but I shied away from Bouhanni or Cav as just don't see their being enough stages for them to make them worth picking over the likes of Santambrogio or Scarponi.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

51 comments

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Kept Cav in my purist team as the only sprinter, he seems on form and with the added points from the points comp he is a better bet than some of the gc boys.

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Need Cav (and preferably Bole) to have a good couple of days now!

Pedals | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just seen I'm top if the purist league for the giro today! Very happy indeed and I'm enjoying this moment of what I am sure is short-lived one off glory! Finally after 3 years playing this game I have finally reached the top of one table!  4

Pedals | 10 years ago
0 likes

My purist team!
Julien Berard (ALM)
Ryder Hesjedal (GRM)
John Degenkolb (ARG)
Luca Paolini (KAT)
Mauro Santambrogio (VIN)
Mark Cavendish (OPQ)
Pieter Weening (GRE)
Vladimir Karpets (MOV)
Grega Bole (VCD)

Stumps replied to Pedals | 10 years ago
0 likes
Pedals wrote:

Just seen I'm top if the purist league for the giro today! Very happy indeed and I'm enjoying this moment of what I am sure is short-lived one off glory! Finally after 3 years playing this game I have finally reached the top of one table!  4

41  41  41  41

Strathlubnaig | 10 years ago
0 likes

ffs ! Degenkolb has bailed on me ! Argh....

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've still got all 9 upright but sitting 582nd in purist is not very good at all.

Wiggins,Kelderman,Nibali,Sanchez,Betancur,Aru,Weening,Garzelli,Ludviggson.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'll admit that Cav (142 points) and Viviani (143) are both doing better than I expected and are both sound picks, especially with at least two sprint finishes likely.

Of the two Viviani I think would have been the better pick as he seems to be chasing intermediate sprints and is cheaper.

I think the big one most people missed was Evans, at 196 points he's outscored everyone so far by a good 30 points, second and third are Uran (167) and Nibali (161) then there's a few at the 140ish mark.

My team of

Wiggins
Nibali
Scarponi
Santambrogio
Betancur
Majka
Pantano
Locatelli
Gavazzi

is doing ok but Locatelli has been quiet and the obvious misses (Pirazzi, Battaglin, Di Luca) have hurt me. I'm 65th in the purist comp some 160 points behind the leader and likely to drop a few places again on the flat stages.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Agree about Cav and Viviani, i sort of went with a mixture of both sprinters and climbers. Sitting 117th at the mo but 193 points behind, so need a bit of a miracle. Really disappointed with Garzelli and i thought Weening might have done better.

Michele Scarponi
Thomas Dekker
Alex Dowsett
Mauro Santambrogio
Mark Cavendish
Stefano Garzelli
Pieter Weening
Vicenzo Nibali
Stefano Pirazzi

Philip Unwin | 10 years ago
0 likes

My purist team, very disappointed with Aru, Pietropolli and Locatelli who have all been anonymous.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

*sigh* bloody Wiggins, that's totally buggered my purist Giro up.

Was hoping he'd come good for the french mountains but instead it looks like he may pull out and prepare for the Tour instead.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Moved up into the 90's, still a canny way off but another victory for Cav tomorrow will help.

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

so with wiggo pulling out im now down to 6 riders......  20

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

yup, down to six too now wiggns, hesjedal and cattaneo have all sacked it off. wonder if i'll lose any more?

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Im down to 7 now Wiggins and Bouhanni has gone

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Still got 8, hoping Scarponi and Majka can finally come good. Also, hoping Locatelli actually does, well, anything. He's been totally non-existent so far.

ray silvester replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Still got 8, hoping Scarponi and Majka can finally come good. Also, hoping Locatelli actually does, well, anything. He's been totally non-existent so far.

I'd say Scarponi and Majka are over-achieving in this to be honest(especially Rafa).....not sure how that equates to Fantasy pts though?

ray silvester replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Didn't pick Wiggins for mine, kept in Cav.

Michele Scarponi
Thomas Dekker
Alex Dowsett
Mauro Santambrogio
Mark Cavendish
Stefano Garzelli
Pieter Weening
Vicenzo Nibali
Stefano Pirazzi

That's looking pretty decent stumpy?

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes

If I'm not mistaken, this would have been the perfect Purist team for the Giro:

Vicenzo Nibali
Cadel Evans
Carlos Alberto Betancur
Giovanni Visconti
Mauro Santambrogio
Stefano Pirazzi
Rafal Majka
Maxim Belkov
Danilo Di Luca

It would have netted a grand total of 2340 points if I did my math right!  1 And, had anybody selected it, would have gotten you into the No. 101 in the overall competition, without (!) making a single (!) transfer!  39  3

The Best (?) Investment (?) Danilo Di Luca who at 3.0 brought in 104 points, then Luka Mezgec who at 3.0 brought in 100 points...

ray silvester replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, this would have been the perfect Purist team for the Giro:

Vicenzo Nibali
Cadel Evans
Carlos Alberto Betancur
Giovanni Visconti
Mauro Santambrogio
Stefano Pirazzi
Rafal Majka
Maxim Belkov
Danilo Di Luca

It would have netted a grand total of 2340 points if I did my math right!  1 And, had anybody selected it, would have gotten you into the No. 101 in the overall competition, without (!) making a single (!) transfer!  39  3

The Best (?) Investment (?) Danilo Di Luca who at 3.0 brought in 104 points, then Luka Mezgec who at 3.0 brought in 100 points...

Man you've got some serious time on your hands LOL  26

Good work though  3

ray silvester replied to ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

Great minds think alike on Gavazzi.....let's hope he can stay between the...ahem....'white lines'?

Surprised no Samu though Dr?

I guess a Cav red jersey in Brescia would kill us both though!!

Wiggins(must have)
Nibali(ditto)
Weening(great form)
Garzelli(a last swansong)
Gavazzi(likely to be there at the end-hometown=Brescia)
Sanchez(bargain of the Giro for me)
Betancur(youth)
Aru(youth)
Ludviggson(breaks + decent TT)

Well there's some chickens home to roost re Cav,Gavazzi,Wiggo and even Samu to a certain extent.

I guess from that you'll know how my Giro went  14

Pages

Latest Comments